WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dirt haulers and bouncing rocks on the hwy

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I've also heard if you can get a phone number the rock and gravel companies will often replace windshields. Paint jobs? That's a totally different category. Northern part of the 605 has been a bad territory for rocks etc. Perhaps worse, can be the LB Fwy near the Harbor. It typically doesn't hit you from off of the hauler. You just run over the metal debris on the Fwy. Can be a bad deal.

WATERDOG

Eliminator Eagle Flying free in the heavens above!
Reaction score
Been a very long time since I took my CDL test, but I seem to remember the only things that can legally fall from a truck are:
Water and feathers of fowl.
If I'm wrong I'll update my memory bank.
Live bird feathers.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Yikes , Must suck to drive that rough not takin care of hunk of junk !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had a lot of cleaning to do afyer the original driver quit 😜😜

Your ad here

Reaction score
I dont know how much truth there is in what I was told a few years ago, but I was told the aggregate in az tends to be more diamond shape vs the traditional round style that most of california uses. I get it, sharpe edges would be more prone to causing damage to a laminate windshield

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
I've seen the opposite. California uses crushed rock. Arizona seems to use river rock (round) in everything.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks guys. I'm not in the industry and have no idea what types/shapes are commonly used

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

D19

Reaction score
FWIW I drove end dump for 10 yrs. Any body stupid enough to follow a belly dump,transfer, or end dump has no bitch.

Sometimes you can’t switch lanes or get around them as fast as you want to due to other cars on the road. Sometimes there’s crap blowing back really far.

The “You shouldn’t follow me” or “It hit the ground first” mentality is totally asinine.

Just cover and secure your load. Is it that difficult?

infield

Reaction score
They may be trouble but I am thinking about buying one.

Your ad here

Reaction score
There is a trucker on here that drives one. I recall seeing he has a license plate the refers to breaking windows. Fuck that, no care for someone else’s property? Must not care about your own truck to keep it in good shape so it doesn’t leak the shit you’re carrying. It’s got to be a shitty job, so maybe they are just pissed off at life and the fact they’re stuck in a truck.
I've been behind that guy on the freeway many times and no busted glass. Badass rig with sweet straight pipes.

4Waters

Reaction score
My company load's and hauls approximately 150 load's of dirt a day in double bottom dump's. We hire a broker to provide the trucks to haul the dirt off. Most of the trucks are owner operator's using set's of trailer's owned by the broker. Most of the trailers are 10-15 years old and older and could use a lot of love. The majority of the debris you see is coming from the belly gates that are worn out and don't seal properly. Most dirt is pretty harmless and doesn't have a lot of small rock. The double bottom dump's that are hauling construction materials to concrete plants and such cause most of the damages. They are hauling pea gravel, 1" crushed rock and sand.
Are those the trucks lined up along Zoo Dr. next to 134fwy?

Backlash

Reaction score
Please stay 200ft back please. I buy people windshields all the time if there nice and not full of shit most of the time its just a road hazard and the tires kick up stuff. Alot of people think the boxes are completely full with material and they see rocks come out from the top.

Whenever I've seen their trucks, they always look nice and clean. 👍

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I've also heard if you can get a phone number the rock and gravel companies will often replace windshields. Paint jobs? That's a totally different category. Northern part of the 605 has been a bad territory for rocks etc. Perhaps worse, can be the LB Fwy near the Harbor. It typically doesn't hit you from off of the hauler. You just run over the metal debris on the Fwy. Can be a bad deal.
Are those the trucks lined up along Zoo Dr. next to 134fwy?

No, right now we are working in Korea Town off of Vermont.

brgrcru

Reaction score
Maybe we should lump them all together .
Aggregerete haulers
Wake boats
Jet boats
High speed fly bys at foxes
Jet skis.
Fucking crazy!

