WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Done.. Last tuition payment check cut

DWC

Reaction score
Good job Dad!
You can have fun with that ... we paid for our two daughters college.
I used to say stuff like "
Man I'd sure like to have a DCB Mach 33 ...dang! I gotta pay off your college first "
or ... " I was gonna get Mom a new car but ... dang ... I gotta pay off your college"
I did it to hassle them for fun ... BUT ... it did prove a point ... we did sacrifice a whole bunch of other things for their education ... they heard it ... and I think it makes them appreciate that maybe we did pass on that new boat or truck or vacation ... but that's not the point ... kids need to be reminded that their "family" supported them all those years ( could be $ could be emotional support could be lots of love) Just a thought.
I made sure to grill it into our oldest because he came so close to bailing out. Reminded him countless times that it’s a once in a lifetime chance and they don’t give refunds. Funny how they all get it now. My oldest sons GF has a pretty big loan. My son about crapped when he found out.

Joker

Reaction score
I made sure to grill it into our oldest because he came so close to bailing out. Reminded him countless times that it’s a once in a lifetime chance and they don’t give refunds. Funny how they all get it now. My oldest sons GF has a pretty big loan. My son about crapped when he found out.
Our daughter has no college debt while her boyfriend has a ton of it and has nothing to show for it, yet this will somehow become "their" debt at some point. He was hoping for a Biden miracle of forgiveness but thats not happening.

Reactions: DWC

HBCraig

Reaction score
I am telling both my kids to get a good education. Their sports scholarships will cover a good chunk but not all. I pay for all of their shit and tell them you don't need to work while in college but your full time job is to excel in school. I will pay it for them, all of it. But stay diligent and kill it.
My parents paid for my school and grad school. Didn't make me work and I got all A's and 1 B. Graduated magna cum laude.

They are good students and good athletes. That's all I ask. They are good humans that are full blown Republicans

I am lucky enough to be able to pay for it.

DWC

Reaction score
What an awesome day with most of the family. My mom, dad and brother(s) made the trip down to attend. It was a quick graduation and family lunch.
Really looking forward to see what he does next.

7818FB42-3647-401B-AEB2-0585BA1C3DF1.jpeg
4FE27C75-9B96-42BB-8C92-4EE86D5D1FDE.jpeg

319CD372-E096-48A4-A2A3-3C4A33BD36E1.jpeg
EA2516A4-B134-49EC-BC31-DB1FB8893E6B.jpeg

Last edited:

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
  • Love

Singleton

Reaction score
What an awesome day with most of the family. My mom, dad and brother(s) made the trip down to attend. It was a quick graduation and family lunch.
Really looking forward to see what he does next

Congrats!

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
So cool - what a proud moment for the grad and his parents.

DWC

Reaction score
Congrats, my oldest daughter just got home from completing her freshman year at UT Austin.
Funny, my son is staying here through the end of June. Heading to Austin next. No real plans, no job yet. 😬.
Congrats on getting through the first year. That’s a huge accomplishment. It’s crazy how much they change/grow up.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Funny, my son is staying here through the end of June. Heading to Austin next. No real plans, no job yet. 😬.
Congrats on getting through the first year. That’s a huge accomplishment. It’s crazy how much they change/grow up.
He will do well in Austin. Great city with unlimited potential.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score

236eagledave

Reaction score
My son graduated from Cal Poly Pomona. Took almost 6 years but well worth it. He got some scholarship money and we covered the difference. Just got his Masters from ASU this month. That was on his dime although I think his employer picked up a portion.

• Love

f12517

Reaction score
Congrats!!!

My daughter has one more year at Baylor. I feel fortunate that we have her tuition money in the bank already to pay for that final year. Really looking forward to cutting that last check….

Last edited:
  • Love

DLC

Reaction score
  • Love

Singleton

Reaction score
My son graduated from Cal Poly Pomona. Took almost 6 years but well worth it. He got some scholarship money and we covered the difference. Just got his Masters from ASU this month. That was on his dime although I think his employer picked up a portion.

thanks you for posting that. My middle step-son just took a LOA from college. IF he goes back and finishes it will be 6 years of college, 7 years from start to finish. Only way I am not flipping out, is all his scholarships and grants are on hold, so he gets them back when he starts back up. So, we will not see an impact in what we support (if we continue to support).

236eagledave

Reaction score
thanks you for posting that. My middle step-son just took a LOA from college. IF he goes back and finishes it will be 6 years of college, 7 years from start to finish. Only way I am not flipping out, is all his scholarships and grants are on hold, so he gets them back when he starts back up. So, we will not see an impact in what we support (if we continue to support).
Keeping them motivated can be a challenge. At one point early on I had to threaten to withhold financial support if he didn’t focus and get his shit together. Fortunately he did. Hopefully your boy realizes how close he is to the goal and goes back to finish.

Singleton

Reaction score
Keeping them motivated can be a challenge. At one point early on I had to threaten to withhold financial support if he didn’t focus and get his shit together. Fortunately he did. Hopefully your boy realizes how close he is to the goal and goes back to finish.
I wanted to threaten withholding funds, but the conversation we had with him on Mother’s Day changed that, both my wife and I were just hoping he made it home. He now talks to a head Dr daily. Dude got depressed and was in a dark place. Switching colleges might be required

236eagledave

Reaction score
I wanted to threaten withholding funds, but the conversation we had with him on Mother’s Day changed that, both my wife and I were just hoping he made it home. He now talks to a head Dr daily. Dude got depressed and was in a dark place. Switching colleges might be required
His mental and emotional well being is definitely the most important thing right now. Good luck to you and your wife. I hope your son comes thru all this in a better place.

riverroyal

Reaction score
We just finished a 7 year run of college this month, although still 2 more classes to wrap it up. So basically done.
Wrote a check to cal state san marcos for 7 straight years.
Happy to do it...glad its done

DWC

Reaction score
Congratulations ! What a great Day!

you’ve got Great Kids! Raised right ….

Although….
The next Thing he does is head to Havasu for Memorial Weekend !!! Whoop whoop….
Thanks Doug. Wish we were out next weekend. Gonna be a few weeks before we’re out celebrating. Damn work and stuff.

Reactions: DLC

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. Good that he is talking to a Dr. I hope that he is able to get back into the grove next year.

I had a moment of clarity and felt like a big butt head with our son. Over the years we pushed out son. I was not aware of how it impacted him at the time. I wish that I had and I would have cut back some. The challenge is that my parents did not push us and I wish that they had.