WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Domain name...???

240Hallett

Reaction score
How does one go about acquiring a domain name? Lots of info on the internet but we could use a little direction from the smart people here.

kiethco

Reaction score
What Dirtbag said, ez-peee-Z. a few bucks a year, literally. The design tutorial is super easy and as long as the internet remains unregulated you're in the same league as everyone else. There are some things you can do to boost your presence. Don't let anyone tell you they can guarantee you the top billing or top listing in a search engine like Google, they can't, it's impossible. You can easily come up on the first page when someone does a search, that's easy and free.

C-2

Reaction score
You guys are gonna make Joe pop a gasket with all that GoDaddy talk. :p

Is it a personal website (like a club or blog), or for business purposes?

240Hallett

Reaction score
Why was original price $14.99 and then it changed to $.99? Is there a catch? Thanks everybody!

240Hallett

Reaction score
You guys are gonna make Joe pop a gasket with all that GoDaddy talk. :p

Is it a personal website (like a club or blog), or for business purposes?

It's for a new business. We just want to secure the domain name now for a future website.

C-2

Reaction score
.99 for the first year, 14.99 after that, it's not a big deal.

C-2

Reaction score
It's for a new business. We just want to secure the domain name now for a future website.

Try to set it on auto renew until you are absolutely sure you are done with the name.

Otherwise, once you register that name, and then it expires, a bottom feeder will snap it up and then hold it hostage for several hundred, or sometimes several thousands of dollars. Having it set on auto renew stops that mistake from happening.

Having one domain name is easy to manage. Having multiple extensions like .com, .net, .biz, plural versions of the website name (tireservice vs. tireservices) is where it can become costly. Think of those considerations once you know the business is a for sure thing.

And, good luck. :thumbsup

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Whats the best way to snag one that you have an expiration date on?

Spudsbud

Reaction score
GoDaddy +10 !!! 11 years now.
Did it all myself and Im an idiot Pipefitter.....
customer service is 2nd to none.

240Hallett

Reaction score
Sounds like godaddy is way to go so she signed up with them. Thanks for all the input everyone!!
Once again RDP kicks ass!:thumbsup

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Whats the best way to snag one that you have an expiration date on and it is NOT on auto reup?

Reaction score
I second the notion that none of them will get you to the first page however, you can accomplish that yourself if you do the leg work. I have a domain that was trending first page within two months, within 3 months it was the first result on page 1. My domain is a club/event so probably a bit easier to get there than a business...maybe. I'd like to try my method on a competitive business page some day.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
GoDaddy/Network Solutions provide the worst customer service ever.

I've pulled half a dozen clients off of them because they could Never get their problems resolved.

If you are only interested in securing a domain name, use enom. They are the source provider for all the big companies anyway (including me), so you might as well skip the middle man at GoDaddy.

I use a company called Host Dime for all of my clients.

They don't offer individual accounts directly anymore, but you can get one there though me.

Seriously, beware of the so called free template sites like GoDaddy and Wix.

By the time you get All the tools you need, you could be spending hundreds of dollars per year you don't have to!

I've been building sites for over ten years. PM me if you need advice. 😊

traquer

Reaction score
Don't let anyone tell you they can guarantee you the top billing or top listing in a search engine like Google, they can't, it's impossible. You can easily come up on the first page when someone does a search, that's easy and free.

I respectfully disagree :) It's top position or nothing when it comes to search engines and it's certainly doable, but it's a lot of work and costs a lot. If the ROI is there it's great marketing. Anyone who promises great results in 30 days and for $500 is full of crap though LOL

I bought my boat and will be buying a house soon earned entirely from doing SEO work, but I still have a lot to learn. Most of the work is common sense and isn't shady at all. I will post a Q&A and tips section on here soon since I see lots of web-related questions and there are many business owners on here.

Back to the question, Godaddy is fine for simply purchasing domains. Hosting is the most important question. Paging Rivermobster and others who build websites for a living.

C-2

Reaction score
GoDaddy/Network Solutions provide the worst customer service ever.

I've pulled half a dozen clients off of them because they could Never get their problems resolved.

If you are only interested in securing a domain name, use enom. They are the source provider for all the big companies anyway (including me), so you might as well skip the middle man at GoDaddy.

I use a company called Host Dime for all of my clients.

They don't offer individual accounts directly anymore, but you can get one there though me.

Seriously, beware of the so called free template sites like GoDaddy and Wix.

By the time you get All the tools you need, you could be spending hundreds of dollars per year you don't have to!

I've been building sites for over ten years. PM me if you need advice. 

Nah, I'll stick with GoDaddy :eek

240Hallett

Reaction score
So if we purchased the domain name through Go Daddy are we stuck with them when it's time to actually make a website?

C-2

Reaction score
This one isn't that kind of cooperation....lol

Thanks for the info

Then you will have to keep an eye on it. They usually have a redemption period, GoDaddy is 30 days, spme go as long as 90 days.

If the name is attached to a website, then somebody will buy the name in hopes the original owner forgot to renew it. Then, you can buy it from them.

I had the same issue with the plural name website (I needed the same services in addition to service), it took about 5 years of waiting patiently before the owner slipped up and forgot to renew his name.

C-2

Reaction score
Speaking of SEO, I get a decent amount of hits everyday because my keywords/SEO outranks Instagram and several other similar websites (their help pages only, obviously not their entire websites).

That's my website below, not Instagram!

Hah!

2017-03-07_14-11-46.png

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So if we purchased the domain name through Go Daddy are we stuck with them when it's time to actually make a website?
No.

You can have your site hosted anywhere you want.

I sell domain names for sixteen bucks a year with privacy included.

👍