WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Does this look right to you??

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
My guys were doing some Asbestos Abatement work in a residential attic yesterday and sent me this picture. I'm no electrician but dam this looks bad. Looks like a fire waiting to happen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201230-193217_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-193217_Gmail.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 478

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I’ve seen worse. House in chino previous owner was growing in the attic. What a nightmare

Taboma

Reaction score
My guys were doing some Asbestos Abatement work in a residential attic yesterday and sent me this picture. I'm no electrician but dam this looks bad. Looks like a fire waiting to happen.

That's a "Touch Plate" low voltage lighting control system. What you're seeing there, along the top row are the low voltage transformers, the row below the relay switches.
What you see exposed on the exterior of that metal enclosure is "Class 2" low voltage wiring, which is inherently protected ( Or safe) due to the nature of the small "Class 2" transformers. That rat's nest of wiring within the enclosure is all 120V and could sure use some cleaning up and be better arranged. At a minimum, that enclosure should have a cover and NOT be wide open. Back in the 60's, those were the fancy Hi-Tech lighting systems. In addition to the low voltage switching, it allowed for "Master" switching, so one push of a button close to your bed (As an example) could turn on all the exterior or interior or any mix of a multitude of lights.
Is it still operational ???

Taboma

Reaction score
We installed quite a few of those Touch Plate systems for the rich and famous. Usually we'd set up a plywood backboard up in the attic, then lace everything in nice and pretty like, with proper labels, to make the inevitable trouble shooting much easier. Those "Reed" switch relays would occasionally require replacing.

Seems Touch Plate is still in business, although I'm sure is all digital now, no idea how available the old relays are, the transformers are common and easily replaced.
If it all still works, massage the wires back into the can, then put a lid on it.
One thing to watch for is mice or rats, you don't want them gnawing on the wires in that enclosure. If they gnaw on the low voltages ones, it shouldn't result in a fire, just loss of lighting control.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
That's a "Touch Plate" low voltage lighting control system. What you're seeing there, along the top row are the low voltage transformers, the row below the relay switches.
What you see exposed on the exterior of that metal enclosure is "Class 2" low voltage wiring, which is inherently protected ( Or safe) due to the nature of the small "Class 2" transformers. That rat's nest of wiring within the enclosure is all 120V and could sure use some cleaning up and be better arranged. At a minimum, that enclosure should have a cover and NOT be wide open. Back in the 60's, those were the fancy Hi-Tech lighting systems. In addition to the low voltage switching, it allowed for "Master" switching, so one push of a button close to your bed (As an example) could turn on all the exterior or interior or any mix of a multitude of lights.
Great explanation, I have never seen that before but I was thinking it looked like low voltage.

There's pig tails everywhere even outside the box. Supposedly it is still operational.

RodnJen

Reaction score

^
This. I have it in my first home. Got a quote to have it removed at a cost of $7,500. It’s been there 70 years, I passed.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I’ve crawled in my fair share of attics in my previous HVAC life. Shit like that is more common than you think.
We're in attics all the time for abatement but this is the 1st time I've seen this.

Maybe they normally have covers and don't look so bad so it never catches the eye.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
We installed quite a few of those Touch Plate systems for the rich and famous. Usually we'd set up a plywood backboard up in the attic, then lace everything in nice and pretty like, with proper labels, to make the inevitable trouble shooting much easier. Those "Reed" switch relays would occasionally require replacing.

Seems Touch Plate is still in business, although I'm sure is all digital now, no idea how available the old relays are, the transformers are common and easily replaced.
If it all still works, massage the wires back into the can, then put a lid on it.
One thing to watch for is mice or rats, you don't want them gnawing on the wires in that enclosure. If they gnaw on the low voltages ones, it shouldn't result in a fire, just loss of lighting control.
I love learning new stuff.

Thanks Toboma.

Taboma

Reaction score
We're in attics all the time for abatement but this is the 1st time I've seen this.

Maybe they normally have covers and don't look so bad so it never catches the eye.

