WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Do you feel like you live in the right place?

d4l

Reaction score
I sure doesnt!

I keep coming back to the thought of beeing stuck in the wrong place. Its not only the fact that our country is going down the drain, the taxes, some of the laws. Big and small things that effect you on a daily basis. But also the weather most time of the year, dark cold and wet. The people, around here if you meet a random person they are stiff, ride and full of themself. And dare you say ”How’s your day sir?” To a stranger! Does not help that most of the old friends I used to hang out with have turned into prius driving Greta loving lefties.

Sure you get home blind, and maybe I have not experienced enough of the US to know the everyday life and what its like. Atleast it looks like a place that rewards you for working hard, not the other way around.

Just a thought.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Move to Watts for a couple months and report back to us. ;)
Don't try to kill him! May as well send him to Chicago for the first thaw!

I sure doesnt!

I keep coming back to the thought of beeing stuck in the wrong place. Its not only the fact that our country is going down the drain, the taxes, some of the laws. Big and small things that effect you on a daily basis. But also the weather most time of the year, dark cold and wet. The people, around here if you meet a random person they are stiff, ride and full of themself. And dare you say ”How’s your day sir?” To a stranger! Does not help that most of the old friends I used to hang out with have turned into prius driving Greta loving lefties.

Sure you get home blind, and maybe I have not experienced enough of the US to know the everyday life and what its like. Atleast it looks like a place that rewards you for working hard, not the other way around.

Just a thought.

I have always thought I was born in the wrong time. Most everywhere has gone downhill in the past half century. I'd rather be from a 20's or 30's era;)

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Its good that you notice these things, but it’s not until you act on it that you realize how much you needed that change.
Don’t let the excuses of family and work stop you. Is where you live the only place in the country that does that work? No. What of you stay for Family and they move away for something different? Now you may be stuck there

gqchris

Reaction score
What you have sir is a case of the vacation blues. It always seems like the place to be when you get back home. But remember. You were on vacation and you hung out with people mostly on vacation also.

Life goes back to normal after desert storm.

There is alot of shit wrong here also. Trust me. I just sat on the freeway this morning for 2 hours to go 18 miles. Thats just a start. Lol.

It reminds me of people i went to high school with. They all wanted to move to NYC when graduated. And the NYC people all want to move to Hollywood. Grass isnt always greener!

Last edited:

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Come to cheeseland.... theres 20% more daylight. In my hood, there's no gangs, no real crime to speak of....(its closed of course)....

You'll have to learn how to ice fish for a couple of months, bit that shouldn't be a big change from your current program...

(Read: ITS TOO COLD FOR MUSLIMS HERE).....

fuck off... I said it. :eek:;):mad::mad::mad::mad:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ok, Whitey! :p
Did some jobs in Watts, Compton and other friendly places...and I'm a few shades darker than Nik;)

Come to cheeseland.... theres 20% more daylight. In my hood, there's no gangs, no real crime to speak of....(its closed of course)....

You'll have to learn how to ice fish for a couple of months, bit that shouldn't be a big change from your current program...

(Read: ITS TOO COLD FOR MUSLIMS HERE).....

fuck off... I said it. :eek:;):mad::mad::mad::mad:
Mooselumps aren't too far, don't they have a bunch in Minnesota?
Not to mention, there are some cold weather ones, both in their natural habitat and imported...like the ones wrecking Sweden.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Did some jobs in Watts, Compton and other friendly places...and I'm a few shades darker than Nik;)

Mooselumps aren't too far, don't they have a bunch in Minnesota?
Not to mention, there are some cold weather ones, both in their natural habitat and imported...like the ones wrecking Sweden.
I honestly feel deep down that the next batch of "crusades" will be happening sooner than later.

Its OUT OF FUCKING CONTROL..

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

I spent a good portion of my life in that area. My fathers shop was in Inglewood, Prairie and Century. Previous shop was on Imperial hwy., Imperial and Yukon. I started working for him in 1970. My grand parents houses were in Hawthorne, I attended Hawthorne Christian school the first years of my school life.

There was a big change in the '70's and again in the late '80's 'till today. It's a far cry from what is was like in the '50's and not for the better.
confrontations-Police-men-Watts-district-police-residents-March-1966 (1).jpg

@BoatCop was there to see much of it. Maybe too much.

d4l

Reaction score
What you have sir is a case of the vacation blues. It always seems like the place to be when you get back home. But remember. You were on vacation and you hung out with people mostly on vacation also.

Life goes back to normal after desert storm.

