WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DIY HOME PAINTING TRICKS AND TIPS.....

endobear

Reaction score
Unless I missed it @stephenkatsea is the only one that mentions using a high-quality paint brush - and immediately said the foam brush worked just as good - IN HIS situation. Different brushes for different situations and paints, I totally get. but a high-quality brush is so much better than the cheap ones that leave bristles behind - Clean them completely after every job and they will last for years. Assuming you are a homeowner not painting everyday for work.
I'll add to the brushes.

Good brush is key. And the right shape for what your doing helps also.
We clean our brushes everyday day. Sometimes 3x a day.
I use a wire brush, a brush comb and lots of clean water. Spin it out a few times. Before the final rinse and spin I'll comb in some hair conditioner. Then straight in the cover. Good brushes will.last years.

Oil brushes are a little different.
Ox hair only for clears. I prefer black bristle for stain one white bristle for oil paint.
Rinse a minimum of 4x in clean thinner spinning out between rinses. Straight to the cover.
Seen some old timers wrap their oil brushes in plastic and through them in their freezer if they are using it the next day.

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I'll add to the brushes.
I use a wire brush, a brush comb
Do you spin brushes?

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I'll add to the brushes.

I use a wire brush, a brush comb and lots of clean water. Spin it out a few times. Before the final rinse and spin I'll comb in some hair conditioner. Then straight in the cover. Good brushes will.last years.

Ox hair only for clears. I prefer black bristle for stain one white bristle for oil paint.
Rinse a minimum of 4x in clean thinner spinning out between rinses. Straight to the cover.
Seen some old timers wrap their oil brushes in plastic and through them in their freezer if they are using it the next day.
I've had the same sash tool since the 80's.... no body touches my brushes,... in fact I lock them in a metal storage cabinet....

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I'll add to the brushes.

ol timers knew some shit about painting,,, first thing taught was if someone showed up at the bar with a spray rig in back of their truck they got an ass whippen....

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I think back in the 50's and 60's rollers were even forbiden in the bay area...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I'm envolved in a fuc'd up paint project, that I knew wouldn't work,... but what the wife wanted....remodeling bathrooms... the plan was to paint the cabinets white, and put white picture frames around the gold on the mirrors........ so I put white frames on both baths with gorila glue.... on for keeps.... I start in the hall bath.... get the cabinets painted.... my wife comes home... and says,... looks good,... but I want the master to have gray cabinets... so I say,...ok, but the mirror frame has to stay white..... she says.... carpet has to match the drapes... I want it gray..... I say,..nobody has carpet..... I can't paint the frame gray, the back side will be white and you will see it ... and also,... can't get the frame off now with out messing up the mirror..... she says,... so take the mirror down like I said in the begining and put a new one up... soooo,... I painted it gray,... sure as shit, you could see the reflection of the inside of the frame...... so I re painted, this time I didn't mask it, and tryed to stuff paint behind with the brush..... better... but still looked like shit....next,... I taped the glass off,... and got some gray chaulking and pushed it in behind.... when that was dry i trimmed it back,... re taped and painted it.... 2 freeking days to paint one mirror frame..... but.... looks good now and didn't have to take the mirror of the wall...

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
If you want good paint and dont want to hire a painter ask him if you can purchase the paint on his account.

My father in law is a painter and offers this all the time to people. He gets the perks of pushing product and you get the perk of using a good product. And he doesn't have to paint your house.

Not sure if most painters offer this but he never struggled to pay bills.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have used thousands of gallons of Behr paint and never had a issue. Have a 5x8 shed full of leftovers. Use Floetrol when needed. One of my guys called me 2 days ago to use paint discount. $40 off on a 5 gallon. He needed 6 5s.

I hate painting just don't have the patience. Only bid paint if it's part of a project. Or my own project. Have to go grab paint today for a bathroom tomorrow. Have Guys painting 2 different bathrooms tomorrow.

boatpi

Reaction score
Used Sherman Williams for about 20 years. If you’re looking for a huge paint store with a really know the business there in our building Sherman Williams at 5280 S. Valley view Las Vegas. It’s a number one distribution for all of the southern Nevada. They probably unload three semi‘s a day.
Insane.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
As a homeowner I only have two tips.

