WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DMV Stickers. Anyone know what to do with these?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
These boat style stickers came with the new trucks plates.
First I’ve seen this:
06F4FEF6-A7DA-41B0-B17C-4A7B2D095DEE.jpeg

No instructions included. Never seen this.
WTF are these?

4Waters

Reaction score
They go on the doors of your truck, someone checked a wrong box, your truck is not used commercially.

From DMV

CVRA Weight Decals/Year Stickers
CVRA-registered vehicles are issued CVRA weight decals/year stickers that must be displayed on both the right/left sides of the vehicle. CVRA year stickers correspond in color with the license plate registration sticker.

CVRA weight decals indicate the highest GVW/CGW at which the vehicle may be operated. For example, if your vehicle's operating weight is 42,000 lbs. GVW, the weight decals/ and registration card will show "45" (for 45,000 lbs.). When you receive new decals/registration card, make sure they have the correct weight range. However, "54" decals Decals are valid for a vehicle operating up to 54,999 lbs. GVW/CGW.

CVRA weight decals are issued once with the CVRA year stickers. On subsequent renewals, only the CVRA year stickers are issued, unless the operating weight changes or replacement CVRA weight decals are requested.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
GMC 3500 Dually pick up.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
They go on the doors of your truck, someone checked a wrong box, your truck is not used commercially.

From DMV

CVRA Weight Decals/Year Stickers
CVRA-registered vehicles are issued CVRA weight decals/year stickers that must be displayed on both the right/left sides of the vehicle. CVRA year stickers correspond in color with the license plate registration sticker.

CVRA weight decals indicate the highest GVW/CGW at which the vehicle may be operated. For example, if your vehicle's operating weight is 42,000 lbs. GVW, the weight decals/ and registration card will show "45" (for 45,000 lbs.). When you receive new decals/registration card, make sure they have the correct weight range. However, "54" decals Decals are valid for a vehicle operating up to 54,999 lbs. GVW/CGW.

CVRA weight decals are issued once with the CVRA year stickers. On subsequent renewals, only the CVRA year stickers are issued, unless the operating weight changes or replacement CVRA weight decals are requested.
Thanks.
I'll keep them in the glove box J.I.C.
I wonder if I'm being charged more for my registration?

Mikes56

Reaction score
Make sure you are registering it for under 10,000 lbs otherwise DMV will bend you over each and every year.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I would not put them on your doors as it will be clear that you are under registered when towing your 5th wheel. I have 26 stickers on my 3500s. Registration is like 550$ more for 26k stickers. Regular dually most likely they won't mess with you. Work truck dead giveaway without.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Jays telling me even new 1500s are getting them.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
That’s a cvra sticker. You have a gvwr of more than 11500 and an unladen weight of more than 8001 (3500 dually 4x4? Weight is like 8100...) and thus are not a pickup truck anymore.

Don’t get caught hauling more weight than what you’re registered/declared for. You’re registered as a commercial vehicle and pay as such. If you put them on the truck I believe you also need a “not for hire”.

ive heard people taking the seats out, empty gas tank,and inside rear wheels off to shed weight and going to a weigh station to get under the 8001 limit.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
This is not good. I probably won’t put them on.

4Waters

Reaction score
I think you only have to put them on if the truck is being used for business, like the guys towing gooseneck multi car trailers. Your truck is for personal use only.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Make sure you are registering it for under 10,000 lbs otherwise DMV will bend you over each and every year.

aaa told me only way around it is to have one of those camper trailers with a pooper in with an inspection and you can get back to a passenger truck registration. But if you take it off and get pulled over you’ll be screwed.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Jays telling me even new 1500s are getting them.
Registered to a business. My 2500hd is personal just for that reason. Tow my dump trailers. They sit at the dump like shooting fish in a barrel.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Look into seeing if someone messed up your registration. Usually with those stickers you need; 3/4 million dollar insurance policy, CA numbers, and motor carrier permit. Pickup trucks below 14,000 gvwr were usually exempt from this BS, unless the law changed in the last year.

Mikes56

Reaction score
aaa told me only way around it is to have one of those camper trailers with a pooper in with an inspection and you can get back to a passenger truck registration. But if you take it off and get pulled over you’ll be screwed.
I'm pretty sure he's got a commercial plate for the truck, but the more weight you say you are hauling, the costs go up exponentially. It looks like the "15" sticker is for 15,000 lbs. Under 10,000 lbs is the cheapest you're going to get with a commercial plate.
If you change it to a non commercial, then yes you are screwed if you take the camper shell, get caught hauling something, and get a ticket.

