WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dogs: Heeler or Border Collie?? Give Me Input.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I am looking for my next dog. I really want to get a Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog). I am a little concerned about the energy level and nipping at people (especially kids). I have also read that some of them really don't like other people outside the family, and some don't like being touched by people outside the family, even when socialized.

I am pretty strict with my dogs when they are puppies, and all my dogs have always been well mannered.

Who has experience with Heelers?

I am also interested in a Border Collie. Who has experience with them?

Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

4Waters

Reaction score
Both my kids got nipped by my dad's neighbors heeler while running and/or riding their bikes. It did barely break the skin but scared my kids more than it hurt them. I watched it happen and knew the dog was just doing what it was supposed to do.

My dad's poor neighbors were freaking out the first time, expecting a lawsuit to the point that they went inside and came out with their homeowners info and the dogs shot records🤣. I laughed said let me see the records, all good no worries. It wasn't an attack and the dog was amazing with the kids in all other situations.

With that said not everyone wil be as understanding as I am so choose carefully.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
My dad had a heeler that used to nip at all of us whenever we were playing, especially jumping into the pool. We were all in our late teens and early 20s at the time. I've had a lot of friends with Border Collies and have never seen that behavior in that breed. That's just been my experience. I hope you like throwing balls and sticks 😂

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Both my kids got nipped by my dad's neighbors heeler while running and/or riding their bikes. It did barely break the skin but scared my kids more than it hurt them. I watched it happen and knew the dog was just doing what it was supposed to do.

My dad's poor neighbors were freaking out the first time, expecting a lawsuit to the point that they went inside and came out with their homeowners info and the dogs shot records🤣. I laughed said let me see the records, all good no worries. It wasn't an attack and the dog was amazing with the kids in all other situations.

With that said not everyone wil be as understanding as I am so choose carefully.

I would like to think it can be trained not to nip. I don't allow my dogs to even put their open mouth on a person, let along a kid. But, I have had mostly Labs. I don't know if it can be trained out of a heeler.

We know a guy that has a heeler, and it is a little shit. BUT, he never reprimands it when it snaps, so he probably never trained it as a puppy. He has it with him everywhere, and it is not my favorite dog. I have been around some that were well trained also.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
They're herding dogs. Cows, sheep, kids, doesn't matter, it's what they do. They need attention more than many other dogs. They need something to do and they're gonna fuck shit up if left home for lengths of time...

NicPaus

Reaction score
My Mom has a half border half Australian cattle dog. She is a great dog.

She previously had a border collie. He was excellent dog.

Also has 1 of my German Shepherds pups. He is a excellent dog. Both are great with the Nieces and Nephews. 9 of them 2-10 ,over there on the regular.

Her mini Australian shepherd bites them all except for 2 of the boys he likes. Can't be trusted and was raised with all the kids.

• Wow
Reactions: DWC

Nordie

Reaction score
Is there a reason why you want one of these two breeds?

Border Collies are some of the smartest dogs you can encounter, but you're going to be dealing with hair everywhere.

Australian cattle dogs are short hair so a little less shedding, but you're going to have to deal with an extremely high energy dog.

I think a lot of people look at what the cool dogs are out there, vs the type of dog that actually fits their home.

There's a ton of great breeds out there that you can appreciate. It really depends on your lifestyle.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I had a Heeler and he was a great dog. He went everywhere with me and loved riding in the sidecar. I took him to sheep herding lessons when he was young and he did quite well. Instructor wanted me to start doing competitions. He did want to herd everything though so had to be careful around kids.

I have a Kelpie/Border Collie now. She is an amazing super sweet dog. Very smart and very fast. I would recommend a Border Collie over the Heeler because of the nipping thing. Heelers tend to herd by biting while Border Collie use their eyes to intimidate the herd. If you search YouTube you'll find tons of videos showing the difference.

Border Collies are extremely smart (many say the smartest dogs) and are working dogs. They love to be challenged and thrive if they have something to do. They make excellent pets too but good to give them something to do like agility training.

IMG_5743.JPG
IMG_2659 (Small).JPG
IMG_7468.JPG
IMG_8845.JPG
IMG_8232 (Small).jpg

Agility competition:

Last edited:

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I had to give our cattle dog away, when A lawyer calls because it bit someone, it's time.

Awesome dog, great at tennis ball / frisbee.... but when it "herds" people, not so great.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Is there a reason why you want one of these two breeds?

Border Collies are some of the smartest dogs you can encounter, but you're going to be dealing with hair everywhere.

Australian cattle dogs are short hair so a little less shedding, but you're going to have to deal with an extremely high energy dog.

I think a lot of people look at what the cool dogs are out there, vs the type of dog that actually fits their home.

There's a ton of great breeds out there that you can appreciate. It really depends on your lifestyle.
I agree. I want a smaller dog, preferably 35-40 lbs, but still durable enough to be out in the outdoors, and run 10-15 miles with the wife, and provide some level of protection when I'm not home.

A nice snuggley pet when your home, but when you lock the door, it turns into a honey badger. 😀😀

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
I love the size and strength of the healers, but the temperament is a challenge for me. Angie pointed out that her Dad had one, and I did not care for the mean little bastard. My Aunt had a collection of them when we were kids. They behaved and loved us kids, but they were mean as phuck if a stranger came near the truck. We had horses, and they fit in nicely in the ranch program. They are great working dogs, but I think they need some work to keep them regular.

I like the idea of a border collie, but I realize they are too much work for me.

The size and durability are precisely what I would want in a dog; I just can't seem to find the right combo that would make me get another pet.

GLWSearch.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Yep. They want to herd. It’s in their dna. Infact, herding dogs are just about the only type of dog that mine do not get along with. Herding dogs “ herd” by showing dominance. Whether it’s cattle, sheep, people or other dogs. It’s what they do So when they show dominance to other dogs, it can be a real issue. Just something to think about if you are normally around a lot of other dogs.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score

I have seen many articles stating that they are the smartest breed. I wouldn't mind having one, but we have to wait until we are settled to get another dog. We discuss the pros and cons of many different breeds; there are so many great ones I don't know how we will choose. We still pine for our labs from time to time also and talk about another one, but I think something a little smaller, or at least a trimmer build, is in our far-off future.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score

I have seen many articles stating that they are the smartest breed. I wouldn't mind having one, but we have to wait until we are settled to get another dog. We discuss the pros and cons of many different breeds; there are so many great ones I don't know how we will choose. We still pine for our labs from time to time also and talk about another one, but I think something a little smaller, or at least a trimmer build, is in our far-off future.
I really like Labs. I want a dog I can take many places. Lifting a 100 lb dog into the truck gets old. LOL. If I could find a 35 lb lab...maybe, but then it can run that far without lots of water.

My wife likes the mini aussies. In fact I have to hear everyday how cute @DaytonaBabe dogs are (with lots of ooos and ahhs, and isn't she just adorable. Oh, look at this pic. Look at this video. I want one. OMG she is so cute. Etc... you get the point. 😂😂)

I would consider an Austrian Sheppard also. I think the mini's are probably too small. And since the are all the rage, they are spendy. I'm not paying a price with a comma in it for a dog. LOL.

HBCraig

Reaction score
My uncle had a heeler. It was a menace and mean. Snapped and bit at everyone and everything. Dint know if it's the breed but his was the devil in fur

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
I would like to think it can be trained not to nip. I don't allow my dogs to even put their open mouth on a person, let along a kid. But, I have had mostly Labs. I don't know if it can be trained out of a heeler.
You can't, its completely ingrained in their DNA.

My daughter and SIL have a few year old mini-blue heeler. Great dog! and loves to herd anything. Incredibly smart. She loves to go on our miles long rides with the horses.
IMG_2944.JPG

My son got a red heeler last July, wife agreed to let him get her. In reality it's me getting another dog as I'm the one always home and taking care of her. Again a great dog, a bit more nipping while herding anything and everything. We're still working on her training, but she is doing great. Incredibly smart as well, and a bit more energy than the mini-blue, it would be great if we had a job for her to do every day.
IMG_6045.jpg

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
I've had 3 Blue Heelers, 1 Red Heeler, and 2 Border Collies. They all need something to do everyday, if you don't keep them occupied they are a handful. It'd be a shame to get them thinking they would just be happy to play in the backyard everyday and maybe do a hike every couple weekends.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Of course I'd suggest an Aussie, but if that isn't what you're into, then I think you should look into a Vizsla. They are 'velcro dogs' and if you're looking for a runner, one of those would be perfect. Right about the size you're looking for as well.