1) When you buy paint ask for two extra color code print-out stickers for every color. One for the leftover paint and one for a paint stick. I put a sticker on a paint stick and dip the stick so I can hold it up to the wall when I forget what color I painted each room.

2) Buy an empty quart can per color and put the second sticker on the empty quart. I never save more than a quart because anything more than a quart is not a touch up and I'm calling someone else.

I hate painting.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
soooo. what I do is this...I use plastic grocery bags I put the roller or brush in the bag and wrap it up..... hour later or even longer... the roller and brush still have wet paint I've even let them sit over night.... when I use them that have been sitting... I start with about an ouce of water in the tray work that in to the brush or roller, then add the new paint...
I use saran wrap to to preserve my rollers and brushes for up to 2 weeks and it works well. I even wrap a paint tray with it overnight and continue painting the next day with no issues.
Great tips Steve.

240Hallett

Reaction score
I'm envolved in a fuc'd up paint project, that I knew wouldn't work,... but what the wife wanted....remodeling bathrooms... the plan was to paint the cabinets white, and put white picture frames around the gold on the mirrors........ so I put white frames on both baths with gorila glue.... on for keeps.... I start in the hall bath.... get the cabinets painted.... my wife comes home... and says,... looks good,... but I want the master to have gray cabinets... so I say,...ok, but the mirror frame has to stay white..... she says.... carpet has to match the drapes... I want it gray..... I say,..nobody has carpet..... I can't paint the frame gray, the back side will be white and you will see it ... and also,... can't get the frame off now with out messing up the mirror..... she says,... so take the mirror down like I said in the begining and put a new one up... soooo,... I painted it gray,... sure as shit, you could see the reflection of the inside of the frame...... so I re painted, this time I didn't mask it, and tryed to stuff paint behind with the brush..... better... but still looked like shit....next,... I taped the glass off,... and got some gray chaulking and pushed it in behind.... when that was dry i trimmed it back,... re taped and painted it.... 2 freeking days to paint one mirror frame..... but.... looks good now and didn't have to take the mirror of the wall...
So…she’s happy?

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Great tips. I've used the bag over the roller for years.

One random thing that seems like it's common knowledge but really isn't. The 5 in one tool, the half moon cut out by is to clean the roller.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips Steve
Good thing the little woman has her shit together. There is no masking. No drop cloths. No spills or drips. She is on it all the way around for the inside. Neat. Clean. Fast. And best of all she likes to do it. I hate. Yes I hate painting. And no I am not good at it. Lol
Always use good proper sized brushes or rollers.
She wraps them in Saran Wrap for overnight
We almost always use Sherwin Williams.
And yes. We have a different color scheme probably every other year. Lol.

endobear

Reaction score
Some roller tips..
If you do deep six a 9" roller nap in a 5ver.
Grab the end of the nap with the end of the frame. Then gently tap the top of the frame to pull it on.
It will suck the nap up the frame.
Cardboard core naps usually suck.
A good plastic core lambs wool nap is the best.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I have used thousands of gallons of Behr paint and never had a issue. Have a 5x8 shed full of leftovers. Use Floetrol when needed. One of my guys called me 2 days ago to use paint discount. $40 off on a 5 gallon. He needed 6 5s.

I hate painting just don't have the patience. Only bid paint if it's part of a project. Or my own project. Have to go grab paint today for a bathroom tomorrow. Have Guys painting 2 different bathrooms tomorrow.
one day i ran into a behr rep, I asked.... I have an old boat trailer that I want to paint... what should I use, and how long will it last... he said use the marquee exterior paint primer. so I got a gallon, and a weenie rollor and a couple brushes.... went to the lake brushed the trailer with lake water.... and wiped it with a micro fiber... pulled the trailer up to the parking lot and painted the trailer... the trailer was in good shape,... but some one had sprayed primer gray spots.... used simi gloss.... got done with 2 coats pretty quick.... let the trailer sit and went boating....I sold the boat... 10yrs latter I see the boat and trailer...... still looked good as the day I painted it... no peeling or checking...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Some roller tips..
If you do deep six a 9" roller nap in a 5ver.
Grab the end of the nap with the end of the frame. Then gently tap the top of the frame to pull it on.
It will suck the nap up the frame.
Cardboard core naps usually suck.
A good plastic core lambs wool nap is the best.
thats about exact how i do it

