WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dirt haulers and bouncing rocks on the hwy

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Who else hates these trucks? The owners of these trucks know what they are doing to peoples expensive cars and trucks yet they do nothing about it. I guess they hope no one will go through the effort of tracking their company down and complain or ask for reimbursement for windshields or other damage. However some people must call and ask for repair money because I see some of these trucks now with signs on the back that say”stay back 200ft” well that’s not going to work cause you’d need about 1000ft to avoid bouncing rocks at 80 miles per hour.

I got a good spray of gravel off one on the 40 last week in my shinny 50k pickup truck. I couldn’t get far enough into the shoulder when I passed him to avoid the gut wrenching sound it makes when you are being sprayed with sand. The sound reminds me of pop rocks candy from when I was a kid. They were lined up thick on the 40 moving dirt down the road about 5 miles. You know where they are putting all those drains in the ground for all that rain water?

B4452CBE-E6DE-4D76-8E26-9B4CA08AD658.jpeg

gqchris

Reaction score
I hate these fucksticks with a passion. They could care less and I have had more than one occasion a rock in windshield from them.

I tried to fight once. I had a video and all. I gave up. Not worth the stress.

I dont have a solution other then flipping the bird to them passing by!

grumpy88

Reaction score
It does suck . I see a lot of them that have that sticker your referring to but it also says not liable for rock chips .

welldigger00

Reaction score
They don’t have to cover the load. It just has to be 6” below the rail. The rocks or sand don’t come off the top of the load, usually from the gate, or fenders when they got loaded, and the driver didn’t sweep the material off, or something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Yep, see it all the time. I try to stay as far from them as possible. All the way to the left then I pass., and do it quickly Too many times I’ve received little gifts from them in the past.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
@Rvrluvr
Can probably answer you the best but from my understanding is once stuff hits the ground they aren't liable. If it flies out and hits you "in flight" then maybe, but good luck proving that.
It doesn't seem fair but it is what it is.
As luck has it, I've been struck by rocks from opposing traffic kicking up something more than driving behind something.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets completely frustrated by this. I could be wrong, but could they not like spray off the fenders and tires when they finish getting loaded? Would that not help? Or is it all simply leaking from bad seals? Which brings another question, can they please replace these old seals? My windshield only car and paint on my truck would really appreciate it.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Years ago (25+) I lost a windshield trying to get around from one of those trucks. I called the number on the door and they paid for a new one.

Reactions: D19

calkid

Reaction score
Been a very long time since I took my CDL test, but I seem to remember the only things that can legally fall from a truck are:
Water and feathers of fowl.
If I'm wrong I'll update my memory bank.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Been a very long time since I took my CDL test, but I seem to remember the only things that can legally fall from a truck are:
Water and feathers of fowl.
If I'm wrong I'll update my memory bank.
Onion skins too.😊

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
Lol, I know the owners well and use to do this for them in college.

Trust me, it was a war with stuff falling out and cars wanting insurance info. They use to pay us per load so it was also a race all day everyday to make the money. Very unsafe.

Taboma

Reaction score
I keep waiting for the guy in the yellow hazmat suit and outboard strapped to his ass to show up ---- and then he'll graciously share some insight from a rock haulers POV :eek: 😂

brgrcru

Reaction score
Back in another life . Owning dump transfer .
Just say'n , if I was going to buy a windshield , I was going to buy a windshield . Follow me into job site and complain and bitch . I'll bring my , fuck you asshole pipe out. that windshield was going to be on your lap . Just say'n .

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
I got nailed by one on Pearblosson Hwy last year coming home from the river, kid got video, the company sent a company to replace my windshield and gave me a few bucks for the chips all over the front of my truck....

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
If some of these guys would have a good battery powered leaf blower in their truck, they could blow most of the residual gravel off the trailer/ fenders in less than a minute. It would make a big difference in the amount dropped on the highway.

vstdispatch

Reaction score
Please stay 200ft back please. I buy people windshields all the time if there nice and not full of shit most of the time its just a road hazard and the tires kick up stuff. Alot of people think the boxes are completely full with material and they see rocks come out from the top.

Attachments

• 20191210_143719.jpg
    20191210_143719.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 157

gqchris

Reaction score
Please stay 200ft back please. I buy people windshields all the time if there nice and not full of shit most of the time its just a road hazard and the tires kick up stuff. Alot of people think the boxes are completely full with material and they see rocks come out from the top.

