WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Donkeys Shouldn't Own Boats

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
My neighbor came over and told me a funny story.
Some guy at his club in newport harbor just bought what he called a 'Go-Fast Boat' . . . so I'm assuming a 'Scarab-Type' of center console.
Apparently he bought it used and had someone hang a couple of brand new big outboards on the back.
So they take it outside the harbor to sea-trial it and the guy hands the helm over to the new owner, who then pins the throttle forward and proceeds to take it straight into the nasty short interval wind swells.
Sounds like it was ass-conditions, taking buckets over the bow etc. at 40+ knots.
They get it back in the harbor and tie it up at a dock he was renting from a homeowner who's never at the house. (Summer home)
A day or so later (not sure of the exact time frame) the dude gets a call, "Your boat has sunk at the dock".
Probably cracked a through-hull fitting during his 'Don Johnson Run'.
So a salvage company comes and raises it, pumps out all the water and drags it to the ramp and puts it on a trailer.
A few days later he gets a bill for $10K for the fuel it spilled into the harbor. 'ouch'.
Never ceases to amaze me how some people unplug their brain when they step onto a boat.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
My neighbor came over and told me a funny story.
Some guy at his club in newport harbor just bought what he called a 'Go-Fast Boat' . . . so I'm assuming a 'Scarab-Type' of center console.
Apparently he bought it used and had someone hang a couple of brand new big outboards on the back.
So they take it outside the harbor to sea-trial it and the guy hands the helm over to the new owner, who then pins the throttle forward and proceeds to take it straight into the nasty short interval wind swells.
Sounds like it was ass-conditions, taking buckets over the bow etc. at 40+ knots.
They get it back in the harbor and tie it up at a dock he was renting from a homeowner who's never at the house. (Summer home)
A day or so later (not sure of the exact time frame) the dude gets a call, "Your boat has sunk at the dock".
Probably cracked a through-hull fitting during his 'Don Johnson Run'.
So a salvage company comes and raises it, pumps out all the water and drags it to the ramp and puts it on a trailer.
A few days later he gets a bill for $10K for the fuel it spilled into the harbor. 'ouch'.
Never ceases to amaze me how some people unplug their brain when they step onto a boat.
I'm watching a whale watching boat now out in 35knt headwinds.... cant believe they're out in this mess. $$$$$$ Thats a rough ride.