There is alot of shit wrong here also. Trust me. I just sat on the freerway is morning for 2 hours to go 18 miles. Thats just a start. Lol.

It reminds me of people i went to high school with. They all wanted to move to NYC when graduated. And the NYC people all want tk move to Hollywood. Grass is t always greener!

Thats what I mean by home blind and not experience the everyday life. US Im sure is full of shit places and stuff aswell, LA for example! But atleast let me work hard and get rewarded for it, let me go to the store and buy beer even tho its sunday, let me hook up the boat to my truck and head to the lake w/o having to worrie about the police, not couse the truck or me cant handle it, but becouse my licens dont allow me to tow more then a completely random number someone came up with.

Let me own a gun to protect my home and my family, instead of taking the party of the burglar I shoot in the leg.

Dont tax me 60!% if I happen to make $60k+ a year. Not that I do but still.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Thats what I mean by home blind and not experience the everyday life. US Im sure is full of shit places and stuff aswell, LA for example! But atleast let me work hard and get rewarded for it, let me go to the store and buy beer even tho its sunday, let me hook up the boat to my truck and head to the lake w/o having to worrie about the police, not couse the truck or me cant handle it, but becouse my licens dont allow me to tow more then a completely random number someone came up with.

Let me own a gun to protect my home and my family, instead of taking the party of the burglar I shoot in the leg.

Behind the Orange curtain is the place to be. You'd fit right in. :)

grumpy88

Reaction score
I agree with this thread . Today was my last day at work in California . Our house is in escrow , I'm at the river and I start work in Las Vegas on Monday . It's not our dream spot but it's out of California ! We will bring our conservative vote with us and hope for the best . Either way , fuck it !

Rayson1971

Reaction score
I agree with this thread . Today was my last day at work in California . Our house is in escrow , I'm at the river and I start work in Las Vegas on Monday . It's not our dream spot but it's out of California ! We will bring our conservative vote with us and hope for the best . Either way , fuck it !
Hate to hijack this but don't care. Adam good luck in Vegas. Wow had no idea.

d4l

Reaction score
So that's why you're bringing your lady to Desert Storm, try to talk her into moving.

I would never be able to afford that. Getting a green card is nearly impossible w/o secured economy and to get jobs for both of us with respectable pay, Idk.

Maybe I could do as all the shit we import here, get in as political refugee?

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score

You only live once and nobody gets out alive. I grew up in Hawthorne, on the edge of getto and the white privilege beach towns. I have moved on a whim all over southern california and knew from an early age that I had to get out. Colorado, Missouri and now Nevada. You can always go back home a lot easier than leaving ( thread on here about someone doing just that) What do/can you do for work ? Skilled trade or skill should have no problem making 50-70k in most parts of the good ole USA.

Wheeler

Reaction score
I would never be able to afford that. Getting a green card is nearly impossible w/o secured economy and to get jobs for both of us with respectable pay, Idk.

Maybe I could do as all the shit we import here, get in as political refugee?

There must be someone here that would hire you.

RD might be in need of a new driver. ;)

E68A970C-6714-406F-A6E9-3A9A1DA53A54.jpeg

Wheeler

Reaction score
For some reason your post reminded me of this song.

You only live once and nobody gets out alive. I grew up in Hawthorne, on the edge of getto and the white privilege beach towns. I have moved on a whim all over southern california and knew from an early age that I had to get out. Colorado, Missouri and now Nevada. You can always go back home a lot easier than leaving ( thread on here about someone doing just that) What do/can you do for work ? Skilled trade or skill should have no problem making 50-70k in most parts of the good ole USA.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I spent a good portion of my life in that area. My fathers shop was in Inglewood, Prairie and Century. Previous shop was on Imperial hwy., Imperial and Yukon. I started working for him in 1970. My grand parents houses were in Hawthorne, I attended Hawthorne Christian school the first years of my school life.

There was a big change in the '70's and again in the late '80's 'till today. It's a far cry from what is was like in the '50's and not for the better.
View attachment 802125
Seen that pic a bunch...weird now seeing a connection. Compton and Pomona were great in the 40's and 50's as well. Like I said in another thread, too bad my time machine threw a rod:p
I bounced out of California on a wing and a prayer, no jobs and not much in savings. Three kids, 11 and under. Life can pass you by if you don't take risks. Some do it for financial gain, some for sanity. The grass may not be greener on the other side, but you don't know until you hop the fence.

d4l

Reaction score

Im a driver, what I’v been doin most of my life. I do some garden jobs on the side, hedges, lawns etc aswell. But also worked within the concert buisness, building stages etc. When I was 15 me and two friends were sick of having no money so we came up with the idea that if we bought cheap socks, tea, cookies or other stuff we could knock doors and sell for profit. So I guess I have somewhat of a sales person in me aswell. A dream I have is to work with selling cars/trucks or boats, as its one of my interests I have a fair share of knowlege in that by now

My girl works in healthcare as in assistant to a guy who cant take care if himself due to his mediecal condition and needs help 24/7.