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips Steve
Good thing the little woman has her shit together. There is no masking. No drop cloths. No spills or drips. She is on it all the way around for the inside. Neat. Clean. Fast. And best of all she likes to do it. I hate. Yes I hate painting. And no I am not good at it. Lol
Always use good proper sized brushes or rollers.
She wraps them in Saran Wrap for overnight
We almost always use Sherwin Williams.
And yes. We have a different color scheme probably every other year. Lol.
LOL, our little 5x9 bath has 5 colors in it and has probley been painted 10 times since when have lived here,,,

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
So here's my latest project....PITA

Guest bath...

changed out all the gold fixtures, and pulls....picture framed the gold mirror and added a rain glass shower door...

1674403792166.jpeg

1674403826819.jpeg

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Same on the master, but went with gray...also I finally got the marble to shine...

plus changed out the round outlets to square w/ usb plugs...

also, ordered a new shower glass wall, bout' a week more wait...

1674404030683.jpeg

1674404076487.jpeg

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
we got this bedroom set in 1988.... wife says,... I want new furniture.... i want gray... I'm like.... there nothing wrong with the stuff, I'll just paint it gray.......PITA....

the wall are agreeable gray.... if anyone is wondering.... I was the only one so far to not be agreeable....

1674405060626.jpeg

1674405104863.jpeg

1674405164501.jpeg

I painted this about a year ago.... bought one gallon...... put the paint in a lucas bottle..... a year later it was still perfect and I used it to paint the bath cabinetts... still have a quart or so left....

NicPaus

Reaction score
Using this paint for 1 bathroom. Customer swears by it. 3 gallons and 2 quarts was $300. See how it compares to the half price Behr paint.
20230121_182817.jpg

NicPaus

Reaction score
we got this bedroom set in 1988.... wife says,... I want new furniture.... i want gray... I'm like.... there nothing wrong with the stuff, I'll just paint it gray.......PITA....

the wall are agreeable gray.... if anyone is wondering.... I was the only one so far to not be agreeable....

View attachment 1191418

View attachment 1191419

View attachment 1191420

I painted this about a year ago.... bought one gallon...... put the paint in a lucas bottle..... a year later it was still perfect and I used it to paint the bath cabinetts... still have a quart or so left....
Use the harbor freight sprayer on it?

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
LOL, our little 5x9 bath has 5 colors in it and has probley been painted 10 times since when have lived here,,,
And I brought up this thread. So today we are going from gray beige to needlepoint navy blue. All I can do is SMH. Lol.
B915B97E-5740-4A10-98FF-5AF98FB8542A.jpeg
F0523367-6190-41C4-A1BE-9655F69BD23E.jpeg

Last edited:

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
When painting those large Sportfishing boats there were usually other boats and their crews nearby also painting. So, there were many ideas passed around. Overnight freezing of the brush and roller was one of them. We tried it with some success. But, once we turned to the foam rubber brushes they were typically throw always.

Last edited:

Havoc Powesports

Reaction score
With your paint colors in rooms, take a light switch cover off, and on the back side write the color, sheen, and color number for that room on it. If different wall colors can do outlet plugs as well.
When we do a kitchen we list the colors of cabinets, trim walls etc onto the covers.

NicPaus

Reaction score
yes sir, on baths and bedroom furniture
Going to have to try that. I have a cabinet sprayer but it's a bitch to clean for smaller jobs.

Just got out of home depot. Behr paint went up another $8 a gallon now they call it scuff defense ultra. Next of premium plus. $45 a gallon for satin with $9.20 off paint club.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Using this paint for 1 bathroom. Customer swears by it. 3 gallons and 2 quarts was $300. See how it compares to the half price Behr paint. View attachment 1191433
I’ve tried it. I Wasn’t impressed for the price. Thankfully, I didn’t pay full price. I have heard their trim paint is the best but haven’t used it.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Going to have to try that. I have a cabinet sprayer but it's a bitch to clean for smaller jobs.

