WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DIY boat projects

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I have the boat home for a few weeks and have a few projects for it.

First one is a hail Mary, but I just don't trust my wench anymore I should have replaced it before I powder coated the trailer a few months ago but I didn't and here I am. Any idea where to get parts or a complete Shelby 5407? I'd much rather rebuild the one I have than cut it off and bolt on a new one.

The other project is I want to paint the bottom 1/2 of my outdrive. I could just rattle can it but is there something better?

4Waters

Reaction score
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Holy shit 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I started reading this and got to and stopped at the "I don't trust my wench anymore" now being in a nautical frame of mind I immediately thought that you were talking about the wife 😳🤣🤣🤪, guess I should continue reading next time. LOL

Buy a new wench (not wife😉🤣) and rebuild the one on the trailer with the parts off the new one.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Holy shit 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I started reading this and got to and stopped at the "I don't trust my wench anymore" now being in a nautical frame of mind I immediately thought that you were talking about the wife 😳🤣🤣🤪, guess I should continue reading next time. LOL

Buy a new wench (not wife😉🤣) and rebuild the one on the trailer with the parts off the new one.

You have 2 great ideas but if I screw either one of them up, I won't have a boat anymore.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
What’s wrong with the wench?
Serious answer, It's 23 years old and it doesn't always catch. The latch is worn, as are the teeth. I had a friend help retrieve and he just wailed on the handle instead of backing in more and it's just not the same anymore :(

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I couldn’t find parts for mine , so ordered a new one on Amazon for about $150 . I was confused when I read wench also
FA393D36-2E89-43AC-BF3E-F0ED6587D3A4.jpeg

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
No one ever accused me of being any good at grammar.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I couldn’t find parts for mine , so ordered a new one on Amazon for about $150 . I was confused when I read wench also View attachment 1128831
My old one is welded on, I’ll have to carefully cut the welds :(

I made a miscalculation when I redid my trailer, I thought the winch was in better shape and I didn’t know the manufacture had been out of business for a decade :(

counterpart7

Reaction score
Picture of it? When I looked for a replacement for mine(also 22 years old) I found a few generic looking ones that seemed like I could swap parts if needed. Mine isn’t welded on, but it looks like they might make the same style still.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
There is and they are really proud of it.
Yea, I saw that “pride” reflected in the price. I ordered the quicksilver product instead. Primer, phantom black and clear coat for about 1/2 the price. We’ll see how it works.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I use appliance epoxy enamel, from Home Depot Speed and Marine.
Comes in Berkeley White and Dominator/Jacuzzi Black.
Holds up well for shake and shoot.

Dan'l

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Yea, I saw that “pride” reflected in the price. I ordered the quicksilver product instead. Primer, phantom black and clear coat for about 1/2 the price. We’ll see how it works.
The prep and keeping everything clean during and in between steps will make a difference on the outcome and amount of time it lasts. Really follow those directions and prep yourself before hand for all the wait times.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
The prep and keeping everything clean during and in between steps will make a difference on the outcome and amount of time it lasts. Really follow those directions and prep yourself before hand for all the wait times.
I am not a painter but I do know that it’s about 95% in the prep. Do I need to get all the old paint down to bare metal?

Good Stuff

Reaction score
I am not a painter but I do know that it’s about 95% in the prep. Do I need to get all the old paint down to bare metal?
The way I understand it is that the etching primer makes the paint bond. Not sure if it can “etch” existing paint or not. I think there are some YouTube videos on it. I got all prepped to do it 5 years ago and then sold the boat before I did.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
The way I understand it is that the etching primer makes the paint bond. Not sure if it can “etch” existing paint or not. I think there are some YouTube videos on it. I got all prepped to do it 5 years ago and then sold the boat before I did.
All the aluminum primer I have used in the past was yellow, it’s different than other primers and I don’t recall how exactly. I would think that any paint that was well bonded to the metal would remain that way.

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
I’ll have to take a bigger photo in the daylight Here is what I have on my iPad and phone

View attachment 1128935 View attachment 1128936
Damn, don’t fuck up the paint. Like mentioned above, get a donor and rebuild that one. Use lock tight and you’ll be good. If you’re worried about it sliding off the trailer, put a loose strap on the bow that’s wrapped around the frame to test your work the first trip.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Damn, don’t fuck up the paint. Like mentioned above, get a donor and rebuild that one. Use lock tight and you’ll be good. If you’re worried about it sliding off the trailer, put a loose strap on the bow that’s wrapped around the frame to test your work the first trip.
I’ve been using a heavy dock line and a bolen for safety + I have stern straps. People drive like absolute shit.

I’d love to find a set of internals that will fit …. I might even pay to have a new set waterjetted.

