WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Does Anyone Have a Dannmar MaxJax Lift in Their Garage?

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
We are redoing the garage this coming winter. Full out with all the cool modern cabinets, lighting, slatwall and flooring like many of you guys have on here. Unfortunately I don't have super high ceilings, but would love a lift. I have been looking at the Dannmar Maxjax. Fits in under 90ins and looks like a good unit.

Does anyone have one of these shorter lifts? What do you think of it?

https://mobiledistributorsupply.com...MIlrGrseCW4QIVdSCtBh1edQFHEAQYAiABEgIKvPD_BwE

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
But does it go high enough to put another car under it?

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
I have had one since they first came out. For the home garage where height is limited, it is a great tool. I have used it to put a full exhaust on the wife’s 05 Vette, a full lift on my 13 Rubicon and numerous maintenance jobs. It is holding up nicely.

I wouldn’t use any 2 post lift to stack cars.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
But does it go high enough to put another car under it?

If you have a GT40. hahahaha. That I don't know as I have not done enough research. I don't think my garage is tall enough to allow that anyways. I don't need to put another car in my garage but just want the convenience to roll under the car on a chair.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
just taking a quick glance at it, do the posts bolt to the ground somehow? i get that is a portable deal, but if the posts dont bolt down, i wouldnt get near that thing.

Reactions: ROZ

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
We are redoing the garage this coming winter. Full out with all the cool modern cabinets, lighting, slatwall and flooring like many of you guys have on here. Unfortunately I don't have super high ceilings, but would love a lift. I have been looking at the Dannmar Maxjax. Fits in under 90ins and looks like a good unit.

https://mobiledistributorsupply.com...MIlrGrseCW4QIVdSCtBh1edQFHEAQYAiABEgIKvPD_BwE

Ive also thought of getting a scissor style lift. It is a little less versatile, but you can just leave it on the floor when not in use.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I have a friend that runs a home type garage with that style. Parks over the top of it when not in use. He makes a decent living with it.

Ive also thought of getting a scissor style lift. It is a little less versatile, but you can just leave it on the floor when not in use.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have a friend that runs a home type garage with that style. Parks over the top of it when not in use. He makes a decent living with it.

Yea my wife could just drive the 4runner right over the thing in the down position without a care in the world.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
To your original question - I have a friend with one. The AC version is a little slow to lift, but he likes it.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Fairly cheap too. Cant really do any trans/driveshaft work on RWD cars...but most everything else...pretty sweet!!

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
So you DID type it in and see the thousands of pictures then? :)

Well I guess if they used by 1000s of people/ techs that are flagging hours, I am sure they get in a rush and are not careful that shit happens. I am the most particular OCD guy in the world. I would definitely be careful if using this. I put my car on jack stands all the time and personally they seem way more sketch to me.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
The max Jax does bolt to the floor using threaded anchors and 5 bolts on each colum. My floor was not a full 4” so I saw cut two 3X3X3’ deep sections and keyed a yard of 6K cement to the existing floor.

The drawback to this smaller lift is the arms don’t have the reach of a full size asymmetrical lift. I have the anchors set optimally for my C-6 Vettes. That distance works well also for my 13 Rubicon but just barely makes the cut for the 02 Jeep.

badluck

Reaction score
F9672AB0-4E0E-4988-865A-DFC86A513DE8.jpeg
I have the single post lift pl6000. I use it for storage mainly. I like it as it is out of the way. Wish it went higher.

badluck

Reaction score
Bend pac stopped making it for awhile. I believe this was the x model.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Having had both 2-post and 4-post hoists, my preference is the 4-post that doesn’t need to be bolted down.

I don’t have any good pictures with actual cars parked above and below, even though I did it every day for a winter so neither my wife nor I had to scrape ice or snow off windows. My only regret is I bought used and didn’t get the XL version which is longer, wider, and raises higher. My Saturn Vue commuter and her Honda Accord could go up or down. The Suburban and Denali have to go up top with my short version, but could go below with the XL.

I do have shots with boats up and down.

CF7F9117-14F2-4802-A1FD-129EAE17A8FF.jpeg

My 23 Daytona above and her Accord below.

4FFB0DA7-3BEC-4111-80A5-B42EEF488AF7.jpeg

Handy for unloading motorcycles out of the back of pickups with the handy insert my buddy and I made.

659B33B9-DBD0-4652-9D4E-6A5368068DAC.jpeg

Good for loading other odd objects onto trailers as well.

D88653FC-ACA0-4D44-9185-475DC2708122.jpeg

My garage ceiling is 11’6”, and I have tubing in the floor for radiant heat, eliminating the possibility of anchoring anything in the floor.

This 4-post doesn’t require anchoring, and actually has a system that utilizes forks with casters that the hoist sets itself on and is mobile.

When I blueprinted the bottom of my boat last year, we wheeled the hoist outside and put everything underneath it and tarped the top and sides for about 6 weeks so I could get all the way around the boat. Once finished, we wheeled it back into its original location. I even did one oil change on each vehicle in the family while it was outside, as well as tire rotation. I added 6000 lb rolling jacks that are air over hydraulic that work great. The largest vehicle I’ve ever serviced on it is my buddy’s 2009 Duramax crew cab. We had to take the wheel stops off the end and if it would’ve had 2” longer wheelbase it wouldn’t have fit, but we did oil change and tire rotation on it, so it’ll do it.