Reaction score
I sure doesnt!

Just a thought.

What you just described is called "getting old" :D

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

View attachment 802125
I have been told my Great Great Grandpa was the major of Compton back when the population didn't even have a comma and it was a lot of orchards.
Im a driver, what I’v been doin most of my life. I do some garden jobs on the side, hedges, lawns etc aswell. But also worked within the concert buisness, building stages etc. When I was 15 me and two friends were sick of having no money so we came up with the idea that if we bought cheap socks, tea, cookies or other stuff we could knock doors and sell for profit. So I guess I have somewhat of a sales person in me aswell. A dream I have is to work with selling cars/trucks or boats, as its one of my interests I have a fair share of knowlege in that by now

My girl works in healthcare as in assistant to a guy who cant take care if himself due to his mediecal condition and needs help 24/7.

Well, if your girlfriend has schooling for nursing or better yet, a nursing degree, she would get hired in a quick minute making anywhere from $50k and up, depending on her education and experience. Drivers are in demand a lot here. There would be a learning curve due to different laws and practices, but could easily find work. Salesman position..... Well Paul left Maxed Out Marine so.....

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

yz450mm

Reaction score
I've lived in the high desert the majority of my life, and it definitely used to be a different place than it is now. In the past five years, the Tweakers, homeless, heroin addicts, wannabe gangsters, and real gangsters have turned the tide towards making this just another ghetto.

That being said, I have no desire to live in the LA/OC rat race, so I'm looking at something in Oak Hills or Phelan. 2 1/2 to 5 Acres, space to build a huge shop, neighbors far enough away that everybody can live their own life. I have a business and a daughter in California, so no Quick Escape for me.

Sometimes I wish I was more of a people person, and I would sell everything and move to Newport or Huntington with just my beach cruiser and a smile.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Everyone’s opinion of the best place to live is different. We had to look through the vacation blues and try and see what life would really be like if we made the move to where we thought we wanted to be (Havasu).

I’m tied to the State of California as they pay my salary, so our move options were limited. Fortunately im able to live out of state and commute across the border. Allows me to keep my CA salary and reap the benefits of cheaper cost of living.

We made the jump, head first, and it’s been the best thing that we have ever done for the family. If you’ve got the chance to make a move, or a change for the better, give it a shot. Worst case you can always go back.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I'm not reading all this now but a read a few.
I went from the West coast to the Midwest here in the U.S., I soon found out it is all paradise if you just learn to travel a little bit and take advantage. I won't live long enough to explore every place on this earth to launch a boat in the water. Certainly making the kiddo transfer schools when she is in the 99% isn't going to help her interests.
My Best friend of 35 years told me 35 years ago, who was told by a very successful happy man years before that, Fu*k with the dick you're given and make the best of it.

boblins

Reaction score
If moving to US was easy, would have done it years ago (probably not California). Getting a job is the easy part - have been offered a few in Havasu without even looking - but obtaining a visa (green card) is a long drawn out process usually measured in years that is fraught with difficulties and many times not successful unless you are already rich, a professional athlete, a politician, or an entertainer. Probably easier to fly to Mexico and cross the border illegally. We just wanted to finish our retirement there and even that has proven to be impossible forcing us to be part of this forums hated snowbirds.

checkrd past

Reaction score
I sure doesnt!

Just a thought.

Its just Califonia

Tank

Reaction score
Definitely not stuck in the wrong place. Just the wrong state maybe. For now, the pains of a state that is horrendously run doesn’t out weigh the quality of life. it’s hard to beat where we live....for now.

my Advise would be if you’re unhappy with where you live...GTFO. You only live once.

