WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Do you know how to tell what year a mercruiser sterndrive engine is?

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I have my serial number, but can only seem to find a broad range my engine could have been manufactured. I am trying to see if a Vessel view can be installed on my boat to replace my old gauges that don't seem to be working correctly. I have a mercruiser 8.1s HO. It was installed around 2007ish, (I think) but from what I can tell online, I need a 2007 and later motor for the vessel view to work. I have a mobile vessel view now, which only requires the motor to be smartcraft. I think every sterndrive after 2001 was smartcraft. The serial number is 0W393561

Thanks

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have my serial number, but can only seem to find a broad range my engine could have been manufactured. I am trying to see if a Vessel view can be installed on my boat to replace my old gauges that don't seem to be working correctly. I have a mercruiser 8.1s HO. It was installed around 2007ish, (I think) but from what I can tell online, I need a 2007 and later motor for the vessel view to work. I have a mobile vessel view now, which only requires the motor to be smartcraft. I think every sterndrive after 2001 was smartcraft. The serial number is 0W393561

Thanks

Wh are you going to do with the mobile module

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
it's because he said he found his answer.

Pretty much any engine that says smart craft on it or has the newer style 14pin twist-lock engine harness connection is compatible for those who are wondering.

MeCasa16

Reaction score

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I have the mobile deal on my outboard and can’t get it to connect with my phone. Its really frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I have the mobile deal on my outboard and can’t get it to connect with my phone. Its really frustrating.

That's odd. Mine has always connected flawlessly. I wonder if your actual unit has a bluetooth issue. I'm assuming you have tried both re installing the app and using the app on another phone or device. Its such an awesome little tool.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
That's odd. Mine has always connected flawlessly. I wonder if your actual unit has a bluetooth issue. I'm assuming you have tried both re installing the app and using the app on another phone or device. Its such an awesome little tool.

Yeah I guess I will uninstall and start over. I was really excited to try it.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Yeah I guess I will uninstall and start over. I was really excited to try it.

I hope you get it to work, because the amount of information it gives you is pretty awesome. If you cant get it with reinstalling or trying to use the app on someone else's phone, I would consider just sending your unit back and having them send you a new one.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I'll probably sell it.

I just called a merc dealer and had them run the serial number. He told me what parts and cables I needed.

Exactly

i would be interested in it.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
i would be interested in it.

Ok, it will probably be a couple weeks until I get all the pieces to redo the dash on my spectra, but I'll pm you when I do.