WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Don’t let friends borrow your car

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Sucks…

If you don’t have collision on the car you are going to eat it. His accident won’t effect your coverage so if you have collision turn it in and make him pay the deductible.

his policy won’t pay to fix someone else’s car unfortunately as insurance follows the car when it comes to collision.

I’m guessing if he had to borrow an old car he doesn’t have the 5k cash to replace it. I have seen a bunch of friendships end over deals like this.

One2go

Reaction score
This him ?
IMG_0122.JPG

2Driver

Reaction score
in most states Insurance follows the car not the driver. Remember that when you loan out anything with insurance on it as its going to affect your insurance rating not the other driver. If OP doesnt have collision coverage then he can check to see if the other driver can use his insurance for collision as a non owned car under that drivers policy. but if OP has collision coverage he's SOL and drivers policy will not come into play unless for some unknown reason excess insurance is needed but rarely happens on a property damage only claim

Thats what I was trying to say, didn't come across right i guess.

arch stanton

Reaction score
if anyone asks to use my car i tell them to rent one when they say they can’t afford to rent i tell them i can’t afford to lend it, hell today just Uber where you need to go i would pay for the Uber before i will hand over the keys,but i see your problem to much history i have to loan stuff to my brothers but they have way more than me and can afford to fix a mistake

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Your comment about him being a 20 year friend and the history of crashes....... yep you screwed up.... but you were helping a friend. All depends on how HE handles it from this point. I would have loaned it, and he would still (likely) be my friend no matter. BUT.... it could put any more loaning in severe jeopardy.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Your comment about him being a 20 year friend and the history of crashes....... yep you screwed up.... but you were helping a friend. All depends on how HE handles it from this point. I would have loaned it, and he would still (likely) be my friend no matter. BUT.... it could put any more loaning in severe jeopardy.
Yep, I’m waiting to see what happens here. He lives in KY too.

4Waters

Reaction score
When the VTECH kicks in hold on!
My 91 mustang had variable cam timing, over 300k on the clock when I bought it and it had a tick coming from the timing cover, when I pulled the motor I took the timing cover off to see if my suspicions were correct. They were, you could see where the chain was hitting the cover😳🤣🤣

overdue

STARTING OVER
Reaction score
Your friend lives in KY and was driving on Ramona Express Way ?,,,,,, do they not sell crack in OC ?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I wonder at what point ya Just get a different Honda?

Reactions: RP1

sirbob

Reaction score
I know some here have stated that his ins. won't pay...

I rented a motor home once and while we were parked an uninsured motorist crashed into it (or put another way, a kid driving over his head on a dirt bike). My ins. payed for the damage even though I did own it. It was owned by a private owner and was being rented out but a company.

Isn't that the same as his ins. covering the car he was driving that was not owned by him? Or how about when you rent a car - my ins agent always told me don't pay the ins. from the real company, your covered if there is an issue on your own policy?

sirbob

Reaction score
I don't know the year of yours but agreeing with others here - the quick answer may be to just have hime buy you another one (then give him yours to do what he wants with it).

Yours does look newer than these but... Similar body style values...

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 2.37.14 PM.png

Or if you really want to get nuts - here is a 30k mile go car that sold for $5500

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 2.37.58 PM.png

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Mine is a 2003, with 200k miles on it. Was in fantastic shape inside and out

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Day 2 and we still havnt got anywhere on this. Car in still in east county SD. I live in Anaheim. Adjuster has not emailed or called back despite several attempts (from what I hearing, 2nd hand knowledge)

I’m about to call my insurance and they can sort it out between insurances. (Hopefully) idk what to do or how long to wait?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Day 2 and we still havnt got anywhere on this. Car in still in east county SD. I live in Anaheim. Adjuster has not emailed or called back despite several attempts (from what I hearing, 2nd hand knowledge)

I’m about to call my insurance and they can sort it out between insurances. (Hopefully) idk what to do or how long to wait?

Does it drive?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I know some here have stated that his ins. won't pay...

I rented a motor home once and while we were parked an uninsured motorist crashed into it (or put another way, a kid driving over his head on a dirt bike). My ins. payed for the damage even though I did own it. It was owned by a private owner and was being rented out but a company.

Isn't that the same as his ins. covering the car he was driving that was not owned by him? Or how about when you rent a car - my ins agent always told me don't pay the ins. from the real company, your covered if there is an issue on your own policy?

different situation....

You have coverage that transfers over to rent a car from a licensed rental agency.

