WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Does it bother you

racered

Reaction score
When someone older than say 35 begin their sentences with So... ?
This morning I changed the radio station (NPR) when a well known correspondent did it twice. Her response to the first question asked of her began with "So..." as though the she was explaining "why" rather than "what". I hoped she would only do it once, but no, her second response began with "So..." and I'd had enough and I wasn't going to wait and see how many more times she was going to poke me in the ear. I harrumphed loud enough that my dogs jumped up, I grabbed the remote and changed the channel. Her name (the correspondent) escapes me at the moment and I don't know how old she is, but I believe she is old enough to have had to pick this up from the younger set. I know that children use this word to begin their sentences, but they are children, they have an excuse. It sounds "cool" to them, it is "their" thing. Like "cool" was long ago. No problem there. An adult would have to modify their learned nomenclature to insert the word. It sounds childish to me and it bugs me. A lot of things bug me , this is one thing I can do something about. I can change the channel to the jazz station, cool.
I have the sound of a crescent wrench pounding a corroded battery post embedded in my brain from my childhood days.
It begins with a click sizzle sound, a muffled utterance of "shit!" then the "pop"of hood latch, the creak of hood hinge with ringing of hinge spring, then the loose, metallic, lead heavy "tap tap" of crescent wrench on battery post, the slam drop of a heavy hood followed up with the slamming of car door. Day after day.
I learned at an early age to keep battery terminals corrosion free, and I vowed never to use a crescent wrench to hammer a corroded battery post.
Stupid stuff just bothers me. Only recently have I used a crescent wrench at all. I can still hear that crescent wrench sound but I have mellowed a bit.
Yep, I'm divorced.:)

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I know, right? :D That's one that bugs me.

Also, "I'm not going to lie" as if you normally lie but in this one particular instance you will make an exception and tell the truth!

"Reach out" is another one as in "Can you reach out to the vendor and see when the part will be delivered". My answer is, "no because they are on the East Coast and my arm isn't that long but I'll gladly make a phone call or send an e-mail if you'd like".

milkmoney

Reaction score
I hate the one where they say.

To be honest with you.

I respond back with. What were u going to lie to me.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
I know, right? :D That's one that bugs me.

Also, "I'm not going to lie" as if you normally lie but in this one particular instance you will make an exception and tell the truth!

"Reach out" is another one as in "Can you reach out to the vendor and see when the part will be delivered". My answer is, "no because they are on the East Coast and my arm isn't that long but I'll gladly make a phone call or send an e-mail if you'd like".

I hate the one where they say.

To be honest with you.

I respond back with. What were u going to lie to me.

I always think the same, "Oh up till now you have lied to me":rolleyes

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Like when THEY all come back from a seminar, convention, or a personnel exercise all of a sudden there is the "new word" THEY are dropping like they come up with it.:rolleyes

DrHW

Reaction score
"So..." can be used as like setting a trap, so to speak. ;)

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
I can't stand when someone being interviewed and start off answering a question with "That's a very good question..."

Or any politician that starts a sentence with "Let me be clear..."

TeamGreene

Reaction score
I listen to Jay Mohr on Fox Sports Radio and he was off for a few days a while back so the guy that they had guest host said on national radio that he wanted to "ax" someone a question :yikes Needless to say I changed stations for anyone wasn't taking a meat cleaver to the english language.