I originally wanted a Vizsla, but Mr.DB likes 'fluffy dogs' 😆

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Of course I'd suggest an Aussie, but if that isn't what you're into, then I think you should look into a Vizsla. They are 'velcro dogs' and if you're looking for a runner, one of those would be perfect. Right about the size you're looking for as well.

Those are cool dogs! I have a friend who has one. They are a good size. They remind me of a red-bone coon hound, which I've also considered, but only the females because they are about 30% smaller than the males.

instagator

Reaction score
I raised my kids with cattle dogs, I have had 4 in about 30 years. I have one now thats 12 years old. Great dogs, never had a problem nipping at the heels,or biting.
They like fetching any thing, I had one raised with my cat every thing was good. Years later i had one kill the family cat when nobody was home, No blood or puncture wounds, That dog was not raised with the cat, thats the only bad thing I can remember.

Attachments

• BB0C3182-04CD-44A7-AFEB-1C4481F56B49.jpeg
    BB0C3182-04CD-44A7-AFEB-1C4481F56B49.jpeg
    562.9 KB · Views: 23

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I am looking for my next dog. I really want to get a Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog). I am a little concerned about the energy level and nipping at people (especially kids). I have also read that some of them really don't like other people outside the family, and some don't like being touched by people outside the family, even when socialized.

I am pretty strict with my dogs when they are puppies, and all my dogs have always been well mannered.

Who has experience with Heelers?

I am also interested in a Border Collie. Who has experience with them?

Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

How about a boarder-heeler🤷🏻‍♂️ boarder collie and blue heeler mix! best dog I have ever had! Just make sure you have the time for them!

20180707_195918.jpg
20180825_192358.jpg
Resized_20200525_192841.jpeg

C-2

Reaction score
We've had Heelers for the past 45+ years, all blue. All of them raised around our horses and other animals. We've had other breeds too, but going forward we will never own anything else except heelers.

I'm pretty sure Norco is the heeler and horse capital of the world. Tons of people from white cowboys to the charros have heelers running alongside them on their rides. Which speaks volumes - these are not leashed dogs. Yet, they follow obediently along along the trails, feet away from traffic, other animals in yards, and they ignore other distractions you find on residential streets.

Have one now, but he was a rescue and has deep-rooted behavioral issues, which I'm sure is why he ended up at a rescue. He's the only dog out of the past 10+ heelers that can't be trusted around the horses. Does fine at home, even with the cats, but only as a single dog. Other dogs stress him out.

I wouldn't say heelers are the most intelligent dog, I equate it more to cunning and sneaky. And very loyal.

Yes, your cats may hate you!

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… girlfriend had an Aussie at her horse ranch in Oklahoma… It spent its days running back-and-forth in about a 30 foot run she had set up for it…

… one day she felt sorry for him and said, why don’t we take him to the marina with us…she talked me into it …we were there about an hour, and the dog nipped a kid who bent down to pet him… Girlfriend assured the people that the dog had all the shots, which was true…
… that was the last time that dog went anywhere with us…

Reactions: DWC

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really like Labs. I want a dog I can take many places. Lifting a 100 lb dog into the truck gets old. LOL. If I could find a 35 lb lab...maybe, but then it can run that far without lots of water.

My wife likes the mini aussies. In fact I have to hear everyday how cute @DaytonaBabe dogs are (with lots of ooos and ahhs, and isn't she just adorable. Oh, look at this pic. Look at this video. I want one. OMG she is so cute. Etc... you get the point. 😂😂)

I would consider an Austrian Sheppard also. I think the mini's are probably too small. And since the are all the rage, they are spendy. I'm not paying a price with a comma in it for a dog. LOL.

The price tag isn't anyone's favorite part, but consider that you are paying for breeding that is designed to help mitigate some of the risks from genetic issues. A backyard breeder may be much cheaper, but in the long run you could be setting yourself up for major vet bills because of a poorly bred dog.

