WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Distributor clearance

enemy

Reaction score
So I just dropped a new motor in my boat and the distributor cap is hitting the engine hatch [emoji853] does anyone know if their is a shorter distributor cap available for the msd billet distributor. I see they sell crab style caps on the website but I think they only work on one specific distributor that I don’t. Have. That would be an easy solution if it worked or if their is an aftermarket one that works. Msd won’t answer the tech line no matter how long I wait on hold. If anyone has any creative solutions I would love to hear it. I would prefer not to have to cut the hatch to make clearance or to trash a brand new distributor if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

renodaytona

Reaction score
I think you’ll have to get a whole new distributor. The crab style is only for crank triggered systems but there is this one:
1591988931764.png

enemy

Reaction score
Dam ok thanks

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Real talk, I’d call Summit, they really seem to know their shit.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
So I just dropped a new motor in my boat and the distributor cap is hitting the engine hatch [emoji853] does anyone know if their is a shorter distributor cap available for the msd billet distributor. I see they sell crab style caps on the website but I think they only work on one specific distributor that I don’t. Have. That would be an easy solution if it worked or if their is an aftermarket one that works. Msd won’t answer the tech line no matter how long I wait on hold. If anyone has any creative solutions I would love to hear it. I would prefer not to have to cut the hatch to make clearance or to trash a brand new distributor if possible.

What sort of distributor did you have before that cleared?

MSD does have two different style caps that work on their standard distributors, but not sure one is much shorter than the other. One uses female HEI style ends, and the other uses older school male ends. If you haven't already corrected your problem I can compare the two of them side by side, I am sure I have both styles in the garage.

enemy

Reaction score
It was the stock mercruiser motor and distributor. It’s definitely shorter then the msd. I’ll have to look for one of those caps. The one I have now is the hei style and I bet the standard one would be a little shorter.

enemy

Reaction score
Yes if you don’t mind checking to see the difference I would appreciate it

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Yes if you don’t mind checking to see the difference I would appreciate it

I should have a Mercruiser distributor being dropped off tomorrow fpr an engine I just completed that I can compare against an MSD I didn't see that you had replied to my post until just now, I do have both styles of MSD caps here, will see what the difference is in height.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Mercruiser distributor did not get dropped off yesterday, but you should be able to compare yours. The older style MSD cap may be 1/2" shorter with the wires in place, not much. If you haven't already it would make sense to call MSD to see what they can offer you.

enemy

Reaction score
Thanks a 1/2 inch may help I’ll have to call them again. I tried a few days last week but just sat on hold for a good half hour

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Mercruiser distributor did not get dropped off yesterday, but you should be able to compare yours. The older style MSD cap may be 1/2" shorter with the wires in place, not much. If you haven't already it would make sense to call MSD to see what they can offer you.
Got the Mercruiser distributor,, roughly 1" shorter than the MSD I think. If you don't want to modify the hatch you may be stuck with the Merc. There are some parts available still, but not cheap I think, friend has new module and distributor on the way for the engine I just put together for him.

enemy

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the help. I’m going to take some measurements and try to figure out how much room I would need.