WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Don’t let friends borrow your car

Riverryder

Reaction score
I'd get a few grand from your buddy and get it fixed for cheap (I have a mexican body guy in Fullerton who does good work for the price) and not tell your insurance. Then sell the thing clean title and upgrade yourself to a newer safer cooler commuter.

Isn’t rdp the land of doing only the right thing and that’s it!!!
This sounds so messed up to fix and sell without disclosing?

He doesn’t sound like your friend. I wouldn’t want my insurance knowing any of it. Yes it’s your car. But you weren’t driving. I’m sure you will get flagged for something and rates will be increased. That car isn’t worth the trouble have him pay for new car sign old cars title his issue.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

He doesn’t sound like your friend. I wouldn’t want my insurance knowing any of it. Yes it’s your car. But you weren’t driving. I’m sure you will get flagged for something and rates will be increased. That car isn’t worth the trouble have him pay for new car sign old cars title his issue.

Nothing messed up about it. When you buy a used car (or anything) you buy the problems that come with it. Car was wrecked and fixed.. case closed. People do the same with flipped houses. This is a simple business problem, not a moral one.

Riverryder

Reaction score
@LargeOrangeFont
Must of misunderstood. From 2ff cheetah thread everyone was ready with the pitchforks for selling a boat and not being forthcoming with the issues?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
@LargeOrangeFont
Must of misunderstood. From 2ff cheetah thread everyone was ready with the pitchforks for selling a boat and not being forthcoming with the issues?

When you get a car repaired, the issues are fixed. Totally different situation.

To be honest, you should not buy a used boat without a water test. If you do, you get what you get. There are no warranties on private party used transactions. It is and always has been trust but verify.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'd leave my insurance out of it.

Ask your friend how he intends to make this situation right!

Pay for a body shop to fix?

Buy you a replacement vehicle?

If he's too much of a bitch to man up and take care of it...

Get a couple of estimates and fix it yourself. Most likely it will be a total if you go through your insurance, and you'll probably get more parting it out than you will from the insurance company. (and having your rates go up in the process).

Sucks ass your friend isn't doing all of this for you. 😡

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I'd leave my insurance out of it.

Ask your friend how he intends to make this situation right!

Pay for a body shop to fix?

Buy you a replacement vehicle?

If he's too much of a bitch to man up and take care of it...

Get a couple of estimates and fix it yourself. Most likely it will be a total if you go through your insurance, and you'll probably get more parting it out than you will from the insurance company. (and having your rates go up in the process).

Sucks ass your friend isn't doing all of this for you. 😡

His rates shouldn't go up, he wasn't the driver. My wife (girlfriend at the time) rolled and totaled my truck and my rates didn't move. When I sold insurance we would run driving history and the claim would appear because it is tied to his policy, but would exclude it from rating because he wasn't the driver.

@Cole Trickle is still in the game and can probably provide more current info

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Car is back at my house
8580EBD7-EF92-4131-B0D2-C937B9BAC283.jpeg
F3CFB820-DFD5-4060-93A4-B979D93FAC16.jpeg
FAB1D086-ADCE-40C4-9A63-F2F1FF64C95B.jpeg

Attachments

• 5073A863-1984-4D6F-B163-95474E73ACDB.jpeg
    5073A863-1984-4D6F-B163-95474E73ACDB.jpeg
    480.6 KB · Views: 10

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Yep

you don’t want to know
Let me guess. He said you should of had insurance on it. So since you didn’t it’s your problem.

My wife is an insurance agent. We insure everything. But we didn’t carry full coverage on our commuter bucket.

traquer

Reaction score

Sorry not what I meant, I just know from experience anytime I get a car repaired I'm never quite happy with it after (maybe the light pattern isn't good, especially if they're not OEM lights, or I see a panel missalignment that drives me crazy etc.)

