WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dive boat fire

Concierge

Reaction score
I've been on many fishing boats that have similar layouts and have never been locked in the bunk area. I'm wondering if that wasn't a miscommunication or bad info cause I can't imagine any boat is locking people below deck.

Concierge

Reaction score
It was not locked per crew.
Just as I thought, news just said crew escaped and no secondary hatch available, as this is an old boat. One way in and out unlike newer boats. They had no way out, just tragic. Cause aside, I fault government for not having better requirements for safety. Things will change after this.

Concierge

Reaction score
Capt could have possibly assigned a patrolman and that patrolman may have gone to sleep without any knowledge of the Capt. That does happen. At this point, I believe there has been no reported negligence by the owners.

Concierge

Reaction score
They needed to figure out why there was no roaming night watchman on duty. They prob'ly know the answer after crew & captain interviews. If captain gave that person, if he'd designated one, permission to sleep, that's legally on him. The ? is, did the captain know no one was awake performing 'roaming watch?' Did the alleged watchperson, if they at one point had one, unintentionally fall asleep? Either way, the NTSB & D.A.'s agency have legal grounds to work together, & initiate a criminal case, due to the violation of this maritime law alone, as entire crew & captain were sleeping; not allowed. This is what really upsets me. A watch person could possibly have quickly seen smoke, sparks and/ or fire, or heard an unusual noise, & immediately called Mayday! God bless these individuals.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
9 posts in a row? Most saying the same thing?

What is going on?

Concierge

Reaction score
Today's NTSB report indicates there was no watchman.
1) If the Captain failed to appoint a night watchman he should face appropriate charges.
2) If the Captain did appoint a night watchman and that crewman went to sleep, that crewman should face appropriate charges.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...42e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=JXPSDZZDFEDNZNZ7BN2M

This $13 dollar item(s) from Amazon may have prevented the fire. But, there is no legal excuse for not having a night watchman.
It

Concierge

Reaction score
I apologize. Deleted most. Was on meds for dental procedure & got loopy. Yikes! Appreciate your feedback. Have a great day!

Last edited:

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Reported the morning of the tragedy, the remains of 4 victims had been recovered from the water near the vessel. These reports indicated they appeared to be victims of drowning. Then there was no further mention of those 4 victims. What happened, how did they escape the fire, or was it just fake news?

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Quoting everything for posterity? Lawsuit? Something of the sort. Joined for just this thread it appears.

He doesn’t understand that when he quotes something he has to start typing outside the brackets.

Much like Brian couldn’tfuckingunderstand how to post after the quoted text, so you had read from the bottom up.

Concierge

Reaction score
You have interesting & thoughtful comments. Have U read what Ryan Sims, Conception cook, (crew member who first awoke & saved the other crew), has said via his attorney?

4Waters

Reaction score
You have interesting & thoughtful comments. Have U read what Ryan Sims, Conception cook, (crew member who first awoke & saved the other crew), has said via his attorney?
Who are you asking?

Concierge

Reaction score
He doesn’t understand that when he quotes something he has to start typing outside the brackets.

Much like Brian couldn’tfuckingunderstand how to post after the quoted text, so you had read from the bottom up.

Concierge

Reaction score

I'm new here, & am a she, not a he...& am learning. U can tell me directly in a post if I'm not posting in the proper way. I don't like being bashed, but do appreciate positive help or constructive feedback.

Last edited:

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score

No he doesn’t. There’s absolutely nothing added.

Are you saying Concierge is Brian’s new screen name?

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Stephenkatsea.

I have not read what Ryan Sims has said via his attorney. Is there a link?

Since there is no Workman's Comp for a seaman, under maritime law Sims would receive Seaman's Maintenance and Cure from his employer/vessel's owner. This is basically his costs for medical treatment for his injury and his cost of living until he reaches maximum recovery from that injury.

Last edited:

Concierge

Reaction score
Quoting everything for posterity? Lawsuit? Something of the sort. Joined for just this thread it appears.
Chump change:
No. No. No...to your assumptions. I just joined here, & have followed the AGT postings too. I worked, lived & went boating in Santa Barbara, so I know people there related to this story. (My son was captain of a 140' yacht for years, & I used to race, hence my interest in boating.) You are welcome to directly post me, but bashing me to others doesn't behoove me. I see no reason for it. Thanks. Have a great day!

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
No he doesn’t. There’s absolutely nothing added.

Are you saying Concierge is Brian’s new screen name?
I posted a thread about this a few minutes ago....but poof.

Concierge

Reaction score
Stephenkatsea:
No link to article that I read. Google: Ryan Sims, cook on Conception dive boat. You'll see articles. Let me know what you think after reading it.

4Waters

Reaction score
Stephenkatsea:
No link to article that I read. Google: Ryan Sims, cook on Conception dive boat. You'll see articles. Let me know what you think after reading it.
Put an @ at the start of his screen name and it will show up in his alerts @Concierge

boatpi

Reaction score
Work comp etc
At sea is known as the Jones Act, fed law.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
@Concierge just hit the reply button when you are quoting something. Then type below the text that appears.

Please note you can click the reply button on multiple posts and it will put the quotes all into one post.

@Concierge just hit the reply button when you are quoting something. Then type below the text that appears.

Please note you can click the reply button on multiple posts and it will put the quotes all into one post.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Are you drunk? It's @H20 Toie LOL
Yep pretty much.
SIL signed on a new customer today up in the high desert and they gave him some swag. Stuffs pretty damn good.

20190920_204418.jpg

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Wow...Just wow.... I quit posting on the thread because I had nothing to add to it having no experience on one of these boats... And I was just repeating what the ignorant news people were speculating.. Now I see this!!!! What a disgrace you fools are bringing to RDP..Mini-brewery brew?? Really? Is that what you feel about 34 people that fucking died aboard this boat.. Your childish banter is totally below anything I want to be associated with.. Some posts, by those with experience on this very boat or her twins , is informative and quite likely a thread that comes up if non members are searching for news on this tragedy..Have a little class and respect, and at least respect RDP when posting on this very sensitive thread. I can not express my disappointment, the proper words just won't come to me right now...
Ray

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Work comp etc
At sea is known as the Jones Act, fed law.

Work Comp at sea is seaman’s Maintenance and Cure. It is a part of the Jones Act. The Jones Act covers a number of maritime items.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Stephenkatsea:

Ryan Sims severely broke his leg. There is no doubt. The owners are obligated to pay for his medical treatments and his living expenses until he reaches maximum recovery. This is known as Maintenance and Cure from the Jones Act. It appears he is bringing a personal injury lawsuit against the owners that goes beyond his Maintenance and Cure. It smells like attorneys to me. Not very surprising.