WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dolby Atmos

72Hondo

Reaction score
Is anyone running a Atmos setup? How do you like it? Are you running a 5.1.2 or a 7.

I'm looking to upgrade my AV receiver and most come with Atmos now. I figured I might invest in at least some up firing add on Atmos speaks. But don't know if it's worth it. I've head mixed reviews.

To truly hear it, is it mostly for the 20x20 square room or can you get away in an open living room with 15ft ceilings?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
We just had a tour of the Harman facility in Northridge yesterday.

For part of it, we were in a home theater demo room with Dolby Atmos...IMHO you definitely want it.

IMHO any system takes some work to calibrate to a particular room's acoustics, especially one as described with high ceilings.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Atmos is a very cool addition and in a properly setup room with a good track it is an awesome effect.

That said, I don't think it is going to be worth your money for upfiring speakers with a ceiling that high. Any localization of the sound is going to be lost. Is there any way for you to get some in ceiling speakers?

In a living room space with high ceilings I think I would focus on improving the traditional 5.1 or 7.1 that you have in place. What kind of speakers, subs and receiver are you using?

72Hondo

Reaction score
Atmos is a very cool addition and in a properly setup room with a good track it is an awesome effect.

That said, I don't think it is going to be worth your money for upfiring speakers with a ceiling that high. Any localization of the sound is going to be lost. Is there any way for you to get some in ceiling speakers?

In a living room space with high ceilings I think I would focus on improving the traditional 5.1 or 7.1 that you have in place. What kind of speakers, subs and receiver are you using?

That's what I was thinking with the high ceilings.

Current;

Denon 1913
Sub - veloydyne dls 10"
L/R front - SP-FS52
Center - SP- c22
Rears are also the Andrew jones, rears.
Tv is the Vizo M series 65".

Not a high end setup by any means.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Sounds like a solid system for a living room to me[emoji106]

My personal opinion would be that for your set up you would get better bang for your buck with some additional upgrades as opposed to trying to add the atmos height channel.

I would look into adding a second subwoofer and possibly some rear surrounds. Assuming that your surround speakers are placed properly to the left and right of the listening position, adding rear surrounds behind the listening position would get you a lot more bang for your buck. A lot of movies are mixed with a 7.1 surround track whereas very few movies are mixed with an atmos track today. If nothing else, dial-in your 5.1 set up and then add 2 in ceiling height speakers next time you're doing any work in that room. In my opinion a good 5.1 set up beats a mediocre 7.1 or atmos set up

kiwi77

Reaction score
Installing a 7.4.2 system now. Should be done in 3 weeks.

72Hondo

Reaction score
Sounds like a solid system for a living room to me[emoji106]

My personal opinion would be that for your set up you would get better bang for your buck with some additional upgrades as opposed to trying to add the atmos height channel.

I would look into adding a second subwoofer and possibly some rear surrounds. Assuming that your surround speakers are placed properly to the left and right of the listening position, adding rear surrounds behind the listening position would get you a lot more bang for your buck. A lot of movies are mixed with a 7.1 surround track whereas very few movies are mixed with an atmos track today. If nothing else, dial-in your 5.1 set up and then add 2 in ceiling height speakers next time you're doing any work in that room. In my opinion a good 5.1 set up beats a mediocre 7.1 or atmos set up

Isn't a second sub overkill? My current sub is set to -6 or 8db due to how much bass it puts out.

I currently have the rears (bs22) at about ear level right beside the couch on stands. I def want to wall mount them. Do you want them mounted very high pointed down or maybe up a couple feet from the listing point behind you?

This will be a new house for us, move in this weekend actually. So everything will be fresh, install wise.

Any suggestions for AV receiver? Love Denon due to their commitment on SQ. Tried H&K and was not impressed.

Last question, if I decided to try Atmos would the add on speakers work on top of the rears being there that much closer to the rear? Or is it just not going to work?

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Isn't a second sub overkill? My current sub is set to -6 or 8db due to how much bass it puts out.

I currently have the rears (bs22) at about ear level right beside the couch on stands. I def want to wall mount them. Do you want them mounted very high pointed down or maybe up a couple feet from the listing point behind you?

This will be a new house for us, move in this weekend actually. So everything will be fresh, install wise.

Any suggestions for AV receiver? Love Denon due to their commitment on SQ. Tried H&K and was not impressed.

Last question, if I decided to try Atmos would the add on speakers work on top of the rears being there that much closer to the rear? Or is it just not going to work?

A second sub is actually more to level out the response across the entire room and get rid of hotspots more than add additional output.

Your surround speakers should actually be to the left and right of the listening position in a 5.1 set up. You want them to be slightly above ear level ideally.

When I get to a computer I will post couple links.

For the atmos speakers I would place them on top of the fronts. I would hate to get any weird reflections from behind you.

kiwi77

Reaction score
Do you guys do AV systems?

No. I'm doing an upgrade to my home theater. If you want to go Dolby Atmos, I'd recommend finding someone who is experienced with installing and setting up an Atmos system. Most Atmos processors come with room correction software that takes someone who knows how to use it for the best outcome.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
No. I'm doing an upgrade to my home theater. If you want to go Dolby Atmos, I'd recommend finding someone who
Is knowledgeable.

We do residential and commercial AV [emoji106]

There is a place in San Diego called Kiwi Audio. I was wondering if that was you :)

kiwi77

Reaction score
What processor would you recommend? Speakers?

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
What processor would you recommend? Speakers?

I'm a big fan of Marantz for receivers. Something like an Sr6010 would have enough channels to do what you want and should sound great.

For speakers, are you talking ceiling speakers or Atmos modules? For in-ceiling speakers for Atmos, we've been using the SpeakerCraft AIM2 series or the Tannoy CMS speakers depending on the requirements of the room.

72Hondo

Reaction score
A second sub is actually more to level out the response across the entire room and get rid of hotspots more than add additional output.

Your surround speakers should actually be to the left and right of the listening position in a 5.1 set up. You want them to be slightly above ear level ideally.

When I get to a computer I will post couple links.

For the atmos speakers I would place them on top of the fronts. I would hate to get any weird reflections from behind you.

Sorry for the late response, it's been hell moving and pulling wire.

First things first;

I'm worried about the surrounds. The way the couch is set up. Is there a rule of thumb how far they can be from the MLP?

I could always do stands to the left and right of the couch but there's no where to hide the wire.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460584799.488017.jpg

Basically couch sits right in the middle of the room.