Just got out of home depot. Behr paint went up another $8 a gallon now they call it scuff defense ultra. Next of premium plus. $45 a gallon for satin with $9.20 off paint club.
get the little stand, you can clamp it to a step ladder, and they have cheep strainer there also... but like i said above.... 1000 times easier to fill the cup with a lucas bottle then with a can,... and putting the left over in the cup back in the bottle...sprays best cut with a little water... I start with a fog coat on everything then 2 or three simi wet coats.. kinda like car painting... I wait till the first wet coat is still tacky on the tape when touched with your finger.... I painted the boxes with a foam weeie roller so I didn't have to mask so much,.. but when I do furniture I just spray everything cause I can do it in the back garage..

wzuber

Reaction score
When painting those large Sportfishing boats there were usually other boats and their crews nearby also painting. So, there were many ideas passed around. Overnight freezing of the brush and roller was one of them. We tried it with some success. But, once we turned to the foam rubber brushes they were typically throw always.
What type of paint was used for that? oil base, urethane, polyurethane? It must have had some real good open work time?

wzuber

Reaction score
I just dig how you guys are all blaming the wives about the painting tasks.😂😄
lol....lets just say the quiet part out loud.........women ruin most everything. haha

wzuber

Reaction score

View attachment 1191418

View attachment 1191419

View attachment 1191420

in the pix it looks like the wall color is quite agreeable with floor tones. As the painters montra goes around these parts......"Looks good from my house". haha

wzuber

Reaction score
what kind of exterior primers do all you pro's prefer for wood, trim, stucco etc.? I've had good luck with kills & bullseye on wood and D.E.'s stucco prime.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Kills is garbage. I use Zisner or BIN. Home Depot finally has BIN in stock but went from 50$ to 75$ a gallon. I buy it at shilpark paint.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
behr paint primer doesn't need primer
Having rentals this is my experience on paint/primer combos...its thick paint that will cover very basic things but stains etc will make it through. Dunn & SW paints are better quality. But I still am not a fan of all in ones and I keep primer for areas I need it.

wzuber

Reaction score
Kills is garbage. I use Zisner or BIN. Home Depot finally has BIN in stock but went from 50$ to 75$ a gallon. I buy it at shilpark paint.
Garbage how?
Bin is a good product in the Zinser products line and are good products in their own right, for their individual applications, agreed.

wzuber

Reaction score
How about paint prep? What trix do all you paint pro's have for prep to share since it's such a significant part of the job?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Porter cable belt sander. Followed by orbital. Have 3 of each.

endobear

Reaction score
Garbage how?
Bin is a good product in the Zinser products line and are good products in their own right, for their individual applications, agreed.
Oil Kilz isn't what it used to be. It's barely acceptable as a stain blocker. Some stains it will take 2 coats of it to kill a stain.
It's not the do all primer it was 10 years ago.

endobear

Reaction score
How about paint prep? What trix do all you paint pro's have for prep to share since it's such a significant part of the job?
Depends on what your painting. Tons of scenarios.

endobear

Reaction score
behr paint primer doesn't need primer
I disagree.
Patch a level 5 slick finish wall and try to paint it with a paint and primer in one product. Even a level 1. It will always flash.
Every rep will tell you "it's paint and primer in one and you can run it by its self but it's always best to us the correct primer for your substrate."
DTM's and DTG's are the only paints we don't prime 1st.

Last edited:

DC-88

Reaction score
My favorite long time one or 2 man painter and buddy who does a lot of my custom homes impressed me today. Yesterday I was running around and he gave me a sanding block and asked if I’d roll it up on a chop saw to cut a 45 rolled up at 45 deg. I didn’t think much of it but in this pic I just took tonight he’d taken it home and glassed a mold using a scrap of 4-1/4” crown , and was able to repeatedly stick paper on it to sand the 1,400 lineal feet of little squares in the coffered ceilings throughout one of our jobs .
E43A55B6-4400-4DF6-9F8C-89EA3E509274.jpeg

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I disagree.
Patch a level 5 slick finish wall and try to paint it with a paint and primer in one product. Even a level 1. It will always flash.
Every rep will tell you "it's paint and primer in one and you can run it by its self but it's always best to us the correct primer for your substrate."
DTM's and DTG's are the only paints we don't prime 1st.
so you're talking spot repair VS a whole wall??? I use primer on new drywall

UltraLucky

Reaction score
What is the paint type recommendation for exterior siding out in the Havasu Parker area?
acrylic, latex? Any tips onsize of airless spray nozzles for the exterior paints?