WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DIY Gelcoat repair kit

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
23E5E7D4-8CF6-4017-86F2-99BEFA9D0D51.jpeg
A16A48FD-A821-42F1-B523-435F99CC5F0A.jpeg
What’s a good DIY Gelcoat repair kit? I have a couple small chips that might have started off as stone chips from the highway while trailering. I just noticed them today while cleaning. I chipped them out with a flat blade screwdriver until I reached solid Gelcoat again. It’s odd that these two areas are on the left and right sides almost in line with each other. Who knows how that happened.

They go all the way through the Gelcoat to the resin, but not any deeper than the shell of the Gelcoat. I need get them fixed before I got back out since they’re below the water line. See the attached pics Screwdriver use for scale

I’m pretty handy so I think if I buy the correct products it shouldn't be too difficult to repair.

Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.

cofooter

Reaction score
Check out Spectrum, you can put in the make, model and year of your boat and they will send you the gel, easy.

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
Sounds good I’ll check that out.

Looks like a Dremel, some acetone, the repair kit, and some sandpaper is all you need. It doesn’t look to bad to do at home. Unless I’m missing something. They’re down near the keel so as long as they stick and don’t pop I’ll be good. I’m worried about being water tight and preventing bigger problems.

cofooter

Reaction score
Yep, Dremel with one of those abrasive blades, I wouldn't worry about water getting in if you prepare it right, hardest part will be blending in the patch with the surrounding gel, lots of sanding up to 3K grit or so and then buffing.

old rigger

Reaction score
Very common to get little chips there in the strakes...actually not chips but it looks like a chip. Just a little air bubble in the lay up that was missed by the laminator. Doesn’t take much for the gel to pop out leaving that little void in the glass/resin. Don’t go crazy grinding the surrounding area, it’s strictly a cosmetic thing, no structural damage. If it were me I’d clean the void with acetone, match the gel color, then after you mix the catalyst and surfacing agent, I’d use a small modelers paint brush and just fill the void. First of course rough up the edge of the existing gel just a tiny bit to give the new gel a surface to bond too. Just kiss it with some sand paper by hand, no Dremel. Fill it just enough to give you something to block and buff.
Super easy fix.

Last edited:

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I’m going to fix it Saturday morning. And I think your 100% right on the air bubbles. I opened up chips a little bit until I got back to a solid area. It seemed hollow so to speak. It’s more of a pain in the ass than anything else I think.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Not sure where you’re located but sherfab in Ontario has some repair kits posted on their website. Jonathan is super cool and could probably help you out with what you need.