WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Do Ya Ever Get the Kids Up in the Middle of the Nite for Crazy Stuff?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The In n Out near our home used to be open until 2 AM. May still be DAMFINO.

I'd roust the kids outta bed on warm nights and we ride our bikes there for "mid-rats."
That's military terms for MIDnight RATionS.

The boys all for it, they would mount up and roll,,, the girls would back up, balk, shaking their heads and NFW,, this is outta the norm,,,, nope,, not gonna happen,,, mom would be pissed,, and they jump back into bed.

So,, I'm about to wake the kids up to go and do cannon balls in the hotel pool.
Been closed since 9.
This hotel has a strict "NO FUN" policy.

Ya ever get your kids to break petty family,, or worse, "Moms Rules?"
Ya know,, like you video them skateboarding in the mall parking lots past the prohibited sign???

Any takes???

gigamurph

Reaction score
I don't know about roustin' the kids outta bed but when I was goin' to college in LA in the '70s, my Brother and I used to wait until 2:55AM 2-3 times a week and call Pizza Man. Remember their slogan? "We're open until 3 in the morning. 3 in the morning?" Did it so often that they got to havin' our order ready and waitin' for us. :skull

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score
The only thing we ever got waken up for in the middle of the night was if the tornado sirens went off... :thumbsdown

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
I make it a point, at least one river trip EVERY year, to load All the kids into the back of the pickup truck around 11:00 or midnight an take 'em down to that little day use beach by the sherrif's water station an let 'em go swimmin. I almost ALWAY's get a ration of shit from some of the "newbie" parents about # 1 " LET THEM RIDE IN THE BACK OFTHE TRUCK ??" and/or, 'go swimming at night ? " :D:D..............it's kinda tuff to tell YOUR kid NO when I already have 6 or 8 of the riverbrats loaded up ready to go :D..................and why do I do this ?...........cuz when the get to be MY AGE, they're STILL gonna remember the night time excursions :D same as I remember MINE as a kid :thumbsup

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I had enuf wakin up in the middle of the night stuff, when the kids were babies, to last a life time!!! :D

But, making memories is always a good thing...

:thumbsup

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
We live on a quiet country road, it is about three miles long and ends in a dead-end.

My eldest son was given an old beater Nissan 4x4 pickup by my sister when he was 14.
He fiddled with it and got to take the trash down the 1/4 mile driveway once a week.
I'd jump in with him evey now and then and drive him around in it, over to a friends house or something.
One day, we had been at his buddies house for a while and were ready to go home. I let him drive on the dirt road out to the paved county road, and the drill was we'd stop and switch drivers for the trip home.
He was bugging the crap out of me to let him drive the rest of the way home, he'd never had the thing out of second gear.
It was a lazy summer Saturday, nobody around, okay what the hell kid, live.
The smile on his face was priceless, neither he nor I will ever forget that little 2 mile trip...he is 25 now, and still reminds me of it now and then.

Last edited:

bunkrepair

Reaction score
i dont have any middle of the night stories and i dont have kids but i will never forget the first time my dad let me drive he picked me up from school im thinking 8th grade i was 13 i think and we went to get lunch( at a local bar) and it was pouring rain out sos he didnthvae to go back to work so he got pretty drunk.

Well when we left he tosses me the keys and tells me to take the back roads home..

to make a long story short the first words out of his mouth was dont drive the speed limit go 5 over or the cops will think your drunk and the second words were if you tell your mom im gonna kick your ass.. needless to say i was so excited to get to drive i got my ass kicked.. only because my 16 year old brother hadnt drove at this point in his life and i rubbed it in his face haha:champagne:

screaming pete

Reaction score
in the 60's my dad was on navy ships out of norfolk va. and he would be gone for 6-8 months at a time. i would save pop bottles the whole time every time and have hundreds of them. we would take them to the store and get .05 ea. $30-40 bucks worth and then me and dad would go to Pappy's bar and play shuffle board, beer and coke and eat slim jims till mom had to come get us. i still love slim jims:thumbsup

Cheaper To Keep Him

In training
Reaction score
I was 14, when Gramps let me drive the F-250 With an 11 Foot Camper from the Silverwood store back to the camp ground, The whole way he was telling me "You Gotta Get On The Gas Or We Are Gona Look Like Shit Going Up The Hill" Still remember that thing swaying in the wind.....Mom was Pissed! One of my best Teen Days.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The happiest day of my life was when my son didnt have to be in a f'n car seat anymore!!! We jump in my crew cab truck, he lays down in the front seat with his head next to me, hands behind his head, and his feet stickin out the passenger window.

Mom immidatedly tells him from the back seat...

"sit up and get your feet in the truck!"

I say, leave him alone, this is great stuff right here, and you only get to be a kid one time!!!

He says "yeah mom, it's good to be a kid sometimes!"

WE won that battle that day...

:D

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
another 1,sometimes i tell him(the oldest 1 is 8) get the rhino out and lets go for a ride he says" do we need a cooler" HELL YES ,he asks whos driving? you are im drunk! he digs it ,little brother rides in the back and hands me beers:D

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
in the 60's my dad was on navy ships out of norfolk va. and he would be gone for 6-8 months at a time. i would save pop bottles the whole time every time and have hundreds of them. we would take them to the store and get .05 ea. $30-40 bucks worth and then me and dad would go to Pappy's bar and play shuffle board, beer and coke and eat slim jims till mom had to come get us. i still love slim jims:thumbsup
I just got a box of 120 ct @ Costco last night,.......dayummmm ! they sure seem to be smaller these day's !