Also I'm not a big fan of these older small cars for daily driving. A friend got in an accident in a similar year civic and got messed up pretty bad. Too many bad drivers around in the early morning and late nights. My dad used to have a pristine 95 Nissan truck with 50k miles I made him sell it, I don't want him rolling that thing or getting in an accident when he goes to work at 4am. No airbags at all and thin A pillars etc.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I guess he asked to borrow your truck since he wrecked the car.
He asked to borrow my truck first. I said nope.
Let me guess. He said you should of had insurance on it. So since you didn’t it’s your problem.

My wife is an insurance agent. We insure everything. But we didn’t carry full coverage on our commuter bucket.
This is kinda where it’s headed.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
"friend" sounds like not a friend, he should make it right

2 things can be true at once and you probably should have had full coverage on it if you weren't prepared to fix or replace it out of pocket

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Lol kinda. He wrecked it. Let me know. Called his insurance. They said not our problem, so then now it’s my problem.
Um, no.
It went from being his insurance companies problem to being HIS problem but you're absolving him of that for some reason.
The upside here is you now know exactly how much your "friend" valued you. Actually could be even less but let's give him a little slack.
The sheer disrespect is mind boggling but then again, you're allowing it.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Um, no.
It went from being his insurance companies problem to being HIS problem but you're absolving him of that for some reason.
The upside here is you now know exactly how much your "friend" valued you. Actually could be even less but let's give him a little slack.
The sheer disrespect is mind boggling but then again, you're allowing it.
Curious how i am allowing it? Car is at my house. Since his insurance company won’t even look at it and I don’t have collision coverage. It’s out of pocket. He goes back to KY in a few days. Still his problem from a money perspective however I have to deal with the car body shop collecting ect… I’m not allowing anything at least in my eyes

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
"friend" sounds like not a friend, he should make it right

2 things can be true at once and you probably should have had full coverage on it if you weren't prepared to fix or replace it out of pocket
This is true. But if I crashed I have no one to blame but myself. I havnt crashed a car since high school almost 20 years ago. Wasn’t even thinking he was gonna crash it. Yet alone not really handle it

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Curious how i am allowing it? Car is at my house. Since his insurance company won’t even look at it and I don’t have collision coverage. It’s out of pocket. He goes back to KY in a few days. Still his problem from a money perspective however I have to deal with the car body shop collecting ect… I’m not allowing anything at least in my eyes

Because he hasn’t bought you a new car already, you are allowing him to fuck you and the situation is beyond repairable by RDP standards.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Tell him let me know when it’s fixed and hurry i might need a rental 😎😎

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Friend is now suggesting a home garage mechanic he knows work on the car to save cost. Mentioned to me only has about 1000$ if that to “help” pay for it

I’m taking it in for a quote tomorrow. (To a real body shop)

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Friend is now suggesting a home garage mechanic he knows work on the car to save cost. Mentioned to me only has about 1000$ if that to “help” pay for it

I’m taking it in for a quote tomorrow. (To a real body shop)
Not a very good friend 🤬

DLC

Reaction score
What does he drive in Ky?

I think I’ll be making a trip to Ky to get his car or truck or tell him to give ya 5 grand so you can go get another free car

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
What does he drive in Ky?

I think I’ll be making a trip to Ky to get his car or truck or tell him to give ya 5 grand so you can go get another free car
2015 platinum f250

DLC

Reaction score
The truth is your buddy is a piece of shit and you won’t be seeing him again …. well not for a really really long time!

once he leaves your done and you won’t be getting anything else from him!!

head over to family fun used cars! And pick out which one ya want on his dime! The fuel tires and wear/tear your paying to drive your truck is going to eat any savings that the shade tree mechanic is going to save him….

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
Great thread, thanks for the insight. Sometimes you forget the details of the consequences of loaning things to a person that they can not replace and the hell it can cause.

traquer

Reaction score
Great thread, thanks for the insight. Sometimes you forget the details of the consequences of loaning things to a person that they can not replace and the hell it can cause.
He can pay for it, he just doesn't want to. Once he leaves town you won't hear from him again.

Time to be friendly but pissed off at the same time in these situations to make them get the point

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So many ASSumptions, so little time!

Hope he comes through in the end. 👍🏼