WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DJI Mavic Air

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty sure I'm gonna pull the trigger on one of these with the fly more package.

From what I've read, State Farm offers a personal articles policy that covers the drone for approx $65/year. I'll be flying primarily over water, so the thought of having coverage in the event it has a splashdown or takes off into the desert is appealing.

Anyone have any feedback/experience with the Mavic Air or the policy through State Farm?

www.dji.com/mavic-air

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I was looking at the spark fly more package at frys a week ago. It was around $500. Ive never flown one so im thinking about the lower end spark to learn first. Plus having 4k isnt important to me. Pretty cool u can have it insured though for sure. Especially flying over water alot.

Wadernation

Reaction score
is this for the river? i heard some people were getting busted for flying them unknowingly in the refuge areas. But im sure on quiet weekends it would be no issue for good filming.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
DroneBabe?
I hear they are pretty fun to fly. Return to base if they lose signal.
Just don't operate in wind...cause they wont return to base. lol

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Just got one, 40% off through Nordstroms of all places, they have them on their website and my niece works there so she used her employee discount.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just got one, 40% off through Nordstroms of all places, they have them on their website and my niece works there so she used her employee discount.
Damn! You lucked out. Very cool.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
is this for the river? i heard some people were getting busted for flying them unknowingly in the refuge areas. But im sure on quiet weekends it would be no issue for good filming.
Yeah, for the river and for vacations. It's super small size is really perfect for taking along on vacay. Good to know about the refuge areas... better wear a cute bikini rhat day. Lol [emoji6][emoji16]

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have no experience with the Mavic and I have AAA. Just wanna get my post count up a little.

spchlss.gif

2Driver

Reaction score
I'd preread the policy in detail to find out whats covered and under what exact circumstances and if they take depreciation

Whats the deductible?

Most importany how would a loss effect your other polices ie auto or home policy even of you dont use SF for the other coverage.

USCFAN

Former Shitbox Owner...
Reaction score
Interesting I was just looking at buying one and came on to see if there was any feedback. lol

Patyacht

Reaction score
Flying Drones in National Parks and Refuges is illegal. BUT you can overfly those areas as long as you do not take off from within or land within those areas. In other words you can takeoff from outside the Refuge, then overfly then return and land outside the Refuge. The National Parks and Refuges do not own the airspace. The FAA does.

WAAZ

Reaction score
447F833B2E75E049DD9F12DDCFD5EA24.jpg
IMG_2979.JPG
Just my take on owning/flying a drone - I got a Mavic Pro in December thinking it would be cool, which it is, very cool. But you really need to study up on the drone setting and what they enable it to do and not do (return to home, obstical avoidance, max altitude and distance and a multitude of flight modes etc.) there's hundreds of YouTubes covering about everything. Then after your getting the flying thing down, there's camera operation and settings and video editing. It really helps if you're familiar with camera lingo. Again, more YouTubes. Oh yeah, don't forget about the legalities of flying - restricted airspace, no fly zones etc. Drones are pretty damn cool and super easy to fly even with no experience, just take it slow and study up. I still can't believe the amount of tech they pack into these little things.

Attachments

• IMG_3364.JPG
    IMG_3364.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 127

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
View attachment 638554 View attachment 638555 Just my take on owning/flying a drone - I got a Mavic Pro in December thinking it would be cool, which it is, very cool. But you really need to study up on the drone setting and what they enable it to do and not do (return to home, obstical avoidance, max altitude and distance and a multitude of flight modes etc.) there's hundreds of YouTubes covering about everything. Then after your getting the flying thing down, there's camera operation and settings and video editing. It really helps if you're familiar with camera lingo. Again, more YouTubes. Oh yeah, don't forget about the legalities of flying - restricted airspace, no fly zones etc. Drones are pretty damn cool and super easy to fly even with no experience, just take it slow and study up. I still can't believe the amount of tech they pack into these little things.

Great pics!! Been glued to YouTube videos lately! Thanks for the advice. I already know lots about photography, so that part will be easy.

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score

Wade/DB, we have a friend (our house cleaner actually) who was on a sandbar in the refuge and one of his buddies was flying a drone. He told us that after awhile, a helicopter came by and took control of the drone. The helicopter and drone both hovered over the sandbar and the helicopter got on a loud speaker and told them to bring it down immediately or they would take it. Buddy's friend got control back, brought it down and they all left the area immediately.

