WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Direct TV question

AEA

Reaction score
We have not updated to the genie system. We currently take one of the bedroom boxes in the rv when we travel.
If we update to the genie can we use one of the new boxes in the same way?
The sat. antenna on the rv is for Direct tv so I think we are pretty much locked into them.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
We have not updated to the genie system. We currently take one of the bedroom boxes in the rv when we travel.
If we update to the genie can we use one of the new boxes in the same way?
The sat. antenna on the rv is for Direct tv so I think we are pretty much locked into them.

If you could, I think it would have to be the main box, and render all the others useless. As I understand it, the genies that are in my bedrooms are just relays for the actual "work" that happens in the main box, as in they cannot operate independent of it, only part of the system. They don't hold any of the "brains" only the main box does. Hope this helps.

250Eagle

Reaction score
No you can't use a genie box in the RV. but you can keep the box you have and still use it in the house and take it with you in the RV. I just updated mine to the genie system and told them I was going to keep the box I used on my RV and take from the garage to the RV. Just have to pay $6 per month to keep the box active.

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score
No you can't use a genie box in the RV. but you can keep the box you have and still use it in the house and take it with you in the RV. I just updated mine to the genie system and told them I was going to keep the box I used on my RV and take from the garage to the RV. Just have to pay $6 per month to keep the box active.

We did the same thing but we keep 2 boxes so we can use them both in our Rv. You have to go into the tv settings and change to a 18in dish because the dish for the genie is different than the one for your Rv .

Reaper1

Reaction score
I do the same thing in my RV but I only activate when I'm going to use it. Saves some money if you go long periods of time without using the RV.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I do the same thing in my RV but I only activate when I'm going to use it. Saves some money if you go long periods of time without using the RV.

Also, after a period of non-use they deactivate on their own anyway (but you're still charged for it monthly), so you have to call to reactivate them.

Happened almost every time we took our toy hauler out - had to make a call to get the receiver to work.

May as we'll deactivate it to save a few bucks.

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score

We did the same thing but we keep 2 boxes so we can use them both in our Rv. You have to go into the tv settings and change to a 18in dish because the dish for the genie is different than the one for your Rv .

That's how we roll :thumbup:

AEA

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, will probably be changing to a genie soon.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
YEah, I've been real happy with the Genie system. When I set up my house I ordered one other stand alone DVR and 2 receivers, which work in conjunction with the genie but can be removed and used separately from the genie system. DVR and one receiver is in the vacation house and the other I keep on the home system to use in the RV if needed.:thumbup::thumbup:

primetime

Reaction score
I updated to genie and left one standard for the RV. You Cannot use the genie box in Rv

rush1

Reaction score
Also, after a period of non-use they deactivate on their own anyway (but you're still charged for it monthly), so you have to call to reactivate them.

Happened almost every time we took our toy hauler out - had to make a call to get the receiver to work.

May as we'll deactivate it to save a few bucks.

You can reactivate your box yourself by going online or using your app on your phone. I reactivate the one in my rv myself every time I go out because I hate waiting on hold with them, the second you do it the box will start working, just look under my equipment and you will see your receivers and there's a button that says reactivate receiver and your done.

lalhc

Islander Trailer Trash
Reaction score
YEah, I've been real happy with the Genie system. When I set up my house I ordered one other stand alone DVR and 2 receivers, which work in conjunction with the genie but can be removed and used separately from the genie system. DVR and one receiver is in the vacation house and the other I keep on the home system to use in the RV if needed.:thumbup::thumbup:

I've had issues with my Genie system for the past 10 months. The screen freezes, pixilates, and the damn remotes have a mind of their own! I've had a Direct technician come out several times, and could never find anything. I've even had my remotes swapped out.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
^^^ The Genies get their data over WiFi, the remotes are RF.

Sounds like you may have a signal-interference issue?

srttruck

Reaction score
I have been using the genie system in my rv for over a year. You do have to have a high def dish. I first started with the wired genie system but now have the wireless system. To make everything easier to swap from the house to the rv I bought a separate power inserter and power supplies for the coach, makes it a simple unplug and plug in process. :thumbup: so the answer is yes you can use the genie system, you do need a high def dish and you do have to use the main box.