WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Double seal shaft log seals

MohaveChuck

Reaction score
Should I be using the water dump on these shaft log seals? To keep the prop shaft cooler?

I went all last summer without losing a seal. Then this year I just went through two sets already.

I am ordering a couple more from REX and trying again. Any tricks or suggestions. I am installing them so the cavities of the seals are facing in to hold the grease. Right? I don't remember if that is the way they came already installed and lasted a year. The first set I lost this year I thought it was because I didn't have my coupler set right on the V-drive and I had a wobble, but now it is perfect and I still took out a set.

Maybe I just didn't have the outside one seated up against the retaining clip properly?
Longer shaft log hose? I did cut an inch off so to move the seal down the shaft a little.

Chuck

Rexone

an ordinary American
Reaction score
Should I be using the water dump on these shaft log seals? To keep the prop shaft cooler?

I went all last summer without losing a seal. Then this year I just went through two sets already.

I am ordering a couple more from REX and trying again. Any tricks or suggestions. I am installing them so the cavities of the seals are facing in to hold the grease. Right? I don't remember if that is the way they came already installed and lasted a year. The first set I lost this year I thought it was because I didn't have my coupler set right on the V-drive and I had a wobble, but now it is perfect and I still took out a set.

Maybe I just didn't have the outside one seated up against the retaining clip properly?
Longer shaft log hose? I did cut an inch off so to move the seal down the shaft a little.

Chuck

We install (and always have) with the lower seal sealing out water. In other words both seals facing the same direction. Theory being the grease travels down the grooves and spreads out filling the grease cavity clearance around the shaft. When the grease cavity is full it is you will feel slight pressure on the grease gun....stop there. Too aggressive greasing can blow the top seal unless you have a lot of shaft clearance (worn seal housing or shaft or both).

Now some guys I've heard are putting the bottom seal in as you have suggested I hear. Not saying it's right or wrong but I see a couple potential problems. #1, if the shaft and / or seal housing is worn slightly water will get in where the grease should be. No grease because of water, excessive wear. #2, with both seals sealing grease (and air) in with the grease fitting in between them, it will be VERY easy to blow one or both seals backwards with a grease gun I would guess. Simply nowhere for air or excess grease to go in this case as the grease is pumped in.

Our seals are very similar to the old Nicson seals except they have larger grease grooves. Seals are installed same direction as those were too. To be clear also, there is another type of double seal box made by Glenwood that has a fiber bearing in it. This is a different animal than ours and not to be confused....

I also strongly recommend one of the synthetic red greases. Neo, Mobil One, etc. I strongly do NOT recommend the blue marine grease. When it mixes with water at all it becomes like a hard cake substance rather than a fairly fluid lubricating substance. Same goes for trailer wheel bearings on the subject of the blue grease. I used to go through bearings constantly, switched to Neo grease... no more bearing problems.

Hope that helps.

MohaveChuck

Reaction score
Thanks Rexone,
I'll put the seals in that way and try the red grease.

Chuck

Rexone

an ordinary American
Reaction score
Thanks Rexone,
I'll put the seals in that way and try the red grease.

Chuck

If you need any help Chuck just PM me your phone # and I'll be happy to answer any questions... :)