I dont stress the top loads like that. Its the belly dumpers that seem to dribble rocks the whole way.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I do know part of the problem is residual material on the fenders and other surfaces. Ive watched these trucks closely and have seen it vibrating on these surfaces as they go down the road before it falls off. However it can come from the top too if filled too high. A cyclone of swirling sand you can sometimes see with the naked eye. My guess is most of these companies buy a few windshields a year and chalk it up to cost of doing business. Pay you to go away essentially. It’s still not right, most people say/do nothing.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
It does suck . I see a lot of them that have that sticker your referring to but it also says not liable for rock chips .
I’ve seen the “Not Liable For Rock Chips” sigh before too lol. Umm just because you say you’re not liable doesn’t mean youre not liable 🤔😂

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
I didnt see it happen so you can suck it 👍. Follow me to a job site if you want, but you better hope you get good milage. I usually run 3-400 miles before stopping.

Instead of busting out the phone to grab a pic Idda got my “$50k” pickup outta there. BTW my dump truck cost $300k. Fuck you I win😎

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I’ve got them to pay my deductible for broken windshield once.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
There is a trucker on here that drives one. I recall seeing he has a license plate the refers to breaking windows. Fuck that, no care for someone else’s property? Must not care about your own truck to keep it in good shape so it doesn’t leak the shit you’re carrying. It’s got to be a shitty job, so maybe they are just pissed off at life and the fact they’re stuck in a truck.

Last edited:

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
It's just like anything else in life, some care and will clean up, some won't. There are stars and turds in every profession. Belly dumps are going to drop stuff period. Some guys run the little catch diaper with i think is bitchin. To be fair the most damage I ever received was from a lowboy where the driver was too lazy to sweep the deck after loading a skid steer

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Admittedly I posted this thinking there were some on here that drove these trucks and at the same time I knew there would people on here that have had an issue at one time or another With one of them. I confirmed what I pretty much already knew.

For the masses reading this, if you get a cracked windshield from one of these trucks and there is a phone number or company name on the truck it’s worthwhile calling them as they will most likely pay for it to be fixed without putting up much of a struggle. I wouldn’t be surprised if the person answering calls for the company has a canned response ready to go.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
There is a trucker on here that drives one. I recall seeing he has a license plate the refers to breaking windows. Fuck that, no care for someone else’s property? Must not care about your own truck to keep it in good shape so it doesn’t leak the shit you’re carrying. It’s got to be a shitty job, so maybe they are just pissed off at life and the fact their stuck in truck.
Yep. Dont care at all. I wont even wash it...just a dump truck right. License plate = sarcasm 😏😏
DDCFD157-204C-4A12-A0E5-A38C8356C8D1.jpeg

YumaRivernaut

How Far Off Was I?
Reaction score
Former Auto Glasshole here.
Check local and state requirements for loads being covered. If they are not compliant,
they're liable. Putting a sign that states "not responsible for windshield damage" does not absolve them of liability. It's a fight you have to decide whether or not to engage in though.
Results my vary. I suggest also to stay the hell away from them as much as possible.
My suggestion to everyone out there is to carry $0 deductible on glass.
For what amounts to a few extra bucks a year will pay off with peace of mind and less money out of pocket in the long run. I have seen people pay $250 deductibles for $260 windshields multiple times due to bad luck and jobs that require a lot of time on the road. Sucks.
Windshields are cheap due to the sheer numbers being replaced, followed by drivers and passengers door lites. Tempered side and back lites are serious money depending on vehicle and glass options.
Do business with a good mom and pop glass shop. Support the locals. Find the best installer with integrity.
And never, EVER, EVER do business with fucking Safelite Auto Glass !!!
and never let any other company install Safelite garbage glass on your vehicle!!! Demand OEM glass!!

Trust me on this!

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score
Former Auto Glasshole here.
Check local and state requirements for loads being covered. If they are not compliant,
they're liable. Putting a sign that states "not responsible for windshield damage" does not absolve them of liability. It's a fight you have to decide whether or not to engage in though.
Results my vary. I suggest also to stay the hell away from them as much as possible.
My suggestion to everyone out there is to carry $0 deductible on glass.
For what amounts to a few extra bucks a year will pay off with peace of mind and less money out of pocket in the long run. I have seen people pay $250 deductibles for $260 windshields multiple times due to bad luck and jobs that require a lot of time on the road. Sucks.
Windshields are cheap due to the sheer numbers being replaced, followed by drivers and passengers door lites. Tempered side and back lites are serious money depending on vehicle and glass options.
Do business with a good mom and pop glass shop. Support the locals. Find the best installer with integrity.
And never, EVER, EVER do business with fucking Safelite Auto Glass !!!
and never let any other company install Safelite garbage glass on your vehicle!!! Demand OEM glass!!

Trust me on this!

I have a great Windshield story about My Ferrari 360.

