WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dogs: Heeler or Border Collie?? Give Me Input.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I bought a Impact dog crate for the river pad. For my Shepherd. After 2 other crates destroyed. She is fine in the crate at the house. But doesn't want to be left alone at the river. Like she is missing out. Can't keep her out of the water. Had to go in twice new years weekend to get her out.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
If I could find a 35 lb lab...
This is why we have Australian Labradoodles. But if you like Retrievers specifically, look into a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Yes a mouthful, but most just call them Tollers.

licensed-image

calkid

Reaction score
Aussies are great for working but can be nippers. We've had them, Border Collies and a few German Shorthairs and they've all been good dogs. It really depends on if you want something with lots of energy or a little more mellow. Our current dog is a English Shepard, very laid back and gentle but protective.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
We've had 2 Aussie Shepherds, but never a Heeler or Border Collie.
Have friends with them and they seem pretty cool.
The one thing that absolutely SUCKS ASS about Aussies is how much they shed . . . it's ridiculous, especially in the late spring / late fall.
Their fur is theeeeeee worst, it's so light that it flies everywhere and gets into everything and sticks.
I won't let ours in my truck cab (rides in the back under the shell) . . . the hair is so fine that it sticks to the upholstery and even a shop vac won't get it all unstuck.
I'm sure I've got a pound of that shit in my lungs.
I think the Heelers hair is heavier and at least falls to the ground, which would be nice.

'Halo' the other day . . .
DSC09915.JPG

Last edited:

nameisbond

Reaction score
I like big dogs. The friendliest dogs at the dog park are Bernese Mountain Dogs. I'm thinking about getting one to keep Bella the Rottweiler company.

badgas

Reaction score
This is why we have Australian Labradoodles. But if you like Retrievers specifically, look into a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Yes a mouthful, but most just call them Tollers.

licensed-image
I have been Lab owner most of my adult life.

My next dog will 100% be an Australian Labradoodle. They are best tempered dog I have ever been around. My current lab is 98 lbs and I need something smaller that does not shed.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I have been Lab owner most of my adult life.

My next dog will 100% be an Australian Labradoodle. They are best tempered dog I have ever been around.
We are 100% the same. My wife even bred Labs and we're sold, hook, line and sinker on ALDs. The "Australian" part matters as well. Sounds pretentious, but we are totally convinced. These are a well managed breed, no AKC, but managed as well or better than any breed I've been associated with. Our first one was a "working" stud until he turned 6 this year. We got one of his puppies. They are simply the best.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
I agree. I want a smaller dog, preferably 35-40 lbs, but still durable enough to be out in the outdoors, and run 10-15 miles with the wife, and provide some level of protection when I'm not home.

A nice snuggley pet when your home, but when you lock the door, it turns into a honey badger. 😀😀

You just described the average pit bull.

Although running with your wife other people will think the demon dog is going to eat them and that sucks for the dog,,,

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Unless you have property forget about those healers. I have a nice couple of scars and stitch marks from my neighbors dog. Known this dog its whole life, and he has been high energy and quite frankly a pain in the ass. He nipped me a couple of times in the past, nipped a guy riding a Harley down the street once and finally got me good.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
We are 100% the same. My wife even bred Labs and we're sold, hook, line and sinker on ALDs. The "Australian" part matters as well. Sounds pretentious, but we are totally convinced. These are a well managed breed, no AKC, but managed as well or better than any breed I've been associated with. Our first one was a "working" stud until he turned 6 this year. We got one of his puppies. They are simply the best.
That dog checks a lot of boxes...but I don't want a dog that looks like a stuffed animal.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
Hands down the GSP is the most of everything you could ask of a dog, tremendously loyal, athletic beyond imagination. they are not however great guard dogs, he's big, fast and active, so he gives the impression he might kick your ass, but in the end he just wants to play.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
That dog checks a lot of boxes...but I don't want a dog that looks like a stuffed animal.
And comes with an ungodly grooming bill. That's why I suggested the Toller:

cfdafa4dc6aab40eae1c5315c02b9339.jpg

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I like big dogs. The friendliest dogs at the dog park are Bernese Mountain Dogs. I'm thinking about getting one to keep Bella the Rottweiler company.
I love bernese mountain dogs, and great pyrenees, but too big to haul around everywhere.

