WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dogs/Puppies and boats

HEY YOU

Reaction score
We bought a puppy that is now 3 months old, my questions are is she to young for the heat? What do you guys do to protect your boats interior and gel-coat from the dogs paws?
Image1462152882.332246.jpg

rvrrun

Reaction score
The best thing I have found to protect the boat from our dogs is the kennel down the street.

...and cute pup, congrats.

Tinkerer

Reaction score
We have taken our dogs on the boat since day one when they were puppies, we brought their kennel with us when they weren't house trained.

Chopperman

Reaction score
Good lookin pup!! Best advice is to get em kennel trained. Once that is handled a lot of other stuff will fall into place. As far as being on the boat, kennel training is key!! Loll! I made it so my dog loves his kennel. When he wants a break from people or to relax he goes to his kennel. After that the boat business is easy. He loves the boat, and loves the water. But you gotta get the basics down first.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Good lookin pup!! Best advice is to get em kennel trained. Once that is handled a lot of other stuff will fall into place. As far as being on the boat, kennel training is key!! Loll! I made it so my dog loves his kennel. When he wants a break from people or to relax he goes to his kennel. After that the boat business is easy. He loves the boat, and loves the water. But you gotta get the basics down first.
Good advice right there.:thumbup:

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Cute pup!

We wanted dogs (Labs) to come with us on our trips... and they love it.

In the heat of summer, they are in the water... if not from the shore, we are anchored off at the rock bar. With their life vests on, they know they can float. They will stay in the water and bob up and down :) We just have lots of drinking water for them and they love eating ice.

For the interior... we just have lots of towels down and are always re-adjusting. We do have a few scratches from their claws. Shit happens.

My old Advantage had more damage it from my drunk friends than my pups will ever do.

USMC2010

Reaction score
Our dog hates the pool, likes the lake. We have not had her on the Nordic yet because she will try to drink the lake dry and then "leaks" a lot. She stays home but I am wanting to get her out for an evening cruise soon.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
it's also a good idea to get their nails trimmed right before your trip so their claws don't tear up the upholstery, especially with those razor sharp puppy claws!

HEY YOU

Reaction score
Thanks for the info so far guys.[emoji1417]

TCHB

Reaction score
Our little dog loves going out on the boat and even on the hot days of summer. She stays wet half the time playing in the water.

HST4ME

Reaction score
I kept 3 light colored moving blankets in my boat. My lab ended up ~120 lbs ish of giraffe legged awkwardness, some firm training around the boat taught him pretty quickly "paws off". At the dock he knew where to step and to stay in his seat, the whole back seat. :) It was a work out when was older to get his tired gooney ass back in the boat so the toon got much more use.

Buddy.jpg

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
From her first trip on our boat, our dog was trained that she has "her spot" and that is the only spot that she is allowed to go in the boat. If she isn't in her spot, she is loading or unloading, a process that is the exact same every single time we do it. Now you just put her on the back pad and she goes right to her spot and lays down. She is not allowed to hang out in the boat at all - the only time she is in there is riding to and from. We have sandbars for her to play on all day though, so it does make it easier for us. Having her trained this way not only eliminates possible damage to the boat, but more importantly, makes it safer for her.

She'll be fine in the heat. Just make sure that she is wet and has access to shade if she wants it. When riding in the boat, I always make sure to wet her life jacket down before we leave.

Adorable pup, btw.

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
My Sky never had issues with the boat. I took her at 6 months old and she was great. Always listened never punctured the interior and was a total chick magnet. God I miss her

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I had a "slip cover" made for the hatch and swim step made. Image1462163556.400092.jpg
Then I bought a pontoon and hardly use the boat anymore [emoji35]