Guy cut me off on the Vincent Thomas Bridge headed to Long Beach. Like really bad, and it was done on purpose I guess to hate on me. I gassed it a little to pass him, and his car kicked up a rock and got me straight dead on with a Starburst. Was loud as hell. Or maybe he threw it at me. I backed off because I was ready to kill him. lol

Long Story short, the Windshield was $6800 and State Farm stepped up no problem.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Anyone getting hit by rocks and sand are following too close behind. I’ve worked for many companies over the years and have received dozens of calls from people claiming our Utility Line trucks dropped or kicked up rocks from road cracking their windshields. Some companies pay it to avoid the trouble, others refuse unless proven. Myself, Unless a vehicle is hit by something that was actually being transported on our vehicles like oil from a leaking transformer or unsecured hardware, nuts, bolts.... I‘ll discredit their claim by asking how close they were following and if they know what the law says? then I say “you following too close if you got hit, and that the DOT requires rear tires on commercial trucks have mud flaps to limit the distance that road debris can be thrown so vehicles aren’t hit when traveling behind at proper legal distance and speed.” Many crooked people target commercial vehicles With false claims looking for money only, not a repair and many others truly do drive too close behind, yet still want free windshield. Everyone knows trucks throw rocks, So back the fuck off and you won’t get hit.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Anyone getting hit by rocks and sand are following too close behind. I’ve worked for many companies over the years and have received dozens of calls from people claiming our Utility Line trucks dropped or kicked up rocks from road cracking their windshields. Some companies pay it to avoid the trouble, others refuse unless proven. Myself, Unless a vehicle is hit by something that was actually being transported on our vehicles like oil from a leaking transformer or unsecured hardware, nuts, bolts.... I‘ll discredit their claim by asking how close they were following and if they know what the law says? then I say “you following too close if you got hit, and that the DOT requires rear tires on commercial trucks have mud flaps to limit the distance that road debris can be thrown so vehicles aren’t hit when traveling behind at proper legal distance and speed.” Many crooked people target commercial vehicles With false claims looking for money only, not a repair and many others truly do drive too close behind, yet still want free windshield. Everyone knows trucks throw rocks, So back the fuck off and you won’t get hit.

I think what you are describing is a different situation. Picture 50 to 100, 3/4” marbles dropped at 70 mph bouncing down the freeway. This is the problem we are discussing. Lol...

HBCraig

Reaction score
Its not to prove at all. The driver is responsible for his load or cargo.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
I think what you are describing is a different situation. Picture 50 to 100, 3/4” marbles dropped at 70 mph bouncing down the freeway. This is the problem we are discussing. Lol...
I agree It is different, and sometimes it is their fault, but Majority of time it could have been avoided if people weren’t following too close behind. We all know these trucks drop shit, so give them more space when following or roll the dice....

Your ad here

Reaction score
While annoying it's not bad compared to AZ and bottom dumps like that don't exist out here. In 13 years of driving in CA only got 1 rock chip between 3 trucks and a few paint chips. I only had one windshield crack from a twig, of all things on I5 in Central Valley in a company truck. In 1.5 years in AZ, 1 cracked windshield with like a chip a month and the other truck has a dozen chips in it. Paint touch up weekly. These were all from passenger vehicles. Figure in AZ its 1 windshield a year for every vehicle you own.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I’ve seen the “Not Liable For Rock Chips” sigh before too lol. Umm just because you say you’re not liable doesn’t mean youre not liable 🤔😂
That's like saying "sign this paper before I pull you water skiing"!!

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
While annoying it's not bad compared to AZ and bottom dumps like that don't exist out here. In 13 years of driving in CA only got 1 rock chip between 3 trucks and a few paint chips. I only had one windshield crack from a twig, of all things on I5 in Central Valley in a company truck. In 1.5 years in AZ, 1 cracked windshield with like a chip a month and the other truck has a dozen chips in it. Paint touch up weekly. These were all from passenger vehicles. Figure in AZ its 1 windshield a year for every vehicle you own.
I dont know how much truth there is in what I was told a few years ago, but I was told the aggregate in az tends to be more diamond shape vs the traditional round style that most of california uses. I get it, sharpe edges would be more prone to causing damage to a laminate windshield

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Stone is natural and screened to size and is round/smooth, no hard edges.

Rock is crushed, screened to size and is all hard edges, no smooth areas.

All states have both types of material available.

I dont know how much truth there is in what I was told a few years ago, but I was told the aggregate in az tends to be more diamond shape vs the traditional round style that most of california uses. I get it, sharpe edges would be more prone to causing damage to a laminate windshield

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
My company load's and hauls approximately 150 load's of dirt a day in double bottom dump's. We hire a broker to provide the trucks to haul the dirt off. Most of the trucks are owner operator's using set's of trailer's owned by the broker. Most of the trailers are 10-15 years old and older and could use a lot of love. The majority of the debris you see is coming from the belly gates that are worn out and don't seal properly. Most dirt is pretty harmless and doesn't have a lot of small rock. The double bottom dump's that are hauling construction materials to concrete plants and such cause most of the damages. They are hauling pea gravel, 1" crushed rock and sand.

Last edited: