WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

dogs siezure........

mobldj

Reaction score
short story is 2 months ago i started fostering a old chcolate lab.hes and old boy,missing teeth,almost deaf.dont see very well but this old guy would follow me around no matter where i went or what i did. it was easy to love him. when i picked him up he had some meds to give,he had a cold,antibiotics and some pills for a siezure that he had the week before i got him.gave him his pills in pbutter. i had to sit with him at every meal or he wouldnt eat. last night i was at my desk and heard him moving around next to me,he was having a siezure.jumped down and held him tight and was talking to him.it lasted 45 min.we loaded him up in the car and headed out to murrieta from moval to the 24 hour vet.i was in back holding him and stroking him.got him on a gurney and in he went.5 min later his old heart ( they think he was around 12,he was found as a stray in pomona ) stopped beating.

i went in and said my goodbyes,that i loved him and would miss him and see him again. rest in peace papa dog.im glad i had 2 months of giving all the love i could give.

anyone thats had a pet with siezures know how tramatic it can be for the pet and the human

thanks for letting me vent........
harry2.jpg

wallnutz

Reaction score
That’s awesome of you to take in that old guy! If I remember right you also adopted an older dog a few years ago. It’s pretty cool that they got to spend their last days of their lives being taken care of enjoying life.🙏👍

D19

Reaction score
Sorry to read this Bill. My Butters (beagle) has seizures too. I found him abandoned in the backyard of a bank repo in 2011. It’s really difficult seeing them go through that. I hope you and Julie are doing ok.

One2go

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss,I've had to do that "say goodbye" deal to 4 labs and walk out. Sucks.my chocolate now is 5 and think about that from time to time. He was lucky to be around you for last run

RCDave

Reaction score
I'm so sorry. Hard to watch a life go that way. Status seizures are brutal

MissHavasuCig

Reaction score
That sucks!! Thank you for giving him your home and heart until his end! He knew he was loved and protected... That’s what matters most! Good job.

C-2

Reaction score
Aww man, sorry to read this. I had to put my old Cow Dog down a year ago due to seizures.

Getting old sucks, even for dogs. :(

Godspeed to your buddy.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Vets prescribe Pheno Barbital.2 dose everyday 12 hr interval.Controls the seizures but ruff on the liver.

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
We're so sorry to hear of your loss. Clea also from Moval would just like to say Rest In Peace my Chocolate Labrador cousin.:(
IMG_1382 (1).PNG

outboardrick

Reaction score
So sorry for your loss, but what an awesome job you did for taking him in and giving him peaceful final days. I really think about doing this but don't know if I could stand the heartache.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
So sorry that you lost your buddy.

We foster failed a dog last June...meaning we kept her. Lol

She tested positive for Valley Fever, so we put her on Fluconazole. A few months later she started having seizures, we decided to try CBD oil first before going the Pheno route due to the liver issues it causes. Seizures can be caused by Valley fever, it attacks bones, brain or blood.

She had one seizure about a week after starting CBD and none since...that we have witnessed. We are using a liquid form that we squirt on a treat each morning. Seems to be working, fingers crossed.

Maizey is on the right.

39592720-9122-4714-A57C-0D8D53D9A50F.jpeg

Last edited:

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Our wonderful Newfoundland experienced seizures. Her vet diagnosed them as Grand Mal Epileptic seizures. The cause was unknown. He said the seizures were terrible to observe, but not fatal. At that time he said there were medications being tried for the condition. But he felt the quantities required due to her very large size, would take a terrible toll on her liver. She lived to 12.5 and it was cancer that took her life. 12 is very long life for a Newf. Typical is 8-10 years. Her seizures were Totally unpredictable. Fortunately she never had one when on the boat or swimming.They’d last about 3 mins. But, that seemed like an eternity when we were observing. All we could to was protect her and keep from hurting herself. She would usually lay on her side and make violent swimming motions with all 4 legs, eyes rolled back and her tongue hanging out. Once the seizure passed she seemed a bit dazed and confused. When she returned to normal we gave her a few large spoonfuls of vanilla ice cream, as suggested by her vet. He felt that helped cool her down and give an immediate boost to her sugar levels which had plummeted with the seizure. Today they are having very good results using CBD for dogs that suffer with this condition. She’s been gone for about 6 years now. But, if she was still with us, we’d definitely look into the CBD oil treatments. She was just a great dog. A few of the inmates her knew her. Very sorry for your loss.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. These threads are always heart wrenching.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Friend of mine lost her long time pup to this a few months ago.

She is still heart broken.

Hats off to you for caring. 👍

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to read of the loss of your sweet pup.... Thank you for letting him experience love in his final days and moments. Rest in peace, angel pup...

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk