WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dive boat fire

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
possible 34 dead off the coast of LA at 0400 this morning.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We have friend that are regular, hope they didn't go out this weekend.
Not answering their text.

cofooter

Reaction score
Wow, what a way to go, RIP to those that didn't make it.

Singleton

Reaction score
Yuck. This post just hit home. My wife’s ex-husband borrowed some of our equipment and went diving this weekend.

Sure as hell hope we don’t need to call my step-sons with this news. Wife already had to call her ex’s GF to find out what boat he was on and she does not know! Fuck me, going to be a long day.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Damn when i learned to dive we use to go out on that boat.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Conception is based out of Santa Barbara. If that helps anyone.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Los Angeles or Louisiana? :confused:
Punctuation helps.
Edit: west coast

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Enjoying my coffee on the boat in the slip in Newport listening to the VHF traffic to see if I could hear that far and just heard a report of a sailboat on fire at the isthmus on Catalina. Crazy morning. Check your smoke detectors and fire suppression systems people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Waters

Reaction score
I heard the Coast Guard audio (Coast Guard side only) and basically it sounds like the/a door was locked, CG dispatcher asked if they could get back on the boat and unlock the door, then asked about escape hatches, CG dispatcher confirmed (rodger) no escape hatches. Sad deal

boatpi

Reaction score
This is an old wooden boat , so keep an eye out for dry rot in the engine compartment or a generator fire, and it cooking away and just lighting off. Not to mention the last Coast Guard inspection and where are the automatic fire extinguishers.

if the reason is one of the generator area and then the fire detection systems. not to mention the last Coast Guard inspection.

This is sad, ugly, And completely preventable. and completely preventable

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
This is an old wooden boat , so keep an eye out for dry rot in the engine compartment or a generator fire, and it cooking away and just lighting off. Not to mention the last Coast Guard inspection and we’re all the automatic fire extinguishers if the reason is one of the generator area and then the fire detection systems. not to mention the last Coast Guard inspection and we’re all the automatic fire extinguishers if there is one of the generator area, and then the fire detection systems .

This is sad, ugly, And completely preventable. and completely preventable
Why did you double type or is this something with the hack this morning.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
341E95C6-61A9-44FA-99AE-EAFD389F4509.jpeg
Before it sank

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I don't know why fox is cutting it short, channel 5 has twice as much
Yeah.
Sounds like the crew escaped and left the passengers on board.
Note the CG voice response.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I heard the Coast Guard audio (Coast Guard side only) and basically it sounds like the/a door was locked, CG dispatcher asked if they could get back on the boat and unlock the door, then asked about escape hatches, CG dispatcher confirmed (rodger) no escape hatches. Sad deal
Just because it was said by CG radio personnel, it doesn't mean it was correct. Years ago the Conception had lost power near the Channel Islands Harbor entrance. Assume the captain of the Conception was in the engine room trying to get the main engines started. The young crewman manning Ch16 for the Conception was asked by CG LA/LB for the vessel's CF number. Of course they didn't have one, so he told LA/LB they didn't have one. That put the apparently very new CG radioperson into a panic. The Conception was and always has been a Documented Vessel with an Official Number, never had a CF number. After this rediculous conversation I did a "break, break" and informed CG LA/LB that the Conception was a Documented, USCG Certified vessel, with as many as 40 POB, currently dead in the water and drifting toward the entrance jetties of the CI Harbor. With that a completely different voice came on the radio from the CG and assistance for the Conception began to happen quickly.

Tank

Reaction score
The EOC is set up across the harbor from us. News is everywhere. Supposedly when they raise the boat they’re bringing it here. Boats 65’ down 30 yards off the front side of Santa Cruz.

7FFB6F57-EF44-4F47-BFE4-D48F2091E828.jpeg
6CC5A26D-E2D2-4F28-817B-453BD317D76D.jpeg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That is unbelievable. :(. Such a sad story.

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
This is so sad! Is it common practice for people to be locked in sleeping quarters on a dive boat????

Roaddawg

Reaction score
I've never been on a boat like this but I wouldn't think being locked in the sleeping quarters is common? Either way RIP

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Yahoo is saying2 groups out celebrating birthdays :( RIP

FishSniper

Reaction score
I've never been on a boat like this but I wouldn't think being locked in the sleeping quarters is common? Either way RIP
I've been on many fishing boats that have similar layouts and have never been locked in the bunk area. I'm wondering if that wasn't a miscommunication or bad info cause I can't imagine any boat is locking people below deck.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I've been on many fishing boats that have similar layouts and have never been locked in the bunk area. I'm wondering if that wasn't a miscommunication or bad info cause I can't imagine any boat is locking people below deck.
My thoughts as well.
Looks to be only one door in/out of the bunk room???

bonesfab

Reaction score
Why would they lock people in? You are in the middle of the ocean. I doubt there was even a lock on the door.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
Looking at layout of that boat there is only one access door to get in and out of the bunk area. I would think there would be some type of legal requirements for a boat that size to have fire exits but that isn’t looking to be the case in this situation?

This is absolutely horrible. I don’t understand how something like this could happen in this day and age.

Godspeed to those who lost their lives.

77charger

Reaction score
This is so sad! Is it common practice for people to be locked in sleeping quarters on a dive boat????
They dont lock people in the sleeping quarters you are usually allowed to get out and get fresh air if desired.But if a fire took place in the galley they can become trapt down below depending on where the stairs are to access the sleeping quarters.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I am positive no one was locked into any where on the boat. That was the ridiculous response from the CG radio operator. The exits from the bunk area of the Conception go into the galley. There would have been an additional escape hatch. No doors were locked.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Looking at layout of that boat there is only one access door to get in and out of the bunk area. I would think there would be some type of legal requirements for a boat that size to have fire exits but that isn’t looking to be the case in this situation?

This is absolutely horrible. I don’t understand how something like this could happen in this day and age.

Godspeed to those who lost their lives.

You’re looking at an open stairway up to the galley. There are no doors on that stairway to lock.

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
unbelievable... what a terrifying thing to have happen.... :(

boatpi

Reaction score
Just as I thought, news just said crew escaped and no secondary hatch available, as this is an old boat. One way in and out unlike newer boats. They had no way out, just tragic. Cause aside, I fault government for not having better requirements for safety. Things will change after this.

Socalx09

Reaction score
Just tragic hearing the call. Heartbreaking. My prayers to everyone involved.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Just as I thought, news just said crew escaped and no secondary hatch available, as this is an old boat. One way in and out unlike newer boats. They had no way out, just tragic. Cause aside, I fault government for not having better requirements for safety. Things will change after this.
Well, if the news said it then it must be true . . . Not. Previous passengers have said there was an emergency escape hatch aft in the bunk area. Did the news also mention that the crew quarters were topside just aft of the bridge? Did the news mention that the forward upper bunk on the port side of the bunk room was dedicated for 1 crew member? Perhaps the cook? Take a close look at the bunk layout drawing.BTW - 1981 is not old for a SoCal USCG certified passenger carrying vessel. 4 passengers apparently did get out of the bunk area. Their bodies were recovered at the scene.

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Well, if the news said it then it must be true . . . Not. Did the news also mention that the crew quarters were topside just aft of the bridge? Did the news mention that the forward upper bunk on the port side of the bunk room was dedicated for 1 crew member? Perhaps the cook? Take a close look at the bunk layout drawing.BTW - 1981 is not old for a SoCal USCG certified passenger carrying vessel. 4 passengers apparently did get out of the bunk area. Their bodies were recovered at the scene.

News is reporting 4 more bodies found (but not yet recovered) on the sea floor.

Tragic. Hopefully the survivors can shed some light on what went wrong.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Sad deal. Regardless of actual cause, or blame placed, people were out to have fun. Maybe even the trip of a lifetime deal. A fire in the galley would have slowed any attempt at an escape...and smoke alarms may not have woken those bellow decks before they were already trapped.
I feel bad for all involved. Those who passed have stopped feeling their pain. The pain and confusion is just starting for the survivors or family members.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Let the investigators do their jobs. Suppositions and assumptions are of no value.