Maybe I should just say F it and get one, or a Cane Corso. LOL

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
I love bernese mountain dogs, and great pyrenees, but too big to haul around everywhere.

Maybe I should just say F it and get one, or a Cane Corso. LOL
We have a few Great Pyrenees around us. Good BIG dogs that let predators know to stay away(cue incessant barking thruout the night). A couple of them come pay us a visit from time to time. I wasn't sure how they would handle the heeler nipping at them, but they tolerate her.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Go to a shelter and find a chill mutt in the size and temperament range you're looking for?
I have no problem with that. But, my last Shelter pet was a disaster. Not really a disaster, but not good. She reeled me in with her sweet eyes. I ended up having to re-home her.

King P.V.

Reaction score
I have a 4 year old red heeler/Aussie Cattle Dog . A little taller and a longer snout . Very good looking, intelligent family pet. Loves playing g with my granddaughters and running for the chuck-it ball . Has almost nipped at heels but really just gets excited playing. If i have one complaint it's her high pitched bark when we leave her or when it's time to go to bed. Drives our ears crazy. She goes crazy for "squirrels" and climbs trees looking for them. . She'll jump about 8 feet into the air or into any tree nearby . She barks at strangers but...never attacks. Give her 10 seconds and she's your best friend . I only wish I had the resources to do the agility courses. She's fast as shi!t!!

King P.V.

Reaction score
I have a 4 year old red heeler/Aussie Cattle Dog . A little taller and a longer snout . Very good looking, intelligent family pet. Loves playing g with my granddaughters and running for the chuck-it ball . Has almost nipped at heels but really just gets excited playing. If i have one complaint it's her high pitched bark when we leave her or when it's time to go to bed. Drives our ears crazy. She goes crazy for "squirrels" and climbs trees looking for them. . She'll jump about 8 feet into the air or into any tree nearby . She barks at strangers but...never attacks. Give her 10 seconds and she's your best friend . I only wish I had the resources to do the agility courses. She's fast as shi!t!!

Ruby is her name and she's a beautiful. My brother is moving up from Cali to Moses Lake, next year. He's getting a Red Heeler and can't wait. .

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Super loyal dogs. Stubborn as shit though. They require alot of work as puppies.. our was so bad as a puppy I swear I almost took her to the train station a few times. Glad I didn't.. she turned out to be a great dog!
Snapchat-1962499994.jpg
Snapchat-2075524493.jpg

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
We have an Aussie, now 5 1/2 years old, Blue Merle male. He is not human but as close as a dog could be. Beyond easy to train, just wants to be included in everything

Loves routine, not a big swimmer but will swim if thats what the fam is doing. Truly a family dog for sure. He's a big Aussie at 65 lbs.

The negative is the protector he is plus he's a stalker and silent at that. I have never seen people stop short on our walkway with any Lab we have had. He plays rough also and if my kids were little I would need to train him away from that behavior.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We have an Aussie, now 5 1/2 years old, Blue Merle male. He is not human but as close as a dog could be. Beyond easy to train, just wants to be included in everything

Loves routine, not a big swimmer but will swim if thats what the fam is doing. Truly a family dog for sure. He's a big Aussie at 65 lbs.

The negative is the protector he is plus he's a stalker and silent at that. I have never seen people stop short on our walkway with any Lab we have had. He plays rough also and if my kids were little I would need to train him away from that behavior.

Fuck. I remember when you got that dog. Hard to believe it's been five and a half years already...

😱

dread Pirate

Reaction score
I have no problem with that. But, my last Shelter pet was a disaster. Not really a disaster, but not good. She reeled me in with her sweet eyes. I ended up having to re-home her.

