WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Donovan's RIP

RodnJen

Reaction score
Tough business, restaurants open and close all the time. Don’t know anything about it but it sounds like a bit of a dinosaur.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Being replaced with a vegan style steakhouse.

Tough business, restaurants open and close all the time. Don’t know anything about it but it sounds like a bit of a dinosaur.

But let's don't take the owners reasons, insert your own narrative. Stockholm Syndrome fellas, praise and sympathize with your captor.

530RL

Reaction score
But let's don't take the owners reasons, insert your own narrative. Stockholm Syndrome fellas, praise and sympathize with your captor.

Donovan’s in Phoenix at 32nd street and Camelback closed over a year ago.

Why no post then Patty Hearst? :)

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Donovan’s in Phoenix at 32nd street and Camelback closed over a year ago.

Why no post then Patty Hearst? :)

Perhaps because they didn't claim "The high cost of doing business in California" since they were in Phoenix.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Perhaps because they didn't claim "The high cost of doing business in California" since they were in Phoenix.

If I lived in AZ and had California income, I could build a Skater.

All real problems doing business in California yet new ones open every day.

530RL

Reaction score

Maybe, just maybe, they died because the restaurant business is tough and their product was no longer relevant.....like Phoenix.

But then again, no one ever met anyone who wanted to blame others for their failures...... :)

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Maybe, just maybe, they died because the restaurant business it tough and their product was no longer relevant.....like Phoenix.

But then again, no one ever met anyone who wanted to blame others for their failures...... :)

Dan, I am simply taking the owners at their word. I'm sure the restaurant business is tough.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Starting to feel the pressure I see..... :(

Why make a comment about my Skater down here? Not the place, go to the mold section and make your case.

I feel no pressure other than a small persons comment about a boat.

530RL

Reaction score
Dan, I am simply taking the owners at their word. I'm sure the restaurant business is tough.

Do you take everyone you have never met at their word?

530RL

Reaction score
Why make a comment about my Skater down here? Not the place, go to the mold section and make your case.

He was kidding I am sure.

Just as I assume you are with me.

RodnJen

Reaction score

Nobody is bagging on your boat. Above all else, we all love boats and the boating lifestyle we live.

530RL

Reaction score
No, but its not like its a big surprise California is an expensive place to do business.

Yes it is and prices are accordingly higher. One of my buddies is the architect to Eddie V’s. Eddie V’s is killing it in S. Cal.

I am a cynic that hates excuses and I am very confident that if others are making a profitable go of it, they could have too.

This is politics as an excuse. Plain and simple.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Nobody is bagging on your boat. Above all else, we all love boats and the boating lifestyle we live.

No, you weren't. I'm curious as to why you think I have California income and why that would be any business of yours if I did?

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Yes it is and prices are accordingly higher. One of my buddies is the architect to Eddie V’s. Eddie V’s is killing it in S. Cal.

I am a cynic that hates excuses and I am very confident that if others are making a profitable go of it, they could have too.

This is politics as an excuse. Plain and simple.

Agree with that. I used to go to Maestros. We quit because the damn place is so noisy, you cannot have a conversation with your wife. Perhaps someday they will suffer for it. We started going Arrowhead Grill, since we are West side trash. The old Executive Chef from Maestros stared it.

They are victims of their own success as well, they tasted success, put in more and more tables. Now, its noisier and the tables are closer together than Mastros was.

530RL

Reaction score
No, you weren't. I'm curious as to why you think I have California income and why that would be any business of yours if I did?

It is of no one’s business. But anyone who is anyone knows what you have done with your business and good for you. You and your family deserve the results of you hard work, your boat and everything else you have earned. No one is bagging on you for it.

Good for you. Welcome to taking grief in the P&G for being a capitalist.......

You fucking RINO whore.... :)

530RL

Reaction score
Agree with that. I used to go to Maestros. We quit because the damn place is so noisy, you cannot have a conversation with your wife. Perhaps someday they will suffer for it. We started going Arrowhead Grill, since we are West side trash. The old Executive Chef from Maestros stared it.

They are victims of their own success as well, they tasted success, put in more and more tables. Now, its noisier and the tables are closer together than Mastros was.

So now you agree with me that it is politics as an excuse......

