WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Disc Campfire Cooker Build

YOLO

Reaction score
I was bummed not being able to make the desert bar weekend camp out. What I did realize is that many of you thought the "Disc plow cooker thing" was cool. My friend and I whipped a couple up this weekend. Here you go!

A couple old used up disc blades 24" +/-
image.jpg

Big ass band saw cutting 1 7/16" bar stock to fill the 1 1/2" center hole
image.jpg

Big ass band saw cutting 10" casing
image.jpg

Center it up and glue it together. A three legged stool never wobbles? All thread works good and much cheaper than bolts of equal length
image.jpg

Grind down and polish up the center of the disc. Nice to be able to put over a fire.
image.jpg

Legs detached so that it will easily fit on a burner. The casing on the bottom keeps it stable.
image.jpg

Warning: This project may produce incredible thirst that may last through the duration of the project, into the evening, and possibly early hours of the morning. Have plenty of cold beverages on hand to quench this parched state!

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Nicely done.
Now you just need to fill it with Chorizo, eggs, potatoes, fresh tortillas and invite everyone over to admire it.:)

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
A buddy of mine has one of those. He made a big handle (similar to a frying pan) out of square stock he twisted. Everyone we camp with threatens to steal that thing. It is awesome to cook on and to fry seafood at the coast. :thumbup:

YOLO

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has one of those. He made a big handle (similar to a frying pan) out of square stock he twisted. Everyone we camp with threatens to steal that thing. It is awesome to cook on and to fry seafood at the coast. :thumbup:

They do seem to have legs at times!!!:rolleyes

HavaPaul

Reaction score
Ever since I saw this I've wanted one of those discs.

[video=youtube;AMxHPPhnV1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMxHPPhnV1M[/video]

[video=youtube;AaeymXdt4II]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaeymXdt4II[/video]

YOLO

Reaction score
Cool thing about this one is I only have about $20 bucks in it and will last a lifetime.

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
Ours has horseshoes on the sides as handles. I think the way they are welded on they are meant to not get hot. One of our handles still gets hot. The other is touchable throughout cooking. I had a blast cooking breakfast on it for everyone. Thinking of making fajitas on ours this week. Anyone else have ideas of what to cook on them?

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Ours has horseshoes on the sides as handles. I think the way they are welded on they are meant to not get hot. One of our handles still gets hot. The other is touchable throughout cooking. I had a blast cooking breakfast on it for everyone. Thinking of making fajitas on ours this week. Anyone else have ideas of what to cook on them?

Carne asada and homemade tortillas...:D

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Texas Wok :thumbup:

Exactly what they are.....Rig welders have been churning them out for years. Some of the best fajitas and carne asada to grace the earth have been grilled on disc woks.:thumbsup:thumbsup

Work great to fry/saute fish and shrimp also. Clean up is just turning up the heat and burning off the thin layer of oil.:thumbsup

HavaPaul

Reaction score
Just like cast iron pans. You need to produce a patina coating for non-stick. Watch the second half of this. It take hours to do this. Havasteve can tell you the best way. His cast iron is glass smooth and shiny.
[video=youtube;13-d2KDjKfc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13-d2KDjKfc[/video]