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I worked for a land developer when I was a kid and he'd call me at 2am to get hot glazed donuts and drive around rattlesnake hunting. Sounds weird, but a hot donut is absolutely amazing and playing with rattlers definitely got your blood pumping.

Last edited:

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Wassup Denny!!!!!!!!! Nice to see ya online again.

Wacha been up to these days?? :cool:
been kinda busy going to dr appointments, me & Marilyn both............wish I would'a known I was gonna live this long,.........................naw ! ....I STILL would'a burnt this candle from BOTH ends !!..............I been looking thru ALL the old threads I started YEARS ago, saveing a LOT of the pictures I THOUGHT I had lost when my stand alone hard drive died !!...............man I had a LOT....I also noticed I did NOT respond with likes or comments on wayyyyy to many of them, I didn't know what & how those things worked back then,....................so..............we going to the river next week, ya gonna be around ?

copterzach

Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea. Going to to bust their ass out of bed tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azsunfun

Reaction score
woke up the kids at 3.00 am to head to largest. woman owned long horn steer ranch in az, still dark on arrival i could not find the main house, found a gate pulled off the road woke up to being 200 yards from main house driveway, needless to say between no television, 2 am radio stations, 50000 acres preserved land, rattle snakes, and calling the long horns to feed, quads, and 4 wheeling, wife and kids still loved me! i choose to believe. 🤣

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
What made you search out a decade old thread?
a couple years ago, I had a backup stand alone hard drive crash, lost ALL my photo's, so just thought I check & see if any of them were STILL on here !.......Y E S !!!..............so againg, I been copying what I can..............thgis time gonna back them up FOUR TIMES !! :)..............

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
a couple years ago, I had a backup stand alone hard drive crash, lost ALL my photo's, so just thought I check & see if any of them were STILL on here !.......Y E S !!!..............so againg, I been copying what I can..............thgis time gonna back them up FOUR TIMES !! :)..............
Glad you found them.

Remember the rule of 3.
  • Have at least three copies of your data.
  • Store the copies on at least two different media types.
  • Keep at least one of those copies offsite.

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Glad you found them.

Remember the rule of 3.
  • Have at least three copies of your data.
  • Store the copies on at least two different media types.
  • Keep at least one of those copies offsite.
makes PERFECT sense too me ,.............................................NOW !................:)

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Following the topic of this thread… my dad would always wake me up to watch the space shuttle launch in the early 80’s. No way would I wake up my kids nowadays to watch a rich asshole ride a cock into the outer atmosphere.

badluck

Reaction score
Not at midnight but a few times a year we sneak out for ice cream! When the wife takes the dog out for a walk I get the kids out of bed and we do a covert mission to bask in robins. I have them back before she gets back from walking the dog. She has no idea. It’s been awhile. Might have to do it next week

rrrr

Reaction score
I don't know about roustin' the kids outta bed but when I was goin' to college in LA in the '70s, my Brother and I used to wait until 2:55AM 2-3 times a week and call Pizza Man. Remember their slogan? "We're open until 3 in the morning. 3 in the morning?" Did it so often that they got to havin' our order ready and waitin' for us. :skull

In the mid 70s, I spent a small fortune on delivery of pizza, subs, and six packs from the Out-R-Inn in Tempe.

Many of the calls were related to the late night use of marijuana.

😁 😁

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Staying at the Iron Horse Hotel in Milwaukee. I’d recommend this hotel for sure. Wife and I were down at the outside bar our son was up watching TV away from us. Went and grabbed our son who was about 13 at the time and hopped on to a freight train that was going slowly on the tracks next to the hotel. The wife thought that I was crazy and was not really on board with the idea.

Love you honey!!!!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
been kinda busy going to dr appointments, me & Marilyn both............wish I would'a known I was gonna live this long,.........................naw ! ....I STILL would'a burnt this candle from BOTH ends !!..............I been looking thru ALL the old threads I started YEARS ago, saveing a LOT of the pictures I THOUGHT I had lost when my stand alone hard drive died !!...............man I had a LOT....I also noticed I did NOT respond with likes or comments on wayyyyy to many of them, I didn't know what & how those things worked back then,....................so..............we going to the river next week, ya gonna be around ?

Headed to Mammoth for a few days. Plus I hate the summer heat/crowds and humidity! I probably won't be back out till October.

Tell your wife hiya. There was some talk at a family party last night about Thanksgiving at the river this year. You still have Thanksgiving at your place??

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Last year was the 1st in 15 years of Thanksgiving at the river,.....we didn't , mainly cuz me & Marilyn had dr. appointments, and, she was just getting over a bout of chemotherapy, that and , we had 2 kid's away at college, the other two grandson's are now driving and have discovered "girl's" , so, we won't be seeing those TWO for a couple years,but as it turned out, EVERYBODY DID come to the ranch for one of our family, sit down , dinner's..............maybe THIS year,............Marilyn's doctor's keep throw around the word "remission",.............we SHOULD know by Thanksgiving, IF we get the all clear we're hoping for, we're gonnaa load up the motor home an just start driving, in the general direction of Florida......................

Mike K

Reaction score
You are so right.
My daughters are 30 + now.
Their fondest memories were doing stuff exactly like you are talking about.
So ...the moral of the story ?
Do fun off the wall wacky stuff with your kids because they'll always remember you were so fun to be around.
Seriously ... I am not kidding ... Im still getting the high fives 30 years later for doing stuff that no one else would ever do!
You are so right.
Thanks for making me think that again.