That said, I have thought about getting one for flying around my property, but since I live IN the refuge, that might be a problem.... :(

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wade/DB, we have a friend (our house cleaner actually) who was on a sandbar in the refuge and one of his buddies was flying a drone. He told us that after awhile, a helicopter came by and took control of the drone. The helicopter and drone both hovered over the sandbar and the helicopter got on a loud speaker and told them to bring it down immediately or they would take it. Buddy's friend got control back, brought it down and they all left the area immediately.

That said, I have thought about getting one for flying around my property, but since I live IN the refuge, that might be a problem.... :(
Good to know. Thanks John!

Wadernation

Reaction score

crazy!! thanks for the info

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I have the Mavic Pro, easy to fly, lots of good features, folds up to fit in backpack. You are on the right track with the fly more package, the charging hub and extra batteries was worth it. Check out DJI’s very own “Care Refresh” for damage and replacement.

Good luck and have fun flying!

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Yeah, for the river and for vacations. It's super small size is really perfect for taking along on vacay. Good to know about the refuge areas... better wear a cute bikini rhat day. Lol [emoji6][emoji16]

I was just telling my wife i want a drone for our lake powell trip.

Heylam

Reaction score
I’m afraid if I bought a drone, it would end up like a bread maker or food processor and just sit on a shelf once the thrill wore off.
How many people that bought Go Pros or Traegers still use them on a regular basis?

copterzach

Reaction score
I’m afraid if I bought a drone, it would end up like a bread maker or food processor and just sit on a shelf once the thrill wore off.
How many people that bought Go Pros or Traegers still use them on a regular basis?

That’s why I haven’t bought one. I have 3 Go Pros and so much video footage just sitting. It all needs to be gone through. Have not used Go Pros in about 2 years.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score

Bought a Phantom 3 pro when it came out. Top of the line at its time, 4K, etc. I’ve used it maybe 10 times and it just sits in the closet.

I will be selling it soon to upgrade, however.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
My Hero2 sucks for underwater shots, But I do plan of putting it on while I do some skiing this year :)
It's been a couple years since I dragged it out. My youtube channel has been silent for too long.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Be careful where you fly, lots of parks 100% forbid them, and heaven help you if you have a bird/ wild life interaction and a ranger sees it. Also if you use it for any type of business, it has to be registered with the FAA. Lots of photograhers getting hit up right now.

smokinjoe101

Reaction score
I purchased a Mavic Air a few weeks ago.... so far so good, been adjusting the gimbal sensitivity to have smoother video and playing with a few other settings... Had a little problem updating firmware but powered everything off and started over and second update went with out a hitch. I really like the compact size .. I believe if its easier to transport you will use it more.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Pretty sure I'm gonna pull the trigger on one of these with the fly more package.

From what I've read, State Farm offers a personal articles policy that covers the drone for approx $65/year. I'll be flying primarily over water, so the thought of having coverage in the event it has a splashdown or takes off into the desert is appealing.

Anyone have any feedback/experience with the Mavic Air or the policy through State Farm?

www.dji.com/mavic-air

I bought ours through DJI and it had insurance included in the package deal.
Flys nice

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought ours through DJI and it had insurance included in the package deal.
Flys nice
Thanks for the input! The one thing that I wasn't a fan of with their "insurance" is that it sounds like you still have to have the drone in order to make a claim. If I'm flying in the Bahamas and it goes rogue and dips into the ocean, it sounds like the State Farm insurance covers the loss (theft also).

Haven't spoken with an agent yet to hear what the deductible would be, but it's gotta be better than being out $1K.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
That’s why I haven’t bought one. I have 3 Go Pros and so much video footage just sitting. It all needs to be gone through. Have not used Go Pros in about 2 years.

Right there with you....

I have tried editing on a PC and it just plain sucks and I end up walking away.

Maybe I would do more with a macbook pro on imovie but I doubt it...lol

copterzach

Reaction score
Right there with you....

I have tried editing on a PC and it just plain sucks and I end up walking away.

Maybe I would do more with a macbook pro on imovie but I doubt it...lol

It’s easy to do with iMovie. It still time consuming

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I have a Phantom 4. I use every once in a while. I use action cams quite a bit. Garmin cams with GPS stats. Mostly for training and critique my or my boys activity. Really helps for off-road, BMX, boating, snowboarding etc. more useful tool. As for the drone I used it to find out where a missing roof tile was located. Saved me time and aggravation on the roof. I guess in a lot of words these gadgets are not just for LAM glam videos.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
As for the drone I used it to find out where a missing roof tile was located. Saved me time and aggravation on the roof. I guess in a lot of words these gadgets are not just for LAM glam videos.