Motorhomes/trailers,moving vans are typically excluded by most insurance carriers. (some do cover it and some allow you to add it for a fee per day)

If he has collision on the car his company will pay it. His buddies carrier isn't going to cover the car.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score

So you can take it to anywhere you want to get it fixed and its in San Diego. My recommendation is to take it to BMW of Encinitas. I'm very picky and have taken every car I have had body issues with in the last 5 years to. They only do it right. It will come out amazing. I've tried quite a few other places and would never return.

cakemoto

Reaction score
So you can take it to anywhere you want to get it fixed and its in San Diego. My recommendation is to take it to BMW of Encinitas. I'm very picky and have taken every car I have had body issues with in the last 5 years to. They only do it right. It will come out amazing. I've tried quite a few other places and would never return.
Dude it’s a $2500 car. I can only imagine what you are paying.

J&k beer can

Reaction score
It's done.
Can it be fixed yes.
Will insurance pay to have it fixed NO.
I have a few different friends that own body shops In San diego..
If you need help
I'm free today.
send me pm.
I'm busy Thursday to Sunday goodguys show..

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Day 3 update.
As mentioned his insurance won’t cover it since it’s not on his policy. So now I am scratching my head on what to do?
Car is in East county SD. I live in Anaheim and work in vista area. Do I have the car towed to a shop down there? Or to my house then to a shop here?

next is, do I call my insurance or go all out of pocket and send my friend the bill? Get an estimate first? I’m kinda stuck on what to do here?

Bear Down

Reaction score
Day 3 update.
As mentioned his insurance won’t cover it since it’s not on his policy. So now I am scratching my head on what to do?
Car is in East county SD. I live in Anaheim and work in vista area. Do I have the car towed to a shop down there? Or to my house then to a shop here?

next is, do I call my insurance or go all out of pocket and send my friend the bill? Get an estimate first? I’m kinda stuck on what to do here?
If you go through insurance...I would assume they would try to recoup the monies from his insurance policy or himself since he is identified. Just don't shoot yourself in the foot twice and get it fixed, pay for it and wait for him to pay you back. get an estimate from somewhere you are comfy with, get the money from him 1st and fix and have a few beers. If he doesn't have the money or all of it...determine the loss and if its worth dumping your buddy for (which doesn't seem it would). I'd avoid a claim against my policy for a car like that.

DLC

Reaction score
I have my flat bed trailer in Escondido you can rent and sign a rental contract after deposit has cleared!

Does the car drive?

I would
Go down and pic it up and get it close to your house. Then you can mess with it on your time

Lower river sludge

Reaction score
If you don't have collision on it your insurance is not going to fix it, calling them isn't going to do much. It's going to be between you and your buddy

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Day 3 update.

1) no collision coverage for car on your policy. If yes, ask buddy to pay deductible.
2) if no collisionthen, ask buddy to pay for repairs.
3) if 1 & 2 are a no go, decide whether to fix on your own dime.
4) tow vehicle to shop near your home or sell it where it sits.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Day 3 update.

If you have collision, file it through your insurance. That's what you have it for. Most policies have permissive use clauses which allow you to let other people not on the policy drive the car and have coverage. Since you weren't driving, it won't affect your driving record and shouldn't affect your rates.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Day 3 update.

Why are you dealing with any of this? Did he just wreck it, shoot you a picture of it and tell you where you can find it before walking off?

traquer

Reaction score
I'd get a few grand from your buddy and get it fixed for cheap (I have a mexican body guy in Fullerton who does good work for the price) and not tell your insurance. Then sell the thing clean title and upgrade yourself to a newer safer cooler commuter.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Why the hell are you having to be tasked with this ordeal? Your so-called BFF should have all of this handled and keeping YOU abreast of updates.

Your definition of friend and my definition of friend are two entirely different things apparently lol

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Why are you dealing with any of this? Did he just wreck it, shoot you a picture of it and tell you where you can find it before walking off?
Lol kinda. He wrecked it. Let me know. Called his insurance. They said not our problem, so then now it’s my problem. It’s being towed to my house in Anaheim. Then need to go from there. I need to look at my insurance to see if I have collision or not. I don’t think I do.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

We must’ve been typing the same thing at the same time. I’d have gone richter on my “friend” at this point.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Why the hell are you having to be tasked with this ordeal? Your so-called BFF should have all of this handled and keeping YOU abreast of updates.

Your definition of friend and my definition of friend are two entirely different things apparently lol
My definition is falling more in line of yours now too

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I'd get a few grand from your buddy and get it fixed for cheap (I have a mexican body guy in Fullerton who does good work for the price) and not tell your insurance. Then sell the thing clean title and upgrade yourself to a newer safer cooler commuter.
Pm me his info?

poncho

Reaction score
Crappy spot to be in, been there.....easy to armchair a deal like this, mine had the Wife telling me how broke they were and she is a really good friend.