Dunerking

Reaction score
We’ve had 2 blues and 1 red heelers…our favorite dog. As said before they need a purpose/task or they will get bored and find something to do. We raised our 2 kids with them and never had an issue with nipping (maybe just lucky). Would love to get 2 more for our 3 acres but currently have a Staffordshire Terrier and he’s an asshole to any other dog…waiting for him to age out.

cole_skier

Reaction score
We have a boarder collie/ Australian shepherd mix that is the smartest best behaved dog we have ever had. Found out last week she has liver disease and the prognosis is not good. But god do I love this dog.

Attachments

• 5BBD1E0E-DA3B-47FE-B82A-56DD7F4C46BF.jpeg
    5BBD1E0E-DA3B-47FE-B82A-56DD7F4C46BF.jpeg
    588.7 KB · Views: 46

DLC

Reaction score
Ok great thread!

my wife’s like High energy dogs

we currently have a terrorist - Pepper
and
cat-hula cattle dog - Toby

our pack is 4 dogs
Toby
Pepper
junior - mix mut part hound rescue very mellow / timid
bitsi - pug

we have had several Aussies in years past

Toby was a rescue from high desert he had a stubborn side to him and we had to get special training to work thru this.

friends / family was very cautious about him until he hit 8 years old. Never bit / nipped anyone but he would growl….
he is a lap dog now

pepper -
3 year old blue healer got from a breeder in central “Farmland” Ca.
she can run all day! We used a treadmill to exercise her, Nothing Excessive. she would need a rest and then ready to go again! So exercise isn’t the key….
the key is to work their mind / intellect They are very smart and are either

ON
or
OFF

we are currently looking for training for pepper, we had a trainer before Covid then everything shut down …

attitude-
they like to control ! any movement or activity needs to be “ approved “ or “ Controlled “

High energy - calm sleeping to 100 … in 0 seconds the click of my I pad shutting off is GO Time!

they are people dogs, I can handle her no problem and we are good…. but when my wife is home she drops me like a hot microphone!

as a puppy

001310B5-7343-4CD4-AB9C-19DF41EA2570.jpeg

11642254-9CF6-408E-88A9-42A100B69121.jpeg

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Heelers and Collies are both working dogs and are part of where the saying 'the only good dog is a tired dog' comes from.
If you get either; start getting your ass in shape now.😄

Both are prone nipping, so you're going to have to be carefull if you're around lots of people/kids.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
We have a 1.5 year old border/basenji. Smart as all get out and loves people and other dogs.

Looks at you like a human

Crazy problem solving skills. I call her a mini velociraptor the way she looks at things. Opens and closes doors like it’s in her dna. Will not lay and chill on car rides she stands and basically points the furrier are headed for hours.

Great off leash

Hates being left alone and I mean hates it. She is 35 lbs and has destroyed 2 cages escaping as well as my bedroom door and carpet. She would literally do anything to get out and find her people. Border collies are known for having high anxiety. What’s crazy is she will break out of the cage and when we get home has no issues jumping back in the cage and is 100% back to normal when her people are there.

Amazing pain in the ass dog…lol (basenjis are smart and stubborn)

333DA3F1-99DA-43FF-B937-E6B0FD935F4D.jpeg

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score

We wanted a Ridgeback for last dog, but decided against it for multiple reasons. We also looked into vizslas. That is something that would work great, but too many zeros in the price. NO COMMA IN THE PRICE!! 😜😜

counterpart7

Reaction score
DFBD5623-31C4-44BF-BDFB-B00EB69FD38A.jpeg
Wife brought home a Heeler/Border/mutt puppy almost a year ago. He’s been a great dog sofar, but also a pain in the ass… Super smart, very energetic, extremely clumsy lol. Haven’t seen him nip much(wants to gnaw on hands if you don’t have a toy but we’ve just about nipped that), has gotten along with most dogs and has been good with kids so far!