Engine swaps, transmission swaps, brake and axle service, alignments, oil changes and tire rotation is basically what I use it for. I’ve owned it for 6 years now with no issues, and I bought it used off craigslist for $1300, rolling jacks off craigslist for $650. New rolling jacks are expensive compared to the price of the new hoist. New XL 4-posts are in the $2200-$3500 range, air/hydraulic rolling jacks start at about $3500, so if you’re thinking storage only, that saves that expense, but if you have any intention of doing individual axle work you need some form of rolling jack, even if it’s a single hand-pump hydraulic. I did bottle jacks and jack stands, and I won’t ever do that again. Very dangerous.

I can put the Suburban and Denali high enough to stand under them for oil changes. I have to duck to get under, but can stand once in place. I did make the mistake of taking the Suburban up as high as I dared and then lift it with the rolling jacks like a dumbass, and I was rewarded with dents in my ceiling drywall from the roof rack crossbars. Just a visual reminder to never do that again...

Long term the intent is to get another one and my wife’s Corvair can go up on the shorty, with her parking underneath, and put my ‘61 Impala up top of the XL with my Denali underneath.

Hope this helps.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
IMG_20190226_163546810_HDR.jpg

Yes I do. It works great for what I wanted. I have 9 foot ceiling and get full hieght from it. Easy to do oil changes and other work. I am going to put another set of mounts in my driveway also. You unbolt it remove the arms and move it out of the way.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Yours looks identical to mine except mine is parked 180° from yours. I put the pump and lock release on the front closer to the power source.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ok, mercenary mechanic point of view: Scissor jack in floor, for the tire shops...way too limiting.
4 post if you have bridges to unload axles/ hub work
2 post will do most everything but unload a pickup bed (safe as hell if you have half a brain!)
Max Jax are good for most everything homeowner. Trans jack gets goofy, need a 2 stage for mid height, single is too tall.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Two post lift failures are always the same thing. OPERATOR ERROR, not getting the C/G right when picking up a vehicle and heavily unbalancing the lift.

2 Post lift is way more versatile, just don't be an idiot when running one :p

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Well when we move out of this house we will build a custom home and a huge garage. But until then I have to make due unfortunately.

Thanks for all the replies.

Icky

Reaction score

https://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy/SpecialBuyOfTheDay

Dont know anything other then I saw this on the special buy of the day

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I prefer the four post to do any work being underneath a car;)

What do you do when you want top do brakes/suspension stuff?

I'm debating 4 post vs 2 post. I have a 24'x40'x6" thick slab, 12' tall roof at eaves and 15' at ridge so height is not an issue.

I like the 4 post, not just for safety but also because you can move it around if needed.

I like a 2 post as it gives you full access to the underside of the car and the suspension.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
You can get a chassis jack for a 4 post as well.

I'm debating 4 post vs 2 post. I have a 24'x40'x6" thick slab, 12' tall roof at eaves and 15' at ridge so height is not an issue.

I like the 4 post, not just for safety but also because you can move it around if needed.

I like a 2 post as it gives you full access to the underside of the car and the suspension.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
I’d love to have an asymmetrical 2 post 9000lb lift and an XL 4 poster. All of the (best) worlds

spectras only

Reaction score
52958264_608799476233200_6473519985799987200_n.jpg

Lift the wheels off of the ramps with four scissor jacks. Light cars like spec Miata my son and I just finished, didn't bother with lift, put the car on jack stands.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
View attachment 738541

Lift the wheels off of the ramps with four scissor jacks. Light cars like spec Miata my son and I just finished, didn't bother with lift, put the car on jack stands.
You could also hang that thing up with a cherry picker:D:D:D

Jack stands are fine, used them for many years. After a few back surgeries though, it just gets harder to get up from the concrete or creeper. It's not that it's that bad, but more time consuming. Even with the Danmar style not fully extended, rolling around on an office chair is an option.

spectras only

Reaction score
You could also hang that thing up with a cherry picker:D:D:D

Jack stands are fine, used them for many years. After a few back surgeries though, it just gets harder to get up from the concrete or creeper. It's not that it's that bad, but more tim e consuming. Even with the Danmar style not fully extended, rolling around on an office chair is an option.

I do have a Monkeywrench [ my son ] to do the crawling;):D

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I have been looking at this for awhile. I am going to go with a two post when I do make a move. The real issues are I need to retruss a section of the roof for clearance. My shop only has a 10' roof to the trusses, whereas the peak is probably closer to 16 or more. The second issue will be the floor is only 4" I believe meaning I will need to cut a section and set pillers

McKay

Reaction score
I have a 4 post, a 2 post and a scissor. Scissor I recessed the scissor flush in the floor when I built the new garage. Only plan to use that for low sportscars. Here are my opinions. Car storage, 4 post, dont have a lot of room and need ability to roll around 4 post. If you have the room to make permanent than a 2 post all day long. So much easier to work on vehicles without reaching over rails. My 4 post has a pneumatic slider lift if doing wheel work but it is kindof a pain. 2 post eliminates all of that and gives you much more access.