I hear you. Our oldest dog was adopted from a friends sister who couldn't keep her. She's a bitch to other dogs and has started every dog fight I've had to deal with for the last 5 years. We've managed to make it work and she's older now, but my other dogs don't include her in play or anything really.

On another note, out newest addition is a rescue and couldn't be happier. He's an idiot, but full of love and loves his people.

spectra bash

Reaction score
Here’s my Irish setter Willie. He’s about 45 lbs perfect size traveling dog and will run circles around me. Great dog but very high energy. Loves water, does shed. This is him hoping I give him some of my ham Sammy.

Attachments

• 223CED86-7CCA-4F49-BB3D-E5E535F36853.jpeg
    223CED86-7CCA-4F49-BB3D-E5E535F36853.jpeg
    489.9 KB · Views: 26

Sharky

Reaction score
Get a heeler.

If you ever need help backing the boat down the ramp, they will just drag you out of the truck and do it for you.

Heeler will already have the fenders attached, drain plug installed, hold down straps undone, trailer plug disconnected and the winch ready to go.

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
Whichever of the two breeds you decide on (I've had both) do your homework and deal with a reputable breeder that does health testing and will provide parents (hopefully multi-generational) documentation of hips, elbows, patella, hearing (and eyes for ACD's) etc.. If you are going to spend money on a 12-15 year dog you might as well get the best you can and weed out the sketchy brother/sister backyard pair that accidentally hooked up.

1675889876182.png

Here is five YO at #60 and 10 YO at #45.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
We have a 1.5 year old border/basenji. Smart as all get out and loves people and other dogs.

Looks at you like a human

Crazy problem solving skills. I call her a mini velociraptor the way she looks at things. Opens and closes doors like it’s in her dna. Will not lay and chill on car rides she stands and basically points the furrier are headed for hours.

Great off leash

Hates being left alone and I mean hates it. She is 35 lbs and has destroyed 2 cages escaping as well as my bedroom door and carpet. She would literally do anything to get out and find her people. Border collies are known for having high anxiety. What’s crazy is she will break out of the cage and when we get home has no issues jumping back in the cage and is 100% back to normal when her people are there.

Amazing pain in the ass dog…lol (basenjis are smart and stubborn)

View attachment 1196902

Zoey Down!

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
My parents had little shit dogs and I've had a GSP for 10+ years. They're insane unless you get a good one. Always remember one thing about dogs... Some people say they have a great dog and you can watch that dog destroy absolutely everything, snap at people, and shit on the carpet. A "good dog" is subjective.

Guy who gave me my GSP is now a veternarian. He said your GSP is one in a million. They aren't well behaved like that. You got lucky.

Basically, just do your research. Like too much research.

As for Heelers, I've met a few and they nip at me and my GSP. Luckily my GSP is very submissive and won't get into with other dogs unless she's pushed excessively.

I saw this Heeler (maybe a mix?) at Roadrunner north of Phoenix. He wasn't leashed. Just stayed with the truck. He was side-eying the hell outta me, so I didn't get much closer to his property 😂 When people say Heelers are loyal, I believe it. My GSP would stay in the bed of the truck until I went around the corner... then she would be fucking around in the bushes 🤬

51D858DC-35EC-4906-A93C-ED67E57083CD.JPG

sml

Reaction score
My parents had little shit dogs and I've had a GSP for 10+ years. They're insane unless you get a good one. Always remember one thing about dogs... Some people say they have a great dog and you can watch that dog destroy absolutely everything, snap at people, and shit on the carpet. A "good dog" is subjective.

Guy who gave me my GSP is now a veternarian. He said your GSP is one in a million. They aren't well behaved like that. You got lucky.

Basically, just do your research. Like too much research.

As for Heelers, I've met a few and they nip at me and my GSP. Luckily my GSP is very submissive and won't get into with other dogs unless she's pushed excessively.