I need therapy.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
It is of no one’s business. But anyone who is anyone knows what you have done with your business and good for you. You and your family deserve the results of you hard work, your boat and everything else you have earned. No one is bagging on you for it.

Good for you. Welcome to taking grief in the P&G for being a capitalist.......

You fucking RINO whore.... :)

Thank you.

RodnJen

Reaction score

Not my business and I don’t care about your income.

thetub

Reaction score
you can spin and bullshit all you want but this rated the third worst in the country is no lie.

as of late my new thing to do is to go junking and picking to local businesses closing down. Its real and alot of guys are closing shop in Kalifornia and it aint fu-ing funny...

you should see the looks of worry , frustration and tiredness on their faces...

and the reasons vary , but for the most part its costs of business and regulations in Kali.... thats from the horses mouth...

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
and fu-k you liar.

you disgruntled envious grass is greener government , cubicle boy ...

That was a dig with a full whine of Kalifornistan not getting their beloved full extortion out of nganga’s business, plain and simple.

RodnJen

Reaction score
and fu-k you liar.

you disgruntled envious grass is greener government , cubicle boy ...

Envious. :rolleyes: I made my money, not much but it’s mine. I’ll continue to live frugally, pack my lunch and provide for my family.

saucedaddy

Reaction score
4D946D1E-DEB8-4539-865A-21DAD3FD698D.jpeg
No surprise here Donovan’s was by far the worst high end steakhouse around. Service and food quality was far below average! Was there 6 months ago and there were 4 tables of customers at 7pm on a Friday. Funny thing is the one in downtown is even worse. They were even advertising on Groupon! Of course the greedy ass capitalist owner won’t take responsibility for his shitty food and service! Sizzler put that shithole to shame, and I could of got a tossed salad!

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
View attachment 829487
No surprise here Donovan’s was by far the worst high end steakhouse around. Service and food quality was far below average! Was there 6 months ago and there were 4 tables of customers at 7pm on a Friday. Funny thing is the one in downtown is even worse. They were even advertising on Groupon! Of course the greedy ass capitalist owner won’t take responsibility for his shitty food and service! Sizzler put that shithole to shame, and I could of got a tossed salad!

"Tossed Salad" noted....:p

Grandpa mac

Now politics is kinda boring ;)
Reaction score
Not familiar with the restaurant, but if other restaurants in the same area are doing well I’d argue it has more to do with their product and management than the neighborhood they are in. Strikes me as a poor-me excuse for their own failures.

thetub

Reaction score
Envious. :rolleyes: I made my money, not much but it’s mine. I’ll continue to live frugally, pack my lunch and provide for my family.

you make yore money off the backs of people(tax payers) you find new ways to steal from...

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Not familiar with the restaurant, but if other restaurants in the same area are doing well I’d argue it has more to do with their product and management than the neighborhood they are in. Strikes me as a poor-me excuse for their own failures.

So, am I to understand California doesn't have a predatory tax & regulation environment?

530RL

Reaction score
you make yore money off the backs of people(tax payers) you find new ways to steal from...

Come on Tub, it is not like he is Trump demanding and lobbying government for property tax breaks off his fellow taxpayers.

Grandpa mac

Reaction score
So, am I to understand California doesn't have a predatory tax & regulation environment?
You’re asking me? I live in Washington. You did send the check to the correct address I hope?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
....I’d argue .....Strikes me as a poor-me excuse for their own failures.

You don’t know how to argue.. but are excellent at coming up with poor excuses for your failures.

So you might be on to something this time.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

The only one who is arguing with you and lives in CA is Rod, and we know he loves predatory tax and draconian regulations.

Using 530 logic, the rest must be Trumpkins because they live in less blue states than CA.

530RL

Reaction score
Perfect, they can argue politics with AOC when she's old enough to run for President. The left is so enamored with her, they are already inaugurating her.

Trump/AOC.....same coin different sides.

Both believe government is the solution as well as their supporters.

thetub

Reaction score
Come on Tub, it is not like he is Trump demanding and lobbying government for property tax breaks off his fellow taxpayers.

? huh

just stumbled out of my cave and me too stoopid to understand this ?

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
If others in the same area are doing well I’d argue it has more to do with their product and management than the neighborhood they are in.
Seems sort of inline with what one inland SoCal (Riverside, Ca) small Ace Hardware store business owner suggested as one part of why he's having to close up this month too.

https://www.facebook.com/workmansacehardware/posts/2806480226080020?__tn__=K-R,
To all our great friends, neighbors and customers, it is with much sorrow and pain that we have closed our Ace store indefinitely. We so much enjoyed being your locally owned alternative to other stores, but we could not get enough support from the local communities and neighborhoods to keep the store paying its bills.
This store was a dream for myself and family to work together and build what Pam and I hoped would expand into a few stores for our kids, Garret and Cassie to have for their future. At the same time, had I passed away, Pam and the kids would have had a steady business to rely on. Sometimes not all dreams come true, and when they don’t, it is very sad.
We had many issues that led us to this decision. Lack of customers being the biggest. We tried very hard to carry the products people needed. We expanded into other areas to try to develop a niche, it seemed regardless of what we did, whether it was the Duracell Car Keys, Magnolia Paint, YETI, non seemed to gain the traction needed to keep the store in the black. This was our first business, we lacked the training, knowledge and help from Ace to run the store effectively and understand what it really takes to own your own small business.
We found that on average, Ace was a little more on some things and less on others. I thought the easy in and easy out, being greeted and helped immediately would have been a huge reason to shop the store. Being a small store, 6500 sq. ft, people should not have expected us to have everything a 100,000 sq ft store had, but they did, and they told me about it as well. This created issues with many people who just wanted everything in one place. It drove them to stay loyal to the big stores. Amazon is a issue as well. Not just for us, but for all businesses. There were items I could buy cheaper from Amazon than wholesale through Ace.
The other issue were the hours, it was to many hours for any person to work, however I felt I needed to be there because I was the most knowledgeable across all the products and I did fear my families safety there being alone. Theft was a big issue, I am sure bigger than we know, or will ever know now. Unlike bigger stores, theft protection was us confronting the thief. We installed magnetic safety locks on many of the products, which made it more difficult for our honest customers to shop the store. The thieves brought their own magnets to unlock them, or tore them off the product. Due to the newer California laws, whether they got caught or not, the consequences were minimal, a slap on the wrist. We have many outstanding reports we have never heard back on, nor probably ever will.
Homeless, vagrants, transients, whatever they are, we’re just another nail in the coffin. People don’t want to shop in what they deem as a unsafe area. I tried very hard to clean it up as best for could, but more just kept showing up. I stopped allowing them in the store, and got a bad rap. We were 1000% Ace Helpful and got blamed for not allowing them to shop. Turn your back and there went another pair of gloves, a lighter, batteries, you name it. The trash they left behind daily, the needles, the urination and feces, kicking in my windows for no apparent reason, blocking my back entrance, being topless around the store, and much more, all added to the difficulty of owning a business. The police tried to help, the shopping center tried as well, but there is no solution.
Lastly, I do not consider us a failure. We did something most people only dream of. Owning your own business. We worked very long hours, after store hours, we kept working. If we were awake, we were doing Ace. We took no time off, and it affected all of us, not for the better. We had a beautiful store, and when your name is on the building it brings along with it a strong sense of pride. I tried very hard to be as fair with people as I could. In many cases, I did returns and other things that lost money, all in the effort to keep good customer relations. At the same time, when you are mistreated or stolen from, you take it personally, and I may have lost my cool a few times, for that I am sorry.
I am so proud of my family and employees. We all learned so much with regards to our products, running a business, people skills, etc. we are better for doing this in many ways.
I could easily write a book about our experiences. Should you have any questions, feel free to contact me at
[email protected]

As for the store, I will connect Ace with the Landlord, and maybe it can remain a Ace store in the future.

A big thank you to our great employees, Janet, Cat, Riley, Gilbert, Peter, and Luis. We are so sorry this happened during the Christmas Season.

Again, we are so sorry and sad this happened. We will miss all of you, and miss our store

Workman Family
Pam, Ted, Garret & Cassie

Grandpa mac

Reaction score
If you gave me the right address.
Okay, guess it’s waiting for me. Not sure why you’re asking me about California taxes when you know I don’t live in California. It’s like you swapped brains with Sweeper and think I’m Grads. I wish I were in California at the moment- spending the night near Kansas City and driving across this blizzard in the Dakotas tomorrow. Winds been howling outside all evening.