WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Does anyone know of a good shop that still works on 2 strokes?

78Southwind

Reaction score
Update...with a question and carnage pictures

I have a 2002 Sea Doo GTX DI that my Sea Doo mechanic thinks the wrist pin let go. My mechanic doesn't want to work on 2 strokes anymore. The Sea Doo is currently in Chino Hills, CA but I can bring it out to Bullhead or Lake Havasu.

Last edited:

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Circuit Jet sports in Huntington beach. i used him a bunch when i had ski's and a few friends still use him for their older stand ups. just a heads up, i dont know how common it is. but he wont keep your trailer. pulls the ski off the trailer onto one of his stands. threw me for a loop the first time.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Ok, I got my Sea Doo back, here is the carnage.

2002 GTX DI Sea Doo Carnage.jpg

2002 GTX DI Sea Doo Carnage1.jpg

2002 GTX DI Sea Doo Carnage2.jpg

2002 GTX DI Sea Doo Carnage3.jpg

78Southwind

Reaction score
So I tested the Sea Doo and it ran ok but I noticed some oil droplets in the bilge. I sent these pictures to the mechanic and it may of been to small for him to make it out but it looks like the droplets are coming out of some type of return line. What do you guys think, any clue what line that is?

2002 GTX DI Sea Doo Oil1.jpg

2002 GTX DI Sea Doo Oil2.jpg

2002 GTX DI Sea Doo Oil.jpg

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Might be associated with the last engines heart attack. Be sure to figure it out. Check, and top off fluids often.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Might be associated with the last engines heart attack. Be sure to figure it out. Check, and top off fluids often.
That's my fear since the mechanic couldn't give me a good explanation of why the counter balance took out the crank/block with only 52 hours on the ski. Usually, the bearings fail on the counter balance and it ends up taking out the crank and block. But the bearings were in good shape. I found this in a shop manual "Under Air Compressor". Looks like I am going to have to do some more research.

2002 GTX DI Sea Doo Under Air Compressor.png

78Southwind

Reaction score
I found this on another website:
DI's incorporate a small system that may not be well understood. If the air compressor lubrication system is not functioning correctly, you may encounter smoking, fresh clean oil in the PTO throttle body, clean oil spattered on the back of the boat, and sometimes poor top speed.

The oil pump delivers the same amount of oil to the two cylinders, as the air compressor. Naturally the air compressor does not need as much oil so it returns the used, but still clean oil to the oil tank via air pressure that blows-by the compressor rings. The oil tank filler neck separates the oil from the air. The oil drops down through a one-way check valve back into the tank. The air vents back to the PTO throttle body. If the check valve is plugged, broken, or installed backwards, oil and air pressure is delivered to the throttle body and injects into the intake air. This air pressure and oil can cause running problems, smoke, fouled plugs and raw oil droplets on the back of the boat.

2002 GTX DI Sea Doo Oil Tank Venting.png

2002 GTX DI Sea Doo Oil Tank Venting1.png

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Is it possible that line was damaged when they were in there doing the original repair work? That one uncut zip tie doesn’t look factory to me but then again I don’t know for sure. I think I would just replace or splice the line and go have fun, but I understand your concern if it caused the initial problem.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I would start by cleaning everything very well....simple green / let it soak, hose it off...repeat. Then fire it up on the hose and keep a very close eye on things. A piece of toilet paper is an excellent tool for finding small leaks/seepage.

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
Get some 1/4 and 1/8 in. (I know on a Kawi.) fuel and oil line or what ever hose it takes and start replacing everything one at a time, they all start cracking/leaking after 20 years. I use the colored stuff you can see your fluids fill, is it flowing.....thats another question. Disregard if ski is never going to run again, you need a few parts.

Reactions: D19

78Southwind

Reaction score
I probably need to start a new thread to clear up the confusion. The sea doo is back together and running (was it expensive to fix yes but the sea doo was given to me so it is what it is). However, after testing it I have a rich condition (mechanic says they put 3 gallons of pre mix in the fuel tank before I filled it up which could be the cause) and I have a hose that is split (I think this happened pre carnage). The sea doo is in my slip so I need to pull it out of the water and follow the hose but as of now it looks to be the hose (return line) from the compressor to the oil fill hose which goes to the oil tank. I am trying to figure out if this had anything to do with the original carnage of the counterbalance taking out the crank and the block so it doesn't happen again. Why did the hose (return line) split? Old age, check valve clogged? It appears that these DI's are quit different than the old school 2 strokes I am use to.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I Had a DI when they were new. They are actually pretty damn complicated for a two stroke. The info posted above about the air compressor lines is interesting, and I would definitely double check all the lines, fittings and make sure of proper routing. Good news is, your not running too little oil. THAT would have been bad.

