WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DMV & China Dirt Bikes

zhandfull

Reaction score
Grandson got a China Motorcycle from his uncle and wants me to take him riding. Is it registered or titled? No! Off to DMV I go. Four hours later I leave DMV and need to bring motorcycle back for vin verification. That was last Friday.

Don’t even have a truck anymore. Checked Craigslist for trailers and ended up with A used $80 Harbor Freight motorcycle hitch rack for the Jeep. Of course it needed an hour of cutting, grinding and drilling to make it work with my oversized spare.

This morning back to DMV I go. In line at 7:30 get my number around 9:30 then get in line for inspection. Think they took a break right before I got my inspection. By the time inspector comes back out for my inspection. I get the text that it’s my turn inside, window 16, shit gonna miss it. Inspector says they will give me a new number.

Get my new number and now have to wait another hour and a half but finally got it titled and registered $160 later.

Think I’m in to this whole deal for about 10-12 hours and $240 so far before he has even ridden the bike. Thanks Uncle! Lol

Should be a good time till he is trying to race or keep up with a younger kid with a real bike.

The things we do for our kids and grandkids. 😁

Attachments

• 1D233646-0AED-4C1F-9287-9D0248E97BBB.jpeg
    1D233646-0AED-4C1F-9287-9D0248E97BBB.jpeg
    357.3 KB · Views: 195

RVRKID

Reaction score
Luckily I have a buddy who is CHP, so for my sons Coolster quad I took pics of the VIN and everything filled out a piece of paper and he signed it. took it in and had a sticker within an hour I think.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Why on earth would you have to register a dirt bike ?? Do you know how many on-road cars are not registered ? Rhetorical question ...

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Grandson got a China Motorcycle from his uncle and wants me to take him riding. Is it registered or titled? No! Off to DMV I go. Four hours later I leave DMV and need to bring motorcycle back for vin verification. That was last Friday.

Don’t even have a truck anymore. Checked Craigslist for trailers and ended up with A used $80 Harbor Freight motorcycle hitch rack for the Jeep. Of course it needed an hour of cutting, grinding and drilling to make it work with my oversized spare.

This morning back to DMV I go. In line at 7:30 get my number around 9:30 then get in line for inspection. Think they took a break right before I got my inspection. By the time inspector comes back out for my inspection. I get the text that it’s my turn inside, window 16, shit gonna miss it. Inspector says they will give me a new number.

Get my new number and now have to wait another hour and a half but finally got it titled and registered $160 later.

Think I’m in to this whole deal for about 10-12 hours and $240 so far before he has even ridden the bike. Thanks Uncle! Lol

Should be a good time till he is trying to race or keep up with a younger kid with a real bike.

The things we do for our kids and grandkids. 😁

I got my son and daughter a Chinese quad and dirt bike to see if they were going to be into it. They actually keep up pretty well with the Japanese stuff. But still not on the same level as far as build quality.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
I shouldn't leak this but oh well. California wants to be able to charge the OHV fees for the people who come in from outside the state so they offer a pass which is not tied to any vin# at all. You just pay the money and get to ride any nonregistered vehicle offroad. I used to have an old VW rail we would take to glamis and I would pay $20 for the yearly. It's now $30 is looks like. I used to buy them at cycle parts west but mail order is easy.
Buying this pass each year is cheaper than actual CA OHV registration. https://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25669

77charger

Reaction score
I shouldn't leak this but oh well. California wants to be able to charge the OHV fees for the people who come in from outside the state so they offer a pass which is not tied to any vin# at all. You just pay the money and get to ride any nonregistered vehicle offroad. I used to have an old VW rail we would take to glamis and I would pay $20 for the yearly. It's now $30 is looks like. I used to buy them at cycle parts west but mail order is easy.
Buying this pass each year is cheaper than actual CA OHV registration. https://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25669
May not work out all that well few years ago a few got their high end sand rails towed because they had no VINs on them and also using the out of state stcikers.Another show them a ca id they will wonder and investigate why you dont have it registered in the state.