Funny you say that. I’m in the insurance industry and my company has basically piloted and rolled out drones for all of the property inspectors. Reduced liability for steep roofs and idiots that just don’t know how to climb a ladder

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
View attachment 638554 View attachment 638555 Just my take on owning/flying a drone - I got a Mavic Pro in December thinking it would be cool, which it is, very cool. But you really need to study up on the drone setting and what they enable it to do and not do (return to home, obstical avoidance, max altitude and distance and a multitude of flight modes etc.) there's hundreds of YouTubes covering about everything. Then after your getting the flying thing down, there's camera operation and settings and video editing. It really helps if you're familiar with camera lingo. Again, more YouTubes. Oh yeah, don't forget about the legalities of flying - restricted airspace, no fly zones etc. Drones are pretty damn cool and super easy to fly even with no experience, just take it slow and study up. I still can't believe the amount of tech they pack into these little things.

Agreed.
My P2 crashed hard and was destroyed a while back due to malfunction. It was having problems and I knew it was a crash risk.
But that was due to battery failure, which was my fault because I chose not to replace them when it told me something was wrong.
But anyway, these things are not whammo toys that you pull out of the box and fly around (although very close!) I spent a lot of time with it plugged into the laptop exploring the maintenance, diagnostics, and settings app. The controller itself also has a maintenance app.
My trees at the old house were 125’ tall. The default “come home” altitude was 66’. I reset all that stuff plugged into the laptop. I had altitude limited to 400’, distance set at 1000’, battery level warning at 30%, come home at 20% (hand in hand with the distance limiter), land at 5%.
I always flew in GPS mode, always calibrated sticks before every flight, always kept fresh AA batteries in the controller and a full charge on the range booster.
The Mavik Pro is a vast improvement over my old P2.
Mine had no avoidance, no follow feature, no recognition feature, etc.

I will say this, the learning curve for actually flying is about 10 minutes if you’ve ever ran anything remote.
They are literally the easiest thing in the world to learn to fly.
They actually do fly themselves, it’s real hard to fuck up, and the Mavik makes it even easier compared to earlier phantoms.
I do not recommend getting the spark with the intention of learning then moving up, it’s not necessary.
Just get he one you want to start with, but WATCH THE YOU TUBE VIDEOS!!
Between the instructions, the maintenance apps and online diagnostics and software updates, plus the you tube vids you can learn all there is to know about the operation and functions in a progressive manner.
My next one will be the Mavik Pro package.
I don’t need the P4 or above, the Mavik does far more than my old P2.

Duffster

Reaction score
All DJI Mavic drones have to be registered with the FAA it’s like $25 for 2-years. If your doing business with it you will need a 107 certificate license that requires a test and can be pricey. And you don’t need insurance unless you plan on crashing it.

The problem with drones is that people that don’t have them don’t like them and think they know all the FAA rules like the drone police. Sure you can’t fly in state parks or within 5-miles of an airport but just about everywhere else is pretty much fare game if you keep it in check under 300ft.

And you dont need to show your FAA registration card to any kook off the street when they ask if it’s registered.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
All DJI Mavic drones have to be registered with the FAA it’s like $25 for 2-years. If your doing business with it you will need a 107 certificate license that requires a test and can be pricey. And you don’t need insurance unless you plan on crashing it.

The problem with drones is that people that don’t have them don’t like them and think they know all the FAA rules like the drone police. Sure you can’t fly in state parks or within 5-miles of an airport but just about everywhere else is pretty much fare game if you keep it in check under 300ft.

And you dont need to show your FAA registration card to any kook off the street when they ask if it’s registered.

Actually, the drone itself is not registered. It’s the pilot.
The drone requires the reg number of the pilot to be fixed to it.
A pilot can have up to 50 drones (if memory serves) with the same number on it.
Unless the rules have changed since I registered.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
https://www.swellpro.com/waterproof...HfvJMNE0GD8-yV53jcEFoWUOSu521U9YaArTEEALw_wcB
DB, this is the splashdrone 3 auto waterproof drone that flies from water and can land in water, no issues. but the DJI Mavic is a sweet deal if you decide to buy it. we have a Yuneec Typhoon, it has 4 k video and is outstanding, but it is really large!
That sure looks cool, but I just ordered the Air. That's a bit more spendy that I wanna go on a toy too... lol

Duffster

Reaction score
Actually, the drone itself is not registered. It’s the pilot.
The drone requires the reg number of the pilot to be fixed to it.
A pilot can have up to 50 drones (if memory serves) with the same number on it.
Unless the rules have changed since I registered.

Your right and it’s a total bullshit information collecting thanks for the money kind of deal. Then your an instant drone pilot.