Last edited:

77charger

Reaction score
The thing with older 2 strokes is finding a place to work on them. The other is cost involved. I have 2 older 550s and able to do the work myself but don’t recommend them to anyone who is not capable of doing their own stuff on them.

Some buy cheap then find out why. Atleast you got it free so offsets cost.

78Southwind

Reaction score
I Had a DI when they were new. They are actually pretty damn complicated for a two stroke. The info posted above about the air compressor lines is interesting, and I would definitely double check all the lines, fittings and make sure of proper routing. Good news is, your not running too little oil. THAT would have been bad.
Did you ever check the counterbalance oil? In the operators guide it doesn't say anything about checking the CB oil. But in the shop manual it says to check it every 50 hours or annually. There isn't even an explanation of how to check the oil in the shop manual. What i have read is that you can't even get to it without taking the pipe off and using mirrors. When I spoke to my mechanic he said it wasn't designed to check. From my reading it sounds like a lot of these DI's fail due to the counterbalance issues. I am wondering if the CB oil got contaminated and if the return line is somehow related since the hose is split. Those hoses are high pressure lines so it should have been able to take the normal pressure from the compressor.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Did you ever check the counterbalance oil? In the operators guide it doesn't say anything about checking the CB oil. But in the shop manual it says to check it every 50 hours or annually. There isn't even an explanation of how to check the oil in the shop manual. What i have read is that you can't even get to it without taking the pipe off and using mirrors. When I spoke to my mechanic he said it wasn't designed to check. From my reading it sounds like a lot of these DI's fail due to the counterbalance issues. I am wondering if the CB oil got contaminated and if the return line is somehow related since the hose is split. Those hoses are high pressure lines so it should have been able to take the normal pressure from the compressor.

I never even heard of doing that. cB oil. Geez. Yea, those DI motors aren’t like the 2-strokes we grew up with. We got rid of ours after about 2 years. Went to 4 stroke. My guess is, very few people understand them at the dealers. I think your doing it right, read the boards, and keep reading. You will probably know more about them when your done than the majority of mechanics at the shops.

78Southwind

Reaction score
The thing with older 2 strokes is finding a place to work on them. The other is cost involved. I have 2 older 550s and able to do the work myself but don’t recommend them to anyone who is not capable of doing their own stuff on them.

Some buy cheap then find out why. Atleast you got it free so offsets cost.
My old school 1995 GTX 2 stroke is way simpler than this DI 2 stroke.

78Southwind

Reaction score
To update, the rich problem ended up being a bad rectifier. When the voltage is off (to high or to low) weird shit starts to happen. It must have been an intermittent problem since it went away and started to come back at the end of the summer. When it came back it started causing the warning light / maintenance message to come on.

I found a guy on youtube that likes to work on these DI's and he pretty much explained the problem and fixed it with a Chinese rectifier. Sea-Doo wanted $225 for a new rectifier. I usually don't like throwing parts at something but the Chinese rectifier was $25 so I gave it a shot. Sure enough it fixed the problem.

dspracing

Reaction score
I just picked up a DI that I’ll be parting out. If you need any parts, lmk.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Its been a long time since I quit working on skis professionally but I do recall there being a fairly common issue with the oil injected SeaDoos where the oil leaked out of the fitting in the bottom of the oil tanks. However I would do as suggested above first and clean everything thuroughly and confirm its not residual before starting to rip stuff apart

lbhsbz

Reaction score
hoses just go to shit sometimes. My rule now is that if I don't know when it was last replaced....I replace it.

I had a Kawasaki TS that I bought for $300 about 12 years ago....best $300 I ever spent, the fucker just ran and ran, of course...not in much of hurry, but it just ran.

I came up on a Honda Turbo ski a couple years ago so I handed off the TS to a buddy of mine for his daughter to tool around on. They blew it up about 20 minutes into the first day. Oil injection line, which is nice and soft like new over it's entire length...except for about a 1" spot in the middle which was rock hard and cracked.

Asshole had the audacity to bring it back and put it in my driveway. lol

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
hoses just go to shit sometimes. My rule now is that if I don't know when it was last replaced....I replace it.

I had a Kawasaki TS that I bought for $300 about 12 years ago....best $300 I ever spent, the fucker just ran and ran, of course...not in much of hurry, but it just ran.

I came up on a Honda Turbo ski a couple years ago so I handed off the TS to a buddy of mine for his daughter to tool around on. They blew it up about 20 minutes into the first day. Oil injection line, which is nice and soft like new over it's entire length...except for about a 1" spot in the middle which was rock hard and cracked.

Asshole had the audacity to bring it back and put it in my driveway. lol
achiles heel of a kawi 650. thats why most people delete the oil injection