1C338807-0508-4AD8-972B-1523EE0161CF.jpeg
4C61D6C4-5A18-4559-BCC4-BE40CD0CFF01.png
020985B1-BE87-476E-824E-2D6CE7C8BE4B.jpeg
AF808C38-E2DE-4E08-B40B-17D67E936C1D.jpeg
D1446A50-71D8-42F1-B575-14ED6FEF10FA.jpeg
71102AEA-5DCC-44AB-8DD0-6A8A691DAB49.jpeg
13B646A6-6FBE-4925-B511-878EBEBA8433.jpeg

Last edited:

Carrera205

Reaction score
You just bought a new boat, shined it up its perfect its beautiful its everything you ever wanted in a boat. On the launch ramp your about to put it in the water and backing in next to you is a brand new DCB M35. Suddenly you notice all your boats imperfections and say wow that is the boat I need and look how much better it is. This is a human condition. We are never satisfied nor are we able to achieve perfection however we strive for the perfect situation our entire life. IF you are unhappy use a pros and cons list and decide exactly why you are unhappy and what a move would do. What factors would change and would these impact you positively or negatively.

WYRD

Reaction score
OP I definitely relate to your post I don't like where Society is headed it doesn't seem to just be related to California. I don't know if it's all the split families or technology and social media but something is definitely off. You see it in the news you see it in TV shows you see it in politics you see it on your streets.

It might be an age thing but my crabby old ass doesn't like it

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
We love Texas.

And we also want a vacay place in Florida, with a boat dock [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
There is truly only one thing in life that you have total control over. That one thing is your happiness. If you wait for someone else to make it come true, you're in for a big disappointment. Never be afraid to make a change. Talk to anyone that is successful, they never sat and waited for something to happen.

Taboma

Reaction score
There is truly only one thing in life that you have total control over. That one thing is your happiness. If you wait for someone else to make it come true, you're in for a big disappointment. Never be afraid to make a change. Talk to anyone that is successful, they never sat and waited for something to happen.

I must admit, when I was younger I welcomed change and We weren't timid about taking risks in search of the Holy Grail.
In that regard, my wife and I have shared an amazing life with many adventures and few regrets.

Now in our so called 'Golden Years' and without the security of a time cushion to unfuck any fuckups, I find my / our courage much more measured.
Finances, with a more limited ability to reacquire has become this cozy security blanket that's guarded ferociously.
Meanwhile, while our Life Clocks are counting down and accelerating as well, we sit at the junction of an imaginary "Y", left or right, left or right ?
The reality is, we can do one or the other but not both, which ever one we choose will be "The Choice", no do-overs.
But alas, we have a 3rd choice, a very comfortable choice, a very easy choice, one that requires almost zero effort and almost no stress.
We live happily ever after at the junction of the "Y" and our only regrets will be, essentially, letting the clock run out instead of chancing one more big play.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Life changes daily. The best laid plans never work out. They come close and you have to fine tune every day. I'm not really clear what you are talking about here? You don't like where you live, running out of money, health problems, live in a bad neighborhood or just what? If you are not happy in your golden years and it's in your means, you need to make a change. That change can be a new hobby, move, join CASA, volunteer at the library, put purpose in your life. Don't sit at home and watch MSNBC.

LGETT

Diving In
Reaction score
I've lived in the high desert the majority of my life, and it definitely used to be a different place than it is now. In the past five years, the Tweakers, homeless, heroin addicts, wannabe gangsters, and real gangsters have turned the tide towards making this just another ghetto.

That being said, I have no desire to live in the LA/OC rat race, so I'm looking at something in Oak Hills or Phelan. 2 1/2 to 5 Acres, space to build a huge shop, neighbors far enough away that everybody can live their own life. I have a business and a daughter in California, so no Quick Escape for me.

Sometimes I wish I was more of a people person, and I would sell everything and move to Newport or Huntington with just my beach cruiser and a smile.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
@yz450mm
Come on over, I'm in Phelan an have a 5acre plot I'd make you a deal on.

Reading this thread and laughing to self....Wife just brought up moving and I'm open to it. Asked her what she ultimately wants in living, after deep thought and a few ideas we determined you end up making trades. We have great climate, open land around us without "on top of you neighbors", lake is only 3hrs away, ocean is 2hrs away, Mountains are in our backyard, school for kids is good, can shoot guns. Well it's not perfect and there are plenty of dirt bags but it answers the questions of Why should we move.

Taboma

Reaction score
Life changes daily. The best laid plans never work out. They come close and you have to fine tune every day. I'm not really clear what you are talking about here? You don't like where you live, running out of money, health problems, live in a bad neighborhood or just what? If you are not happy in your golden years and it's in your means, you need to make a change. That change can be a new hobby, move, join CASA, volunteer at the library, put purpose in your life. Don't sit at home and watch MSNBC.

I realize I was being more metaphorical.
Certainly happy and very active. We can easily live happily ever after, doing exactly what we're doing, along with our already established our retirement plan and place.