You'd only tend to find this type of system on higher end custom homes. The few I was involved with were all done on very custom exclusive beach homes, so there was money to really make them nice. No doubt many of those were done on a budget, then maintained on an even tighter budget, but some handyman, cousin or buddy "Who knew electrical" and somehow got the lights to come back on. 😖 "Covers, we don't need no stinkin covers" 😂

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Kinda unrelated . . . We have a rental property . . . tenant calls me to say the power is out.
I go over to check it out and I swear every outlet had a power strip plugged into it! There was even one with a power strip plugged into a power strip!
The guy says, "This is all my room-mates SHIT I don't even have a computer". There was every kind of bullshit gadget/ device imaginable! Unbelievable.
So I go out side and one of the circuit-breakers lost its 'Snap' and would slide back and forth. I pulled it and replaced it . . . the thing got so hot it had bubbled on the side. The GFI on the same circuit had popped as well.

After I replaced every circuit breaker on the panel I explained to them, "This house was built in 1968, there were no computers, video games, cell phones etc. . . . the house is even wired with aluminum which is a fire hazard to begin with, you've got way too much crap plugged-in to the walls"!!! . . . . they literally looked at me with a blank stare . . . couldn't comprehend something so basic. I'm gonna go over there and put in a new set of smoke detectors and tell them that I need to protect our investment . . . maybe that'll jar some cobwebs loose in their empty skulls.

I am so sick of where society is headed . . . we're creating a nation of MORONS. (rant over)

Taboma

Reaction score
^
This. I have it in my first home. Got a quote to have it removed at a cost of $7,500. It’s been there 70 years, I passed.

This caused me to look, and I was surprised to see that Touch Plate was still in the business. Although of course all digital now and powered by today's tech.
When you say removed, do you mean back to conventional line voltage switching or converted to modern digital ?

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I love learning new stuff.

Thanks Toboma.
You'd only tend to find this type of system on higher end custom homes. The few I was involved with were all done on very custom exclusive beach homes, so there was money to really make them nice. No doubt many of those were done on a budget, then maintained on an even tighter budget, but some handyman, cousin or buddy "Who knew electrical" and somehow got the lights to come back on. 😖 "Covers, we don't need no stinkin covers" 😂

"renovated" lol

RodnJen

Reaction score
This caused me to look, and I was surprised to see that Touch Plate was still in the business. Although of course all digital now and powered by today's tech.
When you say removed, do you mean back to conventional line voltage switching or converted to modern digital ?

Conventional line voltage switching. Is digital better and/or more cost effective.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Kinda unrelated . . . We have a rental property . . . tenant calls me to say the power is out.
I go over to check it out and I swear every outlet had a power strip plugged into it! There was even one with a power strip plugged into a power strip!
The guy says, "This is all my room-mates SHIT I don't even have a computer". There was every kind of bullshit gadget/ device imaginable! Unbelievable.
So I go out side and one of the circuit-breakers lost its 'Snap' and would slide back and forth. I pulled it and replaced it . . . the thing got so hot it had bubbled on the side. The GFI on the same circuit had popped as well.

After I replaced every circuit breaker on the panel I explained to them, "This house was built in 1968, there were no computers, video games, cell phones etc. . . . the house is even wired with aluminum which is a fire hazard to begin with, you've got way too much crap plugged-in to the walls"!!! . . . . they literally looked at me with a blank stare . . . couldn't comprehend something so basic. I'm gonna go over there and put in a new set of smoke detectors and tell them that I need to protect our investment . . . maybe that'll jar some cobwebs loose in their empty skulls.

I am so sick of where society is headed . . . we're creating a nation of MORONS. (rant over)
Lol rant accepted. I get it.

We had a crew out where I live and thats uncommon. They did some insulation removal and replacement so they run HEPA units and the insulation blower.

Got a call the next day saying the power is out in some areas and can I go take a look. Again not an electrician but I understand the basics.

It's an older lady house who was pretty eccentric. I walk in to take a look... It's like your saying but minus the computer. Every out let used, at least 4 types of freezers and fridges in the living room. Portable AC units and fans everywhere. Took me a few minutes but ended up being the GFCI inside the garage where another old school fridge was plugged into.

I tried to explain why it happened but I didn't have much luck lol.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Lol rant accepted. I get it.

We had a crew out where I live and thats uncommon. They did some insulation removal and replacement so they run HEPA units and the insulation blower.

Got a call the next day saying the power is out in some areas and can I go take a look. Again not an electrician but I understand the basics.

It's an older lady house who was pretty eccentric. I walk in to take a look... It's like your saying but minus the computer. Every out let used, at least 4 types of freezers and fridges in the living room. Portable AC units and fans everywhere. Took me a few minutes but ended up being the GFCI inside the garage where another old school fridge was plugged into.