I saw this Heeler (maybe a mix?) at Roadrunner north of Phoenix. He wasn't leashed. Just stayed with the truck. He was side-eying the hell outta me, so I didn't get much closer to his property 😂 When people say Heelers are loyal, I believe it. My GSP would stay in the bed of the truck until I went around the corner... then she would be fucking around in the bushes 🤬

View attachment 1197437
it is a daily occurrence in Show Low and especially Snowflake to pass ranchers running in to town with the heelers riding on top tool boxes and even on top of the truck cab standing up taking bends like a champ at 45 mph. It is quite impressive.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I would like to think it can be trained not to nip. I don't allow my dogs to even put their open mouth on a person, let along a kid. But, I have had mostly Labs. I don't know if it can be trained out of a heeler.
They herd..its what they do, whether its cattle, goats, small children etc.

The first 10ish years of my life I grew up with bandit, I miss her more than I could write here. She was what she was, and was the best of the best when it comes to a dog. Heelers are NOT dogs for an apartment, small yard etc. When we moved and she had to stay behind on the farm I never understood that until I was a lot older. It made the times I had with her that much better. She lived her last couple years blind and deaf, but she knew the farm and she knew the fence rows so she got around just fine.

Bandit hated chickens and she would kill them any chance she got....only thing that broke her of that was when mom tied a couple to her collar that she killed and let her drag them around a few days. That broke that.

It's 100% not a dog for someone who isn't going to work it, or have it on some land. Otherwise its asking for destructive behavior, and issues you can't just "train out of them." Once R & D are gone (current dogs), and we make our final move to MT, I'll have another, but not before then.

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
I am looking for my next dog. I really want to get a Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog). I am a little concerned about the energy level and nipping at people (especially kids). I have also read that some of them really don't like other people outside the family, and some don't like being touched by people outside the family, even when socialized.

I am pretty strict with my dogs when they are puppies, and all my dogs have always been well mannered.

Who has experience with Heelers?

I am also interested in a Border Collie. Who has experience with them?

Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Have you met Okie? My Dads dog? He’s a heeled/Border Collie Mix. Great dog. Extremely Intelligent. He is ball obsessed. He is super high energy and has crazy nervous energy if he doesn’t get ran every day or two. My Dad spends a lot of time training him, throwing that damn ball to him and just giving him attention. While we love Okie…when he stays at our house he’s disappointed after a few days. We are too busy coming and going to give him what he needs.

So I guess the question is how much time do you have to dedicate to a dog like this?

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Have you met Okie? My Dads dog? He’s a heeled/Border Collie Mix. Great dog. Extremely Intelligent. He is ball obsessed. He is super high energy and has crazy nervous energy if he doesn’t get ran every day or two. My Dad spends a lot of time training him, throwing that damn ball to him and just giving him attention. While we love Okie…when he stays at our house he’s disappointed after a few days. We are too busy coming and going to give him what he needs.

So I guess the question is how much time do you have to dedicate to a dog like this?

Yes, I have met Okie. I like him. He is a ccol dog. He seems laser focused on his ball 95% of the time. LOL.

We have pretty much ruled out a Heeler. Still thinking about a border collie.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Here are my three (look closely), then guess which one is the
72BA6FA0-073B-4A95-9C9C-E6D2C13BB8C8.jpeg
narcissist

LuauLounge

Reaction score
We had lab lab/mixes, great dogs. My wife saw a German Shepard at one of the rescue sites. Went to their gatherings at the local Petsmart and it was going home with her. I was a little leery as he seemed really shy and withdrawn. That lasted about 30 minutes after he realized he had a home. Has any energy level you want him to have. He'll hang out all day or play all day. Loves everyone, dogs, cats, people. We have had him close to 5 years and not one issue.
Before we got him, he was dropped at a shelter, so no back history. Was adopted by a couple, who, after 6 months, returned him due to not bonding with the husband. He is my wife's dog, but doesn't ignore me.
Later on, when he was in foster care, he ran away and they found him living in the back yard of a vacant house.
Wouldn't trade him for the world.
1701489391791.png

DWC

Reaction score
Not like Instagram spies on my feed or anything.