WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dove heads

HOSS

aka jroos
Reaction score
This was totally my fault as I left my heads at a machine shop for the last couple of years and now they are gone. Sooo, does anyone have a decent set?

farmo83

Reaction score
Call High Flow Dyamics and talk to Paul. If anybody has a set he will.

HOSS

aka jroos
Reaction score
Also whats the cam to get for these again. I am hesitant on a Lunati since thats what lead to this. This boat hasn`t run in 10 years after an accidental stamping from Lunati. Going back 460, well now a 557, Edelbrock rpm performer, 11:1 slugs, with a 750. Mallory with High Fire 4c box. I think I`m running back with a C impeller.

HOSS

aka jroos
Reaction score
Damn boyz, wheres tha love? I have a set of blue thunders but can`t waste them on this build with brackish water.

Flat Broke

Reaction score
The suggestion to call Paul (lakesonly from other web-based realms) can get you good answers for both of your questions. As another alternative, why not have the Blue Thunders hard anodized to protect em from the saltwater?

Good luck with it,
Chris

Nordie

Reaction score
yeah if you can get ahold of paul he is the man! and will set you straight on a cam as well!

if your hell bent on the doves atleast!

i have a set of c9's for sale

HOSS

aka jroos
Reaction score
The suggestion to call Paul (lakesonly from other web-based realms) can get you good answers for both of your questions. As another alternative, why not have the Blue Thunders hard anodized to protect em from the saltwater?

Good luck with it,
Chris

Didn`t know this existed to be honest! GS tells me that the hull can`t handle the power I`ll be making with the blue thunder heads. I`m gonna call Paul to find out more about hard anodizing. Thanks!

HOSS

aka jroos
Reaction score
A friend dropped me off a set of D3VE heads. What am I REALLY looking at? Free is good but if I have to spend more money on machine work compared to DOVE`s then its a wash.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
hey Hoss! my $0.02,on the cam call Clay Smith cams here in Cali. a good friend in Fl. runs their cam in his car,said they were Very helpfull,be prepaired to answer alot of questions about your combo.he said he's called them a few times for tech support on other engine builds,wasn,t buying anything,and they went way out of their way to walk him through a few things,and gained at least one customer for life because of it. good luck with your build:thumbsup

HOSS

aka jroos
Reaction score
Thanks Spectra81!!!!! be on the water again soon! :champagne::champagne:

HOSS

aka jroos
Reaction score
Looking at going roller with this 557 BBF. Staying with a 750 holley and the RPM performer. Not looking for speed outa this boat anymore, I just want durability and not work on it anymore. My lil boy (5) is gonna love it.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Hoss , I didn't read back too far but I will have a set of CJ heads from a BBF job I'm doing for a guy in Louisiana Pm me if your interested Tom

HOSS

aka jroos
Reaction score
Hoss , I didn't read back too far but I will have a set of CJ heads from a BBF job I'm doing for a guy in Louisiana Pm me if your interested Tom

With the CJ heads, wont I need a different intake and wet logs?

Jim Brock

Reaction score
i have a set of DOVE heads, they are fresh, never runn since ported and polished, new big valves,, Clay smith cam kit, for solid lifter cam up to 640 lift, guides and rocker studs, $1250.00 plus shipping, i have a lot more than that in them, Jim 1818-890-1867

Flat Broke

Reaction score
I'm gonna chime in here and draw some flak, but if it saves Hoss some headache it's worth it. I'm going to say ixnay on the Clay Smith camskay. Nothing against Honker's cams, but from my experience, and my brother's experience (both had complete long blocks spec'd/machined by him) his flat tappet cams bleed off too much compression to be usefull in a lower RPM (under 6k) scenario which covers most jetboats. You'd be much better served with a roller setup that can generate the lift you want without the overlap required by the lobe profiles used on flat tappet cams.
Again, nothing against the quality of CS cams/valvetrain components, but I feel his solid lifter/flat tappet setups aren't the best option if someone is willing to spend a little more for a roller cam setup.

