WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Do you carry an extra lanyard key?

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

The rash of people going overboard lately has me thinking, with the new law requiring use of lanyards, do you have an extra on your boat that someone could easily find in the event you fell overboard and the wind is blowing, this is assuming there is another party aboard your boat that can operate it.

I’m not trying to start a controversy over the use of lanyards or not. I personally have never worn one because I don’t have a boat that goes that fast maybe I’m stupid, but it is what it is.

Maybe I’m just overthinking this.🤔

P S. I don’t know why part of this is in bold print I’m not shouting I must’ve hit a button I didn’t know about.🤗

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Interesting . . . never thought of it that way.
I guess I figured if I flew out, the motor would stop, I'd swim back and get in the boat & off we'd go.
Stupidly, I've never considered I may not be able to get back in & the boat would be dead in the water. I guess it's time to get an extra lanyard/ key.
Thanks for the post & knocking a few cobwebs out of my skull. 👍

4Waters

Reaction score
Definitely not over thinking it, you're thinking outside the box, Definitely should have an extra that is visible

traquer

Reaction score
Never had a lanyard, none of my v-hull boats went above 70 so didn't even cross my mind. I don't even know how they work. I just know the boat runs when it's switched to "on."

Would it switch to "off" when Lanyard is pulled, and in the confusion no one would think to flip it back to on to drive the boat to come get me in the water?

Reactions: DWC

BingerFang

Reaction score
I do…. But only because I haven’t thrown out the old one yet.

This is a great reason to keep the old one in the boat, thanks for the post!

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

The rash of people going overboard lately has me thinking, with the new law requiring use of lanyards, do you have an extra on your boat that someone could easily find in the event you fell overboard and the wind is blowing, this is assuming there is another party aboard your boat that can operate it.

I’m not trying to start a controversy over the use of lanyards or not. I personally have never worn one because I don’t have a boat that goes that fast maybe I’m stupid, but it is what it is.

Maybe I’m just overthinking this.🤔

P S. I don’t know why part of this is in bold print I’m not shouting I must’ve hit a button I didn’t know about.🤗

Usually the lanyard just flips a pole switch when its pulled out. Someone still in the boat can just throw the switch back to run, start the boat and go get you.

If you dont have the pole switch type, its the old pull off cap, just have to hold the button in and start the boat and idle over, dont let the button up.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Interesting.... mine is the type where you pull up and slide a clip on it... that keeps it in the up position unless pulled. Very similar to a PWC.... 20 year old boat! Only attached to me once... crazy weather one day....

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
So then what good is the lanyard? If you are not using it the way its supposed to be used, don't hook it up to yourself.

If it is hooked to you, and you fall out and are unable to get back in the boat, there are probably bigger problems.

My point was NOT having 2 lanyards is not going to limit you if one gets "lost". Someone else can still operate the boat.

If you refuse to operate your boat without the lanyard, then yea, have multiple lanyards.

Reactions: DWC

PDQH2O

Reaction score
I keep a few spares onboard of things like lanyard, drain plug, impeller, and fuses in case of an emergency.

RichL

Reaction score
Always have since we started running with the cutoff switch. Even showed the better half how to use. Only question is if she would remember.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I know some of the cut off switches you can just flip back up but the ones that slide in and clip someone would have to have a screwdriver or something to pull the switch out or bypass the wiring, not much time to do that if someone’s life is in jeopardy.

I am assuming most of us never even thought about wearing one unless we were going fast or in competition.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
I keep a few spares onboard of things like lanyard, drain plug, impeller, and fuses in case of an emergency.

Same...

Never had to use one myself, but have donated plugs a few times @ the ramp.

outboard_256

Reaction score
If it is hooked to you, and you fall out and are unable to get back in the boat, there are probably bigger problems.

My point was NOT having 2 lanyards is not going to limit you if one gets "lost". Someone else can still operate the boat.

If you refuse to operate your boat without the lanyard, then yea, have multiple lanyards.

He has a point, when the 2nd guy operating the boat falls out with no lanyard now you have a run away boat.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

Yes, the design you’re thinking of is easily bypassed, some of the other designs I’ve seen have a key/clip that wouldn’t be hard for myself or you to bypass but somebody who is not mechanically inclined might have difficulty.

I was just thinking about the 16-year-old that drowned recently after jumping off a pontoon and the wind blew the pontoon away while all the parties were in the water.

If you don’t want to carry an extra one that’s fine, I just thought for some of the inmates that have a similar set up as mine might want to have an extra one to hang off the keychain or some where it’s easily accessible.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
..,Having been around semi go fast boats since 1961 .,,never had anybody fall out of the boat and we were never allowed to jump in the water with the boat running even at idle…

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Hmm i happen know where to get a spare or just a new not stretched out one.

Your wife has different color bikini’s why not have different colored kill switch lanyards
F5FF7BEC-97EE-42AA-9849-DE6B33401DEF.jpeg