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Former Auto Glasshole here.
Check local and state requirements for loads being covered. If they are not compliant,
they're liable. Putting a sign that states "not responsible for windshield damage" does not absolve them of liability. It's a fight you have to decide whether or not to engage in though.
Results my vary. I suggest also to stay the hell away from them as much as possible.
My suggestion to everyone out there is to carry $0 deductible on glass.
For what amounts to a few extra bucks a year will pay off with peace of mind and less money out of pocket in the long run. I have seen people pay $250 deductibles for $260 windshields multiple times due to bad luck and jobs that require a lot of time on the road. Sucks.
Windshields are cheap due to the sheer numbers being replaced, followed by drivers and passengers door lites. Tempered side and back lites are serious money depending on vehicle and glass options.
Do business with a good mom and pop glass shop. Support the locals. Find the best installer with integrity.
And never, EVER, EVER do business with fucking Safelite Auto Glass !!!
and never let any other company install Safelite garbage glass on your vehicle!!! Demand OEM glass!!

Trust me on this!

I love belly dumps, those trucks help add to my kids college funds [emoji51]

Couple of things to add......Demand OEM all you want but MOST insurance companies have a 3 year old cut off with OEM parts. Even with drivers assistance features. They will pay for aftermarket parts and you are responsible for the difference in cost. Having said that, my policy is if there are ADAS features then i’m either using OEM parts otherwise i pass on the job.

Belron/Safelite is a scumbag company and their third party billing administrator Safelite Solutions lets them have their grubby hands in with insurance companies and them together trying to set market pricing. I refuse to participate in their network so i work with insurance companies directly.

Windshields are not cheap anymore....for several reasons. Where as Laminated and curved tempered door glasses are fairly inexpensive. But everyone knows a guy that will do a windshield replacement for 150 bucks and i tell customers good luck with that almost every day.

I have a few fleet accounts and specifically two of them each have over 50 triaxles and they keep their trucks spotless, cover loads and almost never have anyone calling in about their trucks breaking windshields.

I agree with you and i also tell people every day to add glass coverage with the lowest deductible they can get. It is worth it now on brand new cars where an average replacement can be in excess of $1,000 when using OEM parts.

YumaRivernaut

How Far Off Was I?
Reaction score
I love belly dumps, those trucks help add to my kids college funds
emoji51.png

Couple of things to add......Demand OEM all you want but MOST insurance companies have a 3 year old cut off with OEM parts. Even with drivers assistance features. They will pay for aftermarket parts and you are responsible for the difference in cost. Having said that, my policy is if there are ADAS features then i’m either using OEM parts otherwise i pass on the job.

Belron/Safelite is a scumbag company and their third party billing administrator Safelite Solutions lets them have their grubby hands in with insurance companies and them together trying to set market pricing. I refuse to participate in their network so i work with insurance companies directly.

Windshields are not cheap anymore....for several reasons. Where as Laminated and curved tempered door glasses are fairly inexpensive. But everyone knows a guy that will do a windshield replacement for 150 bucks and i tell customers good luck with that almost every day.

I have a few fleet accounts and specifically two of them each have over 50 triaxles and they keep their trucks spotless, cover loads and almost never have anyone calling in about their trucks breaking windshields.

I agree with you and i also tell people every day to add glass coverage with the lowest deductible they can get. It is worth it now on brand new cars where an average replacement can be in excess of $1,000 when using OEM parts.

Never heard about the 3 year cutoff. Must be something recent as I have been out for about 10 years.
And yeah, I was seeing all the stuff they were putting in the windshields, rain sensors, antennas, Audis and V dubs with aluminum pillars and pinch welds requiring special urethanes, ect.
Yeah, the under cutting of pricing started with Slutlite and fucking dirtbag fuckers like Rick Chance of Empire auto glass in AZ.
They ruined it for us mom and pops.
The stories I could tell about Sloblite when I was naive and just starting in the industry would blow your mind. Worked for Scumlite for one year. I new they were shitty from the get go but needed the job after a really bad divorce. It was an absolute nightmare.
The worst, shittiest bunch of fucking bottom feeders in the industry.
I will always do anything I can to take them down.
Scum of the earth.
Fuck Safelite!
images.jpeg.jpg

