WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Discouraging Birds.......

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Has anyone been successful discouraging birds from landing (and crapping) on your dock and boat?

We have a tri-toon that stays in the water for about 9 months. I am getting ready to re-launch it next weekend after 3 months of maintenance and upgrades.

The birds LOVE to land on this thing and crap all over it.

I've tried the following with limited success:

- Mounted a plastic vulture on the cover of our dock.
- Taped shiny streamers to the frame of our dock cover. In the sun, heat and wind, the usually break down and fly away after a week or so.
- Have a solar powered squawk box thing that is supposed to emit predator bird noise and annoy real birds. The only thing it annoys is our friends (I thought Froggystyle was going to kick it into the water one time when he was visiting).

I'm thinking of trying some shiny pin-wheels, but I don't really want to gay up the dock.

So what does everyone use?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Has anyone been successful discouraging birds from landing (and crapping) on your dock and boat?

We have a tri-toon that stays in the water for about 9 months. I am getting ready to re-launch it next weekend after 3 months of maintenance and upgrades.

The birds LOVE to land on this thing and crap all over it.

I've tried the following with limited success:

- Mounted a plastic vulture on the cover of our dock.
- Taped shiny streamers to the frame of our dock cover. In the sun, heat and wind, the usually break down and fly away after a week or so.
- Have a solar powered squawk box thing that is supposed to emit predator bird noise and annoy real birds. The only thing it annoys is our friends (I thought Froggystyle was going to kick it into the water one time when he was visiting).

I'm thinking of trying some shiny pin-wheels, but I don't really want to gay up the dock.

So what does everyone use?

BB gun?:skull

DC-88

Reaction score
We rarely leave our stuff in overnight or for days on end but have the same problem , especially with those black mini-crow looking birds. The sound of an Air rifle w the highest FPS you can find is the only thing that seems to keep them from stopping by every day...

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
We rarely leave our stuff in overnight or for days on end but have the same problem , especially with those black mini-crow looking birds. The sound of an Air rifle w the highest FPS you can find is the only thing that seems to keep them from stopping by every day...

I was going to suggest to Scouter to maybe change the predator noise contraption with a shotgun blast noise each time the sensor is triggered...seems sooner or later the birds will just not land there anymore.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Bird deterrent thing that is like a big spider. But the only thing touching your top is the base and the wire arms flop in the wind and spins if it desires.. I have them on my Duffy and they work great.. 18' Duffy and the 2 four footers cover the top pretty good... West Marine ? Iy them from Duffy for a great deal as I bought the boat too.

Havasteve

Reaction score
Boat tail Grackle, They suck but they're smart and creatures of habit usually showing up in flocks. If you shoot one and leave it within view on the dock they won't go near it, they'll bypass your place.

Dettom

Reaction score
I'd pellet gun one or two of them and hang them on your boat for a few days..

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Bird deterrent thing that is like a big spider. But the only thing touching your top is the base and the wire arms flop in the wind and spins if it desires.. I have them on my Duffy and they work great.. 18' Duffy and the 2 four footers cover the top pretty good... West Marine ? Iy them from Duffy for a great deal as I bought the boat too.

x2 Scouter

7313281.jpg

I have one that I set atop my radar dome, just have to remember to put it up there before I put the cockpit cover on :rolleyes

These 360* ones are also popular

12868311.jpg

http://www.westmarine.com/bird-repellent

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score

x2 Scouter

View attachment 467724

I have one that I set atop my radar dome, just have to remember to put it up there before I put the cockpit cover on :rolleyes

These 360* ones are also popular

View attachment 467728

http://www.westmarine.com/bird-repellent

Thanks guys. I am going to give these things a try.... :)

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
the Redlands city landfill uses an air cannon that fires every 90 seconds. sounds like a gun shot. it's the only landfill I've ever seen without a seagull problem. face the cannon towards the water and the sound to others might be very little.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Cheapo throw away pie pans tied to twine.
Ive seen it work.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
the Redlands city landfill uses an air cannon that fires every 90 seconds. sounds like a gun shot. it's the only landfill I've ever seen without a seagull problem. face the cannon towards the water and the sound to others might be very little.

Similarly they do this at one of the mines I worked at. The Operator CANNOT have a bird leave the property and die that ingested the solution in processing copper, PETA and others would have a field day. They pay a bunch of old retired farts to hang around the ponds and pop off blanks if a bird comes around.

screaming pete

Reaction score
Scouter you have to be careful were you live because its a protected area .. maybe a rubber snake:eek will keep them off

Yellowboat

Reaction score
they have sprinklers with motion dectors, the only thing I every found for keeping birds out of my yard.( bastards were destroying my veggies, the tree rats got lead poisoning.)