I tried to explain why it happened but I didn't have much luck lol.

Gawd people are a trip.
The thing that really yanks my chain, is that we charge them AT LEAST $1000/month UNDER market value ! We hate having to change tenants, so by keeping the rent low, they stay for a long time . . . we even pay their fucking water bill so we can water the plants/lawns . . . because they'd never do it.
OK . . . I've de-railed this thread enough . . . sorry. Good info up above by the way.^

Taboma

Reaction score
Conventional line voltage switching. Is digital better and/or more cost effective.

Depends on the home and the owner. Originally, it provided for multiple small pushbutton switching, where several could be easily combined in one cover. Often with indicator lights showing if the circuit was on or off. It also provided for easy multi-station switching, like we'd commonly find with 3 and 4 way line voltage switching, but much more elaborate schemes if desired. One particularly desirable feature was the ability to "Master" switch from one or more stations. As an example, you could have a master adjacent to your bed, if you heard a noise outdoors you could hit the master and turn on all the exterior lighting. Or you could have a master that controlled a series of lights to illuminate your path to the kitchen for that late night snack, or illuminate numerous interior lights again if you heard something.

I have no idea how your system is configured, or cabled, but as long as the low voltage switch wiring is sound, conversion to digital would provide you a very modern hi-tech lighting system, with all the phone or Alexia type controls and the basic backbone is already there.
From the little time I spent on the Touch Plate web site, it appears they're making retro-fit components to replace your switches and relay controls. I have no idea what a conversion would cost and of course it's relative worth depends on your needs and or how much value it adds to the residence relative to the worth of the residence. I know if I had it in my house, I'd certainly explore that vs tossing out the baby with the bath water and scrapping it entirely.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Gawd people are a trip.
The thing that really yanks my chain, is that we charge them AT LEAST $1000/month UNDER market value ! We hate having to change tenants, so by keeping the rent low, they stay for a long time . . . we even pay their fucking water bill so we can water the plants/lawns . . . because they'd never do it.
OK . . . I've de-railed this thread enough . . . sorry. Good info up above by the way.^
Lol frustrating for sure.

Taboma

Reaction score

ALUMINUM :eek: Hopefully the receptacles have been properly pigtailed.
My BIL was living in a rental house down my La Costa that had been wired in aluminum. Called me a "little" concerned because he noticed a receptacle glowing dimly as he went to take a leak the previous night. :eek: 😖

Hope those smoke detectors are in good shape and ready to scream, they've got renters insurance and your homeowner's insurance is current 🥵 😁

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
The crazy part of this: brand new 1st time buyers. They're home inspector apparently told them that they may have Asbestos ducts. So they called a company to take samples (I can't stand the company they used they are greedy as it comes).

The confirm the ducts are Asbestos Air-o-cell. But they also say a 1 SF section is damaged and dropped into the insulation contaminating a section. And recommend what's Called a P-5 Abatement. Basically this requires the sample company to write a $600 plan for an Abatement company to follow to clean it. You also must notify and pay South Coast AQMD $800 for them to review and approve. So basically between the survey, the P-5 plan and AQMD you're into it about $2,000 before you have done any actual work.

I tried to explain that they're are safe ways to fix this DIY that would not cost anywhere near what I need to charge to do the work and he could avoid the P-5 if he diys. But he insisted that we do the work.

So thousands of dollars later he has a 1sf section of Asbestos duct removed and 20 SF of insulation removed.

If the survey company didn't write it as a P-5. We could have abated all the Asbestos ducting for the same price as the 1sf. All because they wanted the extra $600 for the plan. Upcharging the client.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
ALUMINUM :eek: Hopefully the receptacles have been properly pigtailed.
My BIL was living in a rental house down my La Costa that had been wired in aluminum. Called me a "little" concerned because he noticed a receptacle glowing dimly as he went to take a leak the previous night. :eek: 😖

Hope those smoke detectors are in good shape and ready to scream, they've got renters insurance and your homeowner's insurance is current 🥵 😁
Heading to Home Depot today for new Smoke Detectors . . . and yes, we pig-tailed every switch and outlet in the place. When we did it a few years ago after noticing little black smoke stains above some of the receptacles. Sketchy.