With a 557 I know the VE forumla probably says you can get by with a 750 cfm carb, but you'll need more. If the hull you have can't handle the hp/speed from a pretty tame 557, I simply wouldn't waste your time/money on the project. Old jetboat hulls are the cheapest part of an old jetboat project, so if you're dead set on building a 557 (even a simple 10.75:1 or 11:1 pump gas setup with a single carb will pull over 700hp), make sure your hull can handle it.

FYI, a set of blue thunders, on an 11:1 557 with a victor jr/dominator setup will make north of 800 hp on 92 octane under 6k rpm if you can keep it cool. Just somethin to think about.

Chris

HOSS

aka jroos
Reaction score
Thanks flatbroke, the motor netted 1100 hp. The water down here will flat out ruin the heads and intake. Motor has been sitting in the shop now for too long now. I actually just put the long block back together. So with that being said I need another set of DOVE heads. I should just buy another cheap tunnel ram and may just do that. But I need steel heads.

Flat Broke

Reaction score
Thanks flatbroke, the motor netted 1100 hp. The water down here will flat out ruin the heads and intake. Motor has been sitting in the shop now for too long now. I actually just put the long block back together. So with that being said I need another set of DOVE heads. I should just buy another cheap tunnel ram and may just do that. But I need steel heads.

Or run your existing motor "as is" and buy a heat exchanger, coolant resevoir and waterpump ;) If you're that worried about the water you run in, why not go with a closed cooling setup? Somethin to think about.

Chris

HOSS

aka jroos
Reaction score
Or run your existing motor "as is" and buy a heat exchanger, coolant resevoir and waterpump ;) If you're that worried about the water you run in, why not go with a closed cooling setup? Somethin to think about.

Chris

Thought about it then put my hand in my pocket and came up with lent. It`ll cost money and take up space. Plus its another place to develop leaks, I hate leaks of any kind.

HOSS

aka jroos
Reaction score
I'm gonna chime in here and draw some flak, but if it saves Hoss some headache it's worth it. I'm going to say ixnay on the Clay Smith camskay. Nothing against Honker's cams, but from my experience, and my brother's experience (both had complete long blocks spec'd/machined by him) his flat tappet cams bleed off too much compression to be usefull in a lower RPM (under 6k) scenario which covers most jetboats. You'd be much better served with a roller setup that can generate the lift you want without the overlap required by the lobe profiles used on flat tappet cams.
Again, nothing against the quality of CS cams/valvetrain components, but I feel his solid lifter/flat tappet setups aren't the best option if someone is willing to spend a little more for a roller cam setup.

With a 557 I know the VE forumla probably says you can get by with a 750 cfm carb, but you'll need more. If the hull you have can't handle the hp/speed from a pretty tame 557, I simply wouldn't waste your time/money on the project. Old jetboat hulls are the cheapest part of an old jetboat project, so if you're dead set on building a 557 (even a simple 10.75:1 or 11:1 pump gas setup with a single carb will pull over 700hp), make sure your hull can handle it.

FYI, a set of blue thunders, on an 11:1 557 with a victor jr/dominator setup will make north of 800 hp on 92 octane under 6k rpm if you can keep it cool. Just somethin to think about.

Chris

I forgot, Greg (GS Marine) and Ronnie (Sporl Racing) both say with this hul and that hp,,,I will flat out die. The hull will chine walk violently. Greg told me to take a whole inch out of the strakes and it`ll still probably walk badly.

sturat

Reaction score
Call Paul Kane at high flow he is the master for the 385 series motor

HOSS

aka jroos
Reaction score
Looks like I`m getting a set of bare casting C8VE`s. Got my heart set on another tunnel ram with twin 600`s too. Little Summit kit.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I forgot, Greg (GS Marine) and Ronnie (Sporl Racing) both say with this hul and that hp,,,I will flat out die. The hull will chine walk violently. Greg told me to take a whole inch out of the strakes and it`ll still probably walk badly.
Hoss,im hoping you are going to listen to Grag at GS Marine. if he told you what its going to do with that hp,it will.the man has tons and tons of experience in the jet world,its kind of an obsession of his.