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Try being on a motorcycle behind one of them :mad:

I never cared about (or noticed, really) this kind of thing, until I started riding for a living. I’ve written a crapload of tickets for it since. The bad ones you can feel a LONG way before you ever see them. It’s always the older beat up belly dumps in my experience.

rrrr

Reaction score
And never, EVER, EVER do business with fucking Safelite Auto Glass !!!
and never let any other company install Safelite garbage glass on your vehicle!!! Demand OEM glass!!

Trust me on this!

A few years ago my idiot son broke the back glass on my Excursion by closing it before the bottom doors were shut. He took it to a glass shop, then returned the truck to me after repair. The window reveal wasn't right, and the glass didn't fit flush.

I took it back to the shop. The owner explained the cheap window the insurance paid for was the issue. He removed the trim, and showed me the misalignment of the holes in the glass with the body mounting bolts. Some holes didn't line up at all.

He offered to replace the glass free if I would pay the difference for the OEM part, which I did. I came back to his shop when the Ford glass arrived, and it was just as he had said. The OEM glass bolted up perfectly and fit flush.

I dunno if he was bullshitting about what the insurance would pay, but he seemed earnest and the difference was only $25 or so.

YumaRivernaut

How Far Off Was I?
Reaction score
A few years ago my idiot son broke the back glass on my Excursion by closing it before the bottom doors were shut. He took it to a glass shop, then returned the truck to me after repair. The window reveal wasn't right, and the glass didn't fit flush.

I took it back to the shop. The owner explained the cheap window the insurance paid for was the issue. He removed the trim, and showed me the misalignment of the holes in the glass with the body mounting bolts. Some holes didn't line up at all.

He offered to replace the glass free if I would pay the difference for the OEM part, which I did. I came back to his shop when the Ford glass arrived, and it was just as he had said. The OEM glass bolted up perfectly and fit flush.

I dunno if he was bullshitting about what the insurance would pay, but he seemed earnest and the difference was only $25 or so.
Seems legitimate. Unfortunately now most aftermarket glass is made by the Chicoms. Go figure. OEM will always fit better. Ford glass , used be Libby Owen's Ford and is now Pilkington and usually manufactured in Mexico. Top notch plant over there, seen it my self. Good stuff 👍

HBCraig

Reaction score
Never heard about the 3 year cutoff. Must be something recent as I have been out for about 10 years.
And yeah, I was seeing all the stuff they were putting in the windshields, rain sensors, antennas, Audis and V dubs with aluminum pillars and pinch welds requiring special urethanes, ect.
Yeah, the under cutting of pricing started with Slutlite and fucking dirtbag fuckers like Rick Chance of Empire auto glass in AZ.
They ruined it for us mom and pops.
The stories I could tell about Sloblite when I was naive and just starting in the industry would blow your mind. Worked for Scumlite for one year. I new they were shitty from the get go but needed the job after a really bad divorce. It was an absolute nightmare.
The worst, shittiest bunch of fucking bottom feeders in the industry.
I will always do anything I can to take them down.
Scum of the earth.
Fuck Safelite!
View attachment 885950

Is Empire Glass related at all to the Empire CAT owners ?

YumaRivernaut

How Far Off Was I?
Reaction score
Is Empire Glass related at all to the Empire CAT owners ?
Negative.
Dont know if it's even around anymore. Maybe got bought out or something.
Rick Chance got murdered by a stripper whore and her stripper whore boyfriend when they lured him to a hotel in Tempe to rob him around 20 years ago.
He had a jewelry side gig and flaunted it in public. Carried a satchel full of bling cuffed to his wrist all the time. Sleazy dumbfuck that he was, it cost him his life.
Wasn't the first time either. He got Mickey Finned and rolled by another stripper whore at his home a few years prior.
He was a real piece work for sure.