I keep very busy, I find it hard to believe I ever had time for a real job.
Two more years before my somewhat younger wife retires and things get more real, decision wise.

A few realities are, decisions seem to weigh so much more, which is causing me to be extremely cautious and yes, somewhat frustrated.
Meanwhile the life clocks keep ticking and accelerating.

It's easiest and more comfortable to change nothing at all, which results in the frustration of knowing that you only live once and did nothing in the bottom of the 4th, but watch the life clock run down.

I watched and followed the adventure of you and yours, Bravo sir, absolutely awesome !!!
I read all these relocation threads on RDP with great interest and have researched the areas where everybody has ventured. What I've mostly learned is, where I do not want to live :p
To leap or not to leap ??? That is the question :D But then as you point out, "Life changes daily" and still two years away from tossing the dart at the map of life. :)

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Certainly happy and very active. We can easily live happily ever after, doing exactly what we're doing, along with our already established our retirement plan and place.

Two more years before my somewhat younger wife retires and things get more real, decision wise.

A few realities are, decisions seem to weigh so much more, which is causing me to be extremely cautious and yes, somewhat frustrated.

It's easiest and more comfortable to change nothing at all, which results in the frustration of knowing that you only live once and did nothing in the bottom of the 4th, but watch the life clock run down.

I watched and followed the adventure of you and yours, Bravo sir, absolutely awesome !!!
I read all these relocation threads on RDP with great interest and have researched the areas where everybody has ventured. What I've mostly learned is, where I do not want to live :p
To leap or not to leap ??? That is the question :D But then as you point out, "Life changes daily" and still two years away from tossing the dart at the map of life. :)

This is good to hear. If you want my opinion, move to somewhere fun and enjoy life. We bought a winter home in a retirement neighborhood. I know people 5 blocks away. Last Christmas we all exchanged cookies, we had 50 plates of cookies. It takes us 4 hours to go grocery store because of all the visiting the goes on in the aisles. I couldn't say that about where I have lived in the pass. New doors are going to open up because it is a new stage in your life. Don't sit outside as a greeter.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score

What about you working for the next 2 years, so that if you do make a leap at something and do not like it you can afford to leap to something else? We rented our house in San Diego for 2 years just in case we didn't like it on the road or thought the rest of the country wasn't for us. Maybe you could rent your place out and then go where you think you want to go and rent a place for a year?

As far as us and our decision to buy was based on buying something below what we could afford. We bought something we think would be easy to sell if we don't like it for some reason.

Taboma

Reaction score
What about you working for the next 2 years, so that if you do make a leap at something and do not like it you can afford to leap to something else? We rented our house in San Diego for 2 years just in case we didn't like it on the road or thought the rest of the country wasn't for us. Maybe you could rent your place out and then go where you think you want to go and rent a place for a year?

As far as us and our decision to buy was based on buying something below what we could afford. We bought something we think would be easy to sell if we don't like it for some reason.

Certainly the renting both on this end and the other, should we find an area that holds potential certainly has merit.
That first suggestion, the one with the "W" word, ummmmm, no :D

nameisbond

Reaction score
I like it here, even though its filled with socialist/liberals. Lots to do. Its the winter that partially sucks. I don't like the cold, but still snow ski. The other drawback, its very expensive to live in or near Vancouver. Partly due to taxes.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
We definitely live in the wrong place. I can’t make near what do now if we were to move. We are somewhat willing to take that hit. The biggest problem is my step daughter. Her dad will fight us tooth and nail.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I think @d4l started a very interesting thread, in a pretty good place for responses. There are a wide variety of inmates. It always amazes me when something like this comes up. There are people from all walks of life. Heavy hitters, low buck ballers, people just starting families and those who are past kids or not having to go to work everyday. I think the answer may be different based on what everyone wants or knows. For years, I couldn't imagine living anywhere but where I did. The money was good, and the weather was great. We could surf in the morning, and ski at night. Go to Disneyland or a Dodger game.

My last house, I only knew my neighbors on either side...here I know almost all of them in a mile radius. They are mostly 10ac lots, but still more than I knew before. Maybe it's because I have more time, or maybe it's something else. I think you should go where you stand the biggest chance of being happy. For some, big cities are great. For others, a place for the money. For yet others, just space or a place to call their own.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
The wife and I have 11 years until my youngest graduates. When that happens we’re packing up and moving to SC or Alabama. I’m tired of living in a state going down the progressive shitter with no end in site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk