WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Do I need a surveyor?

SoCalDave

Reaction score
We're adding on to our future home as an owner/builder and I'm not 100% sure of the property lines. Talked with the city (Lakewood) planning/building dept and they are of no help regarding property lines. Someone I talked to suggested to contact LA County Records Dept but I'm assuming they are only going to refer me to the below document I got from the County Tax Assessor. I just want to make sure our setbacks are to code.
Is it best to get the property surveyed and if so can anyone recommend a individual or firm that provides such service?

1618525160365.png

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Is there an existing block wall? Are you going right on the setback? If you are somewhat suspect of the property line and trying to get zeroed out directly on the setback I would get a survey if you don't have one or cant find the pins etc... But if you are a foot or two to the good on the set back with a pretty good idea of the PL I wouldn't sweat it on a master planned deal like that. The city has never required it from my stuff. OR if you are at war with your neighbors definitely get a survey.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Depending on your terrain, you could pull some tapes and probably identify the PL’s pretty close since you have distance on the plan. Dig at that spot for some Pins which would be pipe most likely

UltraLucky

Reaction score

Above is a link to CLSA, A professional association of Licensed Surveyors in the state. Type in your zip and they will give the surveyors in your area that are part of the association. We usually no not see large deviations from the existing fence lines in these types of Tracts with the original homes and wood fences. Areas were people are are doing teardowns encroachments are more common. Some cities now are requiring a survey if you are building up to the setback, not sure about your area.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
As noted if you are getting close to set backs it is best to have a survey done. We did that with our RV garage since we are maxing out on that side of the property. It is cheap insurance. That and a building permit. I can’t understand why people do not pull permits. It will bite them in the ass if they ever sell down the road.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Yeah I just want to do it right the first time is why I'm asking.

In contact with someone already...

DLC

Reaction score
It will be best to have your entire property pined while the crew is out just so you know.

id figure about a $5,000 bill to get it done. Curious to see what it comes back at. Send me a PM after it’s done With the amount, please!

I had a friend move in down the street temporarily, he was building a house and had delays, this was in late 1990’s. His family owned a survey company and while having beers in the drive way one night I say hey what’s a good neighbor cash deal on a survey of my property, he said $1200-1500 .... I was like wow, that was a lot if cash back in the day

so I kinda figured 3 times that today.....

zhandfull

Reaction score
It will be best to have your entire property pined while the crew is out just so you know.

id figure about a $5,000 bill to get it done. Curious to see what it comes back at. Send me a PM after it’s done With the amount, please!

I had a friend move in down the street temporarily, he was building a house and had delays, this was in late 1990’s. His family owned a survey company and while having beers in the drive way one night I say hey what’s a good neighbor cash deal on a survey of my property, he said $1200-1500 .... I was like wow, that was a lot if cash back in the day

so I kinda figured 3 times that today.....

The survey equipment is so much more efficient now days. Using gps also requires less labor. I’m thinking about $1,500 for lot lines if you find the right company but that’s just a guess on my part.

Reactions: DLC

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
We had our house surveyed when purchased as well as had the plotting of the house on the lot when we started the discussion with the city for the RV garage. I might be able to dig up receipts if that would help.

DLC

Reaction score
Wow! That’s great news, I’m shocked it’s so cheap!

SodarSki73

Reaction score
I'm actually going through this right now. I live in Seal Beach and I've been getting survey proposals anywhere from $2,800 to $4,500 for property line, existing structure setbacks and topo. I find this pricing insane, considering it is a 2500 sq ft lot with a 1,500 sq ft structure on it, but whatever.

If anyone can provide any references for surveyors in the area, I'd appreciate it. So far, I've just been calling for favors from the surveyors I work with on the commercial side, but all these guys are so big and so busy, that they don't even know when they could get to me.

UltraLucky

Reaction score
$1000 is a good price I would have expected $1,800 to $2,500 for that parcel and location. If they are setting monuments be sure they tag them and file a corner record with the county. The fee is less than $20.00 and records the survey in case it is questioned in the future by any of the neighboring properties.

@soderski73 as the value of the property increases the amount of care and time to insure an accurate location of the property lines increases. I have seen lawsuits in Manhattan Beach over 1/2". When a Surveyor marks and tags a line they could become responsible for that location till they are dead. Size of lot does not have a huge impact on the Boundary determination cost. Lot of different things come into play on the survey cost. Some areas are a lot more difficult than others due to monumentation being destroyed.