WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Do you have a Klein Tools Voltage Tester?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I do and it's recalled due to a shock hazard...

Picture1_118.png

DMF

Reaction score
That explains a lot. I bought 3 of those and none of them work properly.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Ive got one and noticed during recent use the switch was inconsistent ...... Thanks!

Taboma

Reaction score
90% of the population shouldn't be using these anyway. WHY ?
Because most any qualified electrician will CONFIRM the device is functioning properly by testing it on a known good voltage source prior to trusting this device which is known for not always being accurate.
They're a handy tester BUT ---
Bottom line, I have a similar non-contact tester and I will not bet my life on it, I always test it and confirm it's working properly, prior to using it for circuit status.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Because most any qualified electrician will CONFIRM the device is functioning properly by testing it on a known good voltage source prior to trusting this device which is known for not always being accurate.
Bottom line, I have a similar non-contact tester and I will not bet my life on it, I always test it and confirm it's working properly, prior to using it for circuit status.

Um, I have “bet my life” with a fluke :
Best of the best, and yes, I get mine calibrated

Article explaining why:

WhatExit?

Reaction score

I think most people will check their non-contact tester on a circuit they know is live/hot before using it on the circuit to be tested. Most people

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Nope... Mine is just a pain in the ass...
1624123056215348354839.jpg

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
We always use contact voltage testers if you can. Non contact are much less accurate in the low buck model category.

Taboma

Reaction score
I think most people will check their non-contact tester on a circuit they know is live/hot before using it on the circuit to be tested. Most people

I see, so by " Most People" are you referencing a different group of "most people" than the ones who on RDP are regularly accused of being morons ?

Based on my 50 years experience in the trade, I disagree.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
I see, so by " Most People" are you referencing a different group of "most people" than the ones who on RDP are regularly accused of being morons ?

Based on my 50 years experience in the trade, I disagree.

You're right. "Some people" check their voltage tester before using it. The rest are "the ones who on RDP are RIGHTLY accused of being morons"

WhatExit?

Reaction score
I'm just gonna take it back to HD and get a new one

Well, that didn't work. The SKU number is no longer in Home Depot's system and I didn't have my receipt so I'm sending it back to Klein under the recall (they're paying postage).

McKay

Reaction score

If you bet your life on a non contact tester your a moron as well.

Taboma

Reaction score
If you bet your life on a non contact tester your a moron as well.

Started as a sparky in 66', worked it daily until I retired a few years ago.
Along the way, like everybody, I paid a couple of small "Pain" penalties and even singed a couple of hairs early on. Mostly due to my youthful arrogance, overconfidence, and not being cautious when I should.
But you either learn from your mistakes and those of others or you become an OSHA statistic. I'm thankful I learned habits and procedures that served me well and I enjoyed training and providing jobs for so many others that continue in my footsteps, my own son being one of them.

Bugginout

Reaction score
Started as a sparky in 66', worked it daily until I retired a few years ago.
Along the way, like everybody, I paid a couple of small "Pain" penalties and even singed a couple of hairs early on. Mostly due to my youthful arrogance, overconfidence, and not being cautious when I should.
But you either learn from your mistakes and those of others or you become an OSHA statistic. I'm thankful I learned habits and procedures that served me well and I enjoyed training and providing jobs for so many others that continue in my footsteps, my own son being one of them.
Half a 12kv line. Uncomfortable and avoidable. Guy's working for a very large utility got in a hurry and got me!
9871.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
I was in a transformer doing a torque test with their inspector when it happened.

Holy SHIT :eek: We'll that's one ugly ass wound right there and you're damned lucky to still be breathing.
If I'm understanding, somebody from another contractor working upstream energized one leg of the 12KV on you ?

This happened to my buddy, S. Glady, in his late 20's, working in a manhole at the Otay Prison Facility during a planned outage.
Two contractors scheduled outages on two different sections of a 12KV loop system for the same day. Apparently through some fuck up ( Not sure of all the details, went on forever in court) they finished and were able to re-energize while Glady was still splicing, and he paid with his life.

Best of wishes in healing and your recovery. FUCK :mad:

Bugginout

Reaction score
You are understanding correctly. I'm a cable splicer as well. The utility who did it has already admitted to osha that they did not follow lotto. Scheduled two crews on the same day on the same circuit. Fuckin really sucks man. Did a lot of damage internally as well. No one understands how dangerous the job really is. A month in ICU and 2 years later we are still healing! Everyone be careful out there! Life changes in an instant!
4093.jpeg
4093.jpeg
4123.jpeg

Joe mama

Reaction score
You are understanding correctly. I'm a cable splicer as well. The utility who did it has already admitted to osha that they did not follow lotto. Scheduled two crews on the same day on the same circuit. Fuckin really sucks man. Did a lot of damage internally as well. No one understands how dangerous the job really is. A month in ICU and 2 years later we are still healing! Everyone be careful out there! Life changes in an instant! View attachment 1016095 View attachment 1016095 View attachment 1016096
Shit!!!!!! You are one lucky guy to be alive. The way I look at that you should be paid out to the point you won’t have to work again. As for the contractor that energized the line, they are lucky you didn’t get a hold of them. I’m thinking you could have done more damage. Wishing you a full recovery.