Your ad here

Reaction score
You guys know a Ford Ranger has commercial registration. The detail is in the weight. Commercial plate sequence is #X##### or #####X#. Non commercial plate sequence is #XXX###.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Can someone explain the declaring under 10K weigh for California? I've never heard such a thing or 10K weigh category. The weigh stickers start at 15K. Now in Az, it does make a difference because there is a 10K weigh category.

Mikes56

Reaction score
Can someone explain the declaring under 10K weigh for California? I've never heard such a thing or 10K weigh category. The weigh stickers start at 15K. Now in Az, it does make a difference because there is a 10K weigh category.
When you get your registration renewal in the mail, look at it closely and you will see a box you can fill out with your weight, and sign. Unless something has changed recently. I renewed my Chevy dually in September.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Every pickup is classified as commercial, take a peek at your registration.

Does this mean that I should have been stopping at the weigh station all these years?

Singleton

Reaction score
I leave mine in the glove box.
your trailer is more then 15k so do not put on door!

Your ad here

Reaction score
I leave mine in the glove box.
your trailer is more then 15k so do not put on door!
The 15K number is for combined weight. Truck and trailer. 15K trailer will put the combined weight in the 22K to 25K weight range.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Thanks for the takes.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Thinking RV trailers may have some sort of an exemption from the vehicle CGVW rules. But if it doesn’t the overweight ticket will really make your butt pucker!

Last edited:

Sherpa

Reaction score
All pickup trucks in Califnornia have "commercial" plates.......... period............. unless you change the status of your truck to something with a
permanent camper on it... "then it's pickup-mounted" status...... which takes away the weight fees only....... but you can't remove the camper or
shell because you'll get a ticket for it......

and yes TPC, your DMV agent upped your truck to the 15K range...... and yes, you're paying more for it....... about $400 bucks more...... doesn't
matter if you don't put the stickers on the door or not. you already paid for them........

what the DMV is trying to do is catch guys towing big 5th wheels, and charging them for the total GVWR.... so if your truck weighs 8000, and the trailer
weighs 7000, your total is 15,000... the nevt range is 26,000 I think..... which is max for regular "C" class drivers license.......

the little chick at the DMV really pushed for me to pay to have the 15,000 stickers...... she said If I'm towing any CHP can make me run thru
scales and if I'm over the basic 10,000 rating I'm gonna get a ticket........ I declined...... I don't have a trailer yet for my dodge 3500 dually.

when I do, I'm still gonna keep my basic weight status. which is 10,000........... don't know how they come up with this shit. my truck weighs
about 8,800 empty...... little ski boat and trailer weighs 3,300......... which puts me over the 10,000 limit...... F'them.

Sherpa

Your ad here

Reaction score
There's a sign at every Ca scale that says "no pickups". The weigh sticker is intended for trucks used for "as hire". The 1 tons are the grey area. If it has a pickup bed it should be exempt. If it has a flatbed or service bed then it needs the weight stickers. People at the DMV don't know what they're talking about. They gave me a Commercial A license instead of the motorcycle license I applied for. FWIW, I drove a stickered F450 flatbed for 12 years, most times with a trailer and stopped at the scales 5 times. Never got harrassed the other 100 times I didn't stop. I never stopped for CHP road side inspections either and was never harrassed. They are going after the big guys.

DavidtheEngineer

Reaction score
First off, lots of people who are saying pickups are commercial, period - nope. If you have a camper shell permanently attached to your truck, at least in California, you can remove the commercial part of it off.
I own two service body trucks, both Ford F350's. One is registered for under 10,000 pounds (it had a 25k sticker on it when I bought it) but I had it derated, as I'd never haul a trailer with it (nor does it have a trailer hitch). The second I have rated for 15k pounds, and I'm stickered accordingly. My stickers are just below my rear-view
mirrors. I do haul trailers with it.
CHP Commercial Enforcement (the ones that drive the pickups with camper shells) once pulled me over in the Ford without the stickers. Their biggest concern seemed to be that I didn't have company logos on my truck; they let me go but followed me to the metal yard with hopes of catching me loading up with more weight than I'm allowed to carry. I walked back out with a single 6' stick of 3 inch channel iron - He gave me a big smile and a thumbs up as I drove back past him.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
First off, lots of people who are saying pickups are commercial, period - nope. If you have a camper shell permanently attached to your truck, at least in California, you can remove the commercial part of it off.

WRONG. You must have a CAMPER with a toilet and bed. Not a camper shell, a CAMPER. At this point it becomes a "housecar" and carries more of a RV registration status than a truck.

DMV said:
Human habitation is defined as living space which includes, but is not limited to: closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, and bath or toilet rooms.

Northstar-camper-Laredo.jpg

4Waters

Reaction score
WRONG. You must have a CAMPER with a toilet and bed. Not a camper shell, a CAMPER. At this point it becomes a "housecar" and carries more of a RV registration status than a truck.

Less than 2 years ago I registered my truck as non commercial with just a shell with no issues. Registration before was just under 300 and we just got the renewal yesterday and it's 137

outboard_256

Reaction score
Less than 2 years ago I registered my truck as non commercial with just a shell with no issues. Registration before was just under 300 and we just got the renewal yesterday and it's 137

I have several friends that also did this in the last few years just to get out of the high registration. But like someone said, don't get caught with out the camper on.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
That might come across badly I meant that as a prank on your wife not talking trash. Haha

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
For the most part it's commercial based. You don't have a service body or a ladder rack TPC plus its a high end truck which wont really be looked at... so just keeping those stickers in the glove box is a good plan. That sticker is the MOST your vehicle can weigh combined. I used to run 20's on my Isuzu box trucks incase we pulled a small trailer. I wont get into license class or what your allowed to tow on a regular class C license.

You can choose your gross weight on the registration. Upon next renewal read what the DMV sends you however 15k is the lowest I was able to choose for those NPR's but your registration may say differently.

Singleton

Reaction score

Something changed in Jan 2018.
To qualify today, it has to more then a shell. I looked into it when I got my F350 in May 2018 and it was not as easy as it was in the past.

today you need to meet the following
Adding a camper shell to a pickup truck does not necessarily constitute a change from commercial to auto registration. The addition must meet the definitions for human habitation or camping purposes. Otherwise, the vehicle may be subject to citation from law enforcement for not meeting the definition of an auto. Human habitation is defined as living space which includes, but is not limited to: closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, and bath or toilet rooms.

braindead

Reaction score
Something changed in Jan 2018.
To qualify today, it has to more then a shell. I looked into it when I got my F350 in May 2018 and it was not as easy as it was in the past.

today you need to meet the following
Adding a camper shell to a pickup truck does not necessarily constitute a change from commercial to auto registration. The addition must meet the definitions for human habitation or camping purposes. Otherwise, the vehicle may be subject to citation from law enforcement for not meeting the definition of an auto. Human habitation is defined as living space which includes, but is not limited to: closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, and bath or toilet rooms.
there are many different qualifications that your pick up truck can be registered under as an automobile, I’m not sure which qualification your talking about, but when I went to AAA about 6-8 months ago I was able to register my pick up truck as a “utility vehicle“, which falls under the automobile category. All I told them was that it was a pick up truck that had a shell mounted to it and would not be used for commercial purposes.

braindead

Reaction score

no, you’re WRONG, I did it earlier this year with just a shell on the back of my truck.

You really should educate yourself on the different qualifications and categories an automobile can fall under.

Singleton

Reaction score
there are many different qualifications that your pick up truck can be registered under as an automobile, I’m not sure which qualification your talking about, but when I went to AAA about 6-8 months ago I was able to register my pick up truck as a “utility vehicle“, which falls under the automobile category. All I told them was that it was a pick up truck that had a shell mounted to it and would not be used for commercial purposes.

what type of pickup?
Weight plays a role on what you can do.
Any F250, F350, 2500, 3500 will not qualify as a utility vehicle.

dspracing

Reaction score
no, you’re WRONG, I did it earlier this year with just a shell on the back of my truck.

You really should educate yourself on the different qualifications and categories an automobile can fall under.

We can all agree on one thing, the DMV policies are so overly complicated that not even the DMV knows what is what. Another example is the restriction 41 endorsement for towing 5th wheels. The DMV handbook contradicts itself, try actually getting it added to your license!

Singleton

Reaction score
We can all agree on one thing, the DMV policies are so overly complicated that not even the DMV knows what is what. Another example is the restriction 41 endorsement for towing 5th wheels. The DMV handbook contradicts itself, try actually getting it added to your license!

I tried. Had the page printed out and the DMV office still could not figure it out. Finally said, F it and left.

dspracing

Reaction score
I tried. Had the page printed out and the DMV office still could not figure it out. Finally said, F it and left.
I was able to get mine. Took about 4 hours. The first hour or so was them figuring out what I was talking about. Then had to take a gauntlet of exams. C license, M1 and then what I believe is the non commercial class A exam. All kinds of air brake questions etc.

From what I’ve researched, the chp doesn’t even know about what I now believe is a relic in the dmv system just like many of those other outdated laws that are still on the books.

braindead

Reaction score
what type of pickup?
Weight plays a role on what you can do.
Any F250, F350, 2500, 3500 will not qualify as a utility vehicle.

my truck is a 3500 cab chassis that I removed the 12ft utility bed off of and installed a standard 8ft pickup bed and added a custom built toolbox in the dead space between the cab and bed