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
Figure 8 follow through, the bowline has more stress and breaks the line easier

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
I’d do it this way.
1) order and receive new winch and make sure it’s the size you want.
2) reciprocating saw and long enough metal cutting blade to cut welds across the steel post in one shot between winch plate and trailer, maybe put masking tape around post above and below the winch to protect paint as best you can. Or use die grinder and cutoff wheel to cut the welds.
3) drill through post for winch mounting
4) touchup paint
5) bolt on new winch
6) go boating

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I’d do it this way.
1) order and receive new winch and make sure it’s the size you want.
2) reciprocating saw and long enough metal cutting blade to cut welds across the steel post in one shot between winch plate and trailer, maybe put masking tape around post above and below the winch to protect paint as best you can. Or use die grinder and cutoff wheel to cut the welds.
3) drill through post for winch mounting
4) touchup paint
5) bolt on new winch
6) go boating
Cut it off and put a new f2 on. Spray water when you're cutting so the paint doesn't get so messed up.
If I can’t find suitable internals, I’m going to have to cut. I’m pretty good and have a rather thin 4-1/2” cutoff wheel. I‘ll see about getting some touch up paint matched from the parts I cut off (the trailer is powder coated)

keeping the material cool with water is a good idea, heat and blistering is my big concern, that and jumping the blade.

I have a 10,000 SPM “air saw” but I think I’d eat through several blades cutting the weld. Cutoff wheel is the way to go IMO

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
buy this one and see if the pivots line up. If they do, they yank the internals and put them in the old bracket. If they don't, just drill the new holes on the old bracket and put them in that. boom. done. Cheap and easy.

and never weld a winch on.

Riverryder

Reaction score
with all the water spots on the freshly painted trailer who cares about messing the paint up on the winch post?

ChrisV

Reaction score
with all the water spots on the freshly painted trailer who cares about messing the paint up on the winch post?
Right? Chop dat shietttt! The F2 winch is super nice too. I'm glad I purchased one.

4CB2E490-4303-4F56-BFE9-9EECC15B512E.png

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
buy this one and see if the pivots line up. If they do, they yank the internals and put them in the old bracket. If they don't, just drill the new holes on the old bracket and put them in that. boom. done. Cheap and easy.

and never weld a winch on.
Actually, I think I’m going to try this one. It‘s rated for 1,700 pounds like the stamp on my housing and a close look at the photo, it’s stamped “Shelby“

Also, the warning to read instructions before using is identical.

Last edited:

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
you dont say? all boats require a minimum of 3 axles rdp rules.

how many times have you had it out? no pictures to share with us?
whats it run?
It runs fast enough to get my shoulder bruised.

I’ve put it in the water and have the spots to prove it!

I’ve retrieved it and I have the scratches to prove it.

849161B5-95FE-44D3-98CE-6BAA17C71FBB.jpeg
DF7B6BCD-FB09-462A-AD65-5B80D18187BC.jpeg
292843EB-65EA-4CEA-8F63-74DF816CDA8F.jpeg
ADA7659F-9749-45ED-A485-84FB9C5B2B0B.png

Riverryder

Reaction score
nice!! someone is even sleeeping in the front haha.

doesnt it have a blower? what motor again?

is someone on the swim step while the boat is moving??

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
nice!! someone is even sleeeping in the front haha.

doesnt it have a blower? what motor again?

is someone on the swim step while the boat is moving?
No, on the hatch cover, my FIL won’t listen to anyone except Rachael Maddow.

It’s a punched out and stroked 525 with a weiand 177. It’s a sporty station wagon :D

Blower starts restricting about 5K RPM

In the right conditions I could probably hit 80 but last weekend in the wind, heat, chop, full tank of gas and everything my wife could possibly think to load on it I was breaking 65 on Havasu with ease.

Riverryder

Reaction score
@MPHSystems what a way to end a great day. your boat your decisions....

i have seen a few members with someone on hatch or bow in no wake zones when the boats in gear all i can do is shake my head in hopes me or my passengers never witness them fall off and get chopped up.

haha i vetoed all bags and extra stuff this year. before we went out the first time this year we both went over everything. she is now down to 1 spot under a seat cushion.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
@MPHSystems what a way to end a great day. your boat your decisions....

i have seen a few members with someone on hatch or bow in no wake zones when the boats in gear all i can do is shake my head in hopes me or my passengers never witness them fall off and get chopped up.

haha i vetoed all bags and extra stuff this year. before we went out the first time this year we both went over everything. she is now down to 1 spot under a seat cushion.
That photo was on Tuesday, we had the lake to ourselves.

I actually didn’t even realize he was on the hatch cover until you mentioned it.

I was driving and not sure who took the photo. It’s something I’ll be more mindful of in the future.

It has to be the hatch cover because the rope is below his feet and I only have one connection point.

I do have to give him props though, he is the one who got that GD lillypad off the swim step.

Riverryder

Reaction score
t has to be the hatch cover because the rope is below his feet and I only have one connection point.
his butt is on the hatch, but his feet on are on the swim step...
your boat your decisions.
dont think the people in the raft would have wanted to see papi getting the business end of that prop.

Last edited: