WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dirt bike dilemma. What to buy?

Boat211

Reaction score
So I am considering buying a new dirt bike. My background is small bore motocross bikes. I am much more offload than motocross but like the performance of the motocross bikes. Grew up riding 125 2 strokes mostly. In 04 I bought a RMZ 250. Absolutely loved the bike. In 07 I bought another RMZ 250. Again, loved the bike. I kinda lost interest in riding for a while so I sold it. A couple years ago I needed a project so bought a 2006 YZ 125. Rebuilt the entire bike. Turned out really cool. In early 2017 my son decided to take up dirt bikes. Bought him a DRZ 125 that he grew out of in literally 3 rides. Then got him a RM 85. He rode that for about 7 months. Had a few issues with it so finally got rid of it. He has raced a little motocross and is having fun so I had the suspension re done for him on the YZ 125. He is doing really good on it. So now I want a bike again but can't decide what I want. I am attracted to the KTM 250xc-f. Also considering the Yamaha YZ 250FX. Both 4 strokes and both electric start. The last one that sounds somewhat appealing is the KTM 150xc. I have not ridden any of these so all that I can do is listen to others and read reviews. Anyone on here have experience with any of these?

oldschool

Reaction score
Well, I could think of worse dilemmas to have. I would try to ride all the bikes you're considering. That might be tough, but sometimes dealers have demo rides. I make a habit of never riding anyone else's bike, that way mine is the best(as far as I know).

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Per Malcom Smith the ktm 350 is the hot ticket.

DLC

Reaction score
KTM has a 300 2 stroke and it comes with ELE start, uncle has one and it’s an awesome bike. Not sure what the model it is. It’s a little limited in the desert.

My buddy has a newer Husky fe 350 and also an older KTM 520, he loves the 350 nice and lite but doesn’t have the top end raw power for the desert like the 520 does

I would be looking for something with EFI, they are so easy to use no carb cleaning or adjusting, just change the oil and clean filter.
Good luck and post up what ever you get

welldigger00

Reaction score
I bought the yz 250x, and I absolutely love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boat211

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Im in nor cal and ride in the mountains mainly. Tight single track is my preference. Never ridden in the desert. Occasional motocross track but not much.

welldigger00

Reaction score
I am a woods and hill climb rider, and the four strokes can’t take the over hearing abuse like the two strokes can.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I am a woods and hill climb rider, and the four strokes can’t take the over hearing abuse like the two strokes can.

How many Hrs do you see out of your top ends?

I have not had a 2 stroke in years. 250/450 4 strokes. Looking to get back in to riding. Mainly desert. Have been contemplating a 250 stoke.

welldigger00

Reaction score
I’ll put a new piston in every 75 hrs or so. I’ve put around 15 or so pistons in on my 02 yz, and the cylinder is still within specs. I can say enough about Yamaha. They are the best machines for dependability and serviceability.

lf2

Reaction score
KTM has a 300 2 stroke and it comes with ELE start, uncle has one and it’s an awesome bike. Not sure what the model it is. It’s a little limited in the desert.

My buddy has a newer Husky fe 350 and also an older KTM 520, he loves the 350 nice and lite but doesn’t have the top end raw power for the desert like the 520 does

I would be looking for something with EFI, they are so easy to use no carb cleaning or adjusting, just change the oil and clean filter.
Good luck and post up what ever you get

I have a ktm 300xcw 2 stroke and agree awesome bike. Also the 2018 300's are efi. I've also ridden the 350 4 stroke and liked that also. For trail, single track riding either of those are great choices.

Reactions: DLC

DLC

Reaction score
After reading lf2 response it kind of matters where you will be riding or what your going to do with it...

I would love to have a husky fe 350 and a fe 501, one for tight single track light weight, both feet on the ground and one for the desert both would need to be EFI

The 350 would be great in big bear and Havasu and the 501 would be great in Mexico and the Desert

Any body have a money tree I can prune?

the510

Reaction score
husky has some really nice bikes. They are outfitted a little nicer than KTM from the factory. The KTM 6 Days editions are the equivalent to the Husqvarnas.

If you have the money, and like to be different take a serious look at the BETA! Beta is really doing some great things. Clutch is dialed in now, and there suspension is very good.