Keep them busy and tire them out, and they’ll be great dogs. Stock up on tennis balls now…

Attachments

• EE27D865-B2AF-47AC-A53B-15A2154D94F9.jpeg
    EE27D865-B2AF-47AC-A53B-15A2154D94F9.jpeg
    813.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 5041DE75-A16B-4613-9B94-F9A453EF3373.jpeg
    5041DE75-A16B-4613-9B94-F9A453EF3373.jpeg
    763.6 KB · Views: 15

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
Building a great dog is a lot of work, you get back what you put in. I prefer to start with a well bred pup, I look for genetics and then the right demeanor. We have an Aussie that is an amazingly good dog, can be as high drive as they come but can turn him off and he will chill on the couch for hours/days. It’s a full time job for the first couple years, you need to take them with you everywhere and socialize them in every capacity. My dog is better off leash than on, I know people see that and think oh I want one of those dogs because that one is rad. They don’t come that way, you have to build them.

I believe any breed can be either good or bad, and that comes back to the owners ability to work with them. Any of these intelligent high drive working breeds need an engaged master, all day, everyday. My Aussie is like having a 3-4 year old kid around. Most days we walk about 3 miles, that keeps him super chill, like a marshmallow 😂
60E79B50-1368-4A77-AD65-D0F832650EBC.jpeg

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
We have a 1.5 year old border/basenji. Smart as all get out and loves people and other dogs.

Looks at you like a human

Crazy problem solving skills. I call her a mini velociraptor the way she looks at things. Opens and closes doors like it’s in her dna. Will not lay and chill on car rides she stands and basically points the furrier are headed for hours.

Great off leash

Hates being left alone and I mean hates it. She is 35 lbs and has destroyed 2 cages escaping as well as my bedroom door and carpet. She would literally do anything to get out and find her people. Border collies are known for having high anxiety. What’s crazy is she will break out of the cage and when we get home has no issues jumping back in the cage and is 100% back to normal when her people are there.

Amazing pain in the ass dog…lol (basenjis are smart and stubborn)

View attachment 1196902

I am very concerned about separation anxiety. I had a rescue dog, lab whippet mix, that had many problems from being abused. Separation anxiety being one of them. She was such a sweet dog, but too much of a pain in the ass. This was pre-kids, so I we were'nt home as much. I re-housed her with a retired lady that was able to spend a lot more time with her.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Boarder Collie will run all day. Great dogs. VERY smart.

I have a friend with a McCallum Boarder Collie. SUPER high energy, but man that dog is awesome. 👍🏼👍🏼

Look into em and see what you think.

20220921_185237.jpg

Reddy Too

Reaction score
Family member came home with a dog. Swears it’s a Golden Retriever. I think its a Duck Tolling Retriever. This is a stock picture below and is identical. Perhaps this breed work.

1675750066854.jpeg

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I just put down my Border Collie at 15 years old. He was an amazing dog and I will miss him forever. Border Collies are very smart and energetic, they need something to do constantly. Not known for affection tho, yet my guy was a little bit. They need to run a lot and need a big yard. My dog absolutely hated water or being on the boat, just the opposite of my Golden Retriever.

Lumpy

Reaction score
Why not a Border Collie/ Queensland? I had one...Dottie was probably the smartest dog I ever had. She nipped my 5 year olds ankles in the beginning but I was able to break her of that very easily. The Queensland is fearless, the Border Collie is all brains...the combination of the two is unbeatable.
IMG_6543.JPG

Last edited:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I am very concerned about separation anxiety. I had a rescue dog, lab whippet mix, that had many problems from being abused. Separation anxiety being one of them. She was such a sweet dog, but too much of a pain in the ass. This was pre-kids, so I we were'nt home as much. I re-housed her with a retired lady that was able to spend a lot more time with her.
Luckily we both work from home but honestly I wouldn’t feel comfortable leaving her for more than a couple hours. We now have a crate that is solid metal bars (Alcatraz) so it doesn’t worry me as much she would injure herself escaping.

The dog can tell when you are dressing to leave vs dressing to stay at home. Forget it if she hears any kind of key jingle.

Smart loving dog. Makes my high energy athletic Boston terrier seem like a couch potato….lol

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I grew up with a German Short Haired Pointer and loved that dog. Outdoor dog with no boundaries and he would follow me where ever I would go be it hunting, fishing, on my bike, etc. Best dog I ever had.