Bugginout

Reaction score
Shit!!!!!! You are one lucky guy to be alive. The way I look at that you should be paid out to the point you won’t have to work again. As for the contractor that energized the line, they are lucky you didn’t get a hold of them. I’m thinking you could have done more damage. Wishing you a full recovery.
Told my buddy who was my immediate supervisor before they put me on the helicopter... if he found out who did it...tell them It's my turn to try and kill someone. Still to this day no one has admitted who threw the switch.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
Told my buddy who was my immediate supervisor before they put me on the helicopter... if he found out who did it...tell them It's my turn to try and kill someone. Still to this day no one has admitted who threw the switch.
Glad you are alive. This business is dangerous and I’m grateful everyday my crew goes home safe. Good luck on your continued recovery ⚡🤙

Taboma

Reaction score
You are understanding correctly. I'm a cable splicer as well. The utility who did it has already admitted to osha that they did not follow lotto. Scheduled two crews on the same day on the same circuit. Fuckin really sucks man. Did a lot of damage internally as well. No one understands how dangerous the job really is. A month in ICU and 2 years later we are still healing! Everyone be careful out there! Life changes in an instant! View attachment 1016095 View attachment 1016095 View attachment 1016096

Conflicted as to which " Like " to insert --- so sorry it happened, so happy you survived 👍👍👍

Taboma

Reaction score

This case of blatant negligence on somebody's part isn't in litigation ? I don't mean to pry and of course this isn't any of my business, but damn !!!!!!!!!

Bugginout

Reaction score
It is yes. But fuck the money I want my life back. I worked hard and loved my job and my life. I worked hard and never had my hand out for anything unless I was helping someone up. Life is way different. I would trade any amount of money that comes from this for my life back.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I think I got 2 because the first one didn’t work ( sometimes I’m not the brightest)

Taboma

Reaction score
I'm in heart failure and on anti seizure meds on top of all of it. But all my girls are happy I am here and so am I. Sorry if I sounded like I was ranting. Makes me a little hot under the collar.

I hope you realize I wasn't in any respect, insinuating you'd somehow hit the loto. I'm fully aware no amount is worth what you suffered.

rrrr

Reaction score
This thread has been occupying my mind since Buggingout posted. Like many of us that work the trade, I'm here just out of luck. I'm pleased he is still with us and his kids have their dad.

You're in my prayers, bro.

Taboma

Reaction score
This thread has been occupying my mind since Buggingout posted. Like many of us that work the trade, I'm here just out of luck. I'm pleased he is still with us and his kids have their dad.

Amen brother, you've got that "Luck" part right. That which keeps me far more cautious and humbled today is, I haven't a clue how many, if any, rounds I've got left in my life mag, but it feels mighty light.
I can hear my dear dad's voice, " Son, you're living on borrowed luck now" . :oops:

Bugginout

Reaction score
I hope you realize I wasn't in any respect, insinuating you'd somehow hit the loto. I'm fully aware no amount is worth what you suffered.
No I didn't take it like that man I a apologize if I sounded a little pissed off but I sometimes I am 🤣 I hope they have to pay but there is no amount or price I could put on it. I truly loved working and wrenching and riding motorcycle's etc etc.

Bugginout

Reaction score
I still wrench on my stuff but my hand doesn't work like it used to and some spots trying to get a left hand in...like trying to put your elbow in your ear!

Bugginout

Reaction score

Thank you.

gqchris

Reaction score
I still wrench on my stuff but my hand doesn't work like it used to and some spots trying to get a left hand in...like trying to put your elbow in your ear!

Damn brother! Electricity scares the shit out if me! So glad to see you making it thru this. Hopefully not prying, but you said your heart was affected? Did you go into an arrythmia when it happened? Just curious as I worked on an Ambulance for years and ran a few electricutions that we couldnt get back to a normal rhythm. Always bothered me.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
image-2021-06-21-21:39:10-994.jpg

Well shit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Waters

Reaction score
Damn brother! Electricity scares the shit out if me! So glad to see you making it thru this. Hopefully not prying, but you said your heart was affected? Did you go into an arrythmia when it happened? Just curious as I worked on an Ambulance for years and ran a few electricutions that we couldnt get back to a normal rhythm. Always bothered me.
Only electrocution I went on was a tree trimmer, we didn't even transport

Bugginout

Reaction score
Went into pretty bad afib in the hospital 22 hours they finally got me out of it. I have congestive heart failure now. I've dropped 35 percent off my heart in 2 years. It's damaged.

gqchris

Reaction score
Went into pretty bad afib in the hospital 22 hours they finally got me out of it. I have congestive heart failure now. I've dropped 35 percent off my heart in 2 years. It's damaged.

Yes Afib always seems to be common. Glad they got you out of it eventually. Sorry to hear about the CHF, keep strong sir. Prayers for continued healing.