WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Drakart

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Anyone have one? What’s the story on these things? Good / bad??

There is one for sale in Havasu for 42k.. other than it being 2WD the thing looks pretty legit?

8EC27B00-6B1E-43C8-987D-0FDD94ED7471.png
66EF3959-05D4-40B3-875F-AB2AF555A8DE.png
33DFC8CC-EB4D-4710-86E9-DD9FB959C3E8.png
4229334C-AE2A-4983-B963-EA7263452FD7.png
8CCB9767-E871-4353-9C8E-91D6AD337347.png
62ACDDB4-8397-42BD-B732-566C041A4AC9.png
4C2BCB79-4F48-4C7B-8743-81F3BFA5C51C.png
3F0E98C2-6EED-498A-97B7-E2F635EA05CF.png
2F752357-9D41-4B19-95D0-AD7B5B52D829.png

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Had a friend who had one. Nothing but problems with it. That was 20 years ago though and he was always modifying something to make it go faster, so that could have been part of the problem. He's an engineer for Ford, so there's that.

Maybe they've gotten better since? That Hayabusa engine should be pretty bullet proof.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Guy in our group has one runs like a raped ape 🦍 plus no helmets required

Reactions: DWC

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
2wd only would be miserable in Havasu.

If it brakes you are sidelined waiting for parts, and it is more maintenance than a regular SXS -CVs, etc.

It is probably faster in a straight line if you have traction.

BingerFang

Reaction score
My neighbor had one 20 years ago, it was a single seater. It was bad ass!

bonesfab

Reaction score
I haven’t seen that style Drakart. I only knew about the single seaters. Looks pretty bad ass. And no belt to deal with.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Not sure about this particular one, but I do know that some of them didn't have reverse. Would be a major pita and something to confirm.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
2wd only would be miserable in Havasu.

If it brakes you are sidelined waiting for parts, and it is more maintenance than a regular SXS -CVs, etc.

It is probably faster in a straight line if you have traction.

I was debating that. Honestly I run all my SXS’s in 2WD 99.99% of the time. Only real concern is sometimes trying to back up you need 4wd

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
I was debating that. Honestly I run all my SXS’s in 2WD 99.99% of the time. Only real concern is sometimes trying to back up you need 4wd
Never understood guys running SxS’s in 2wd? I swear that’s half the reason for chatter in the washes. If you need to be in 2wd to ge the rear loose you’re not going fast enough. 🤪

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
a friends friend has one in our riding group when we go to ocotillo wells. Its almost identical to this one and he runs it hard and changes the chain once a year. He mention that there is a 4wd one coming or is already out not sure.
Here is another one for sale just popped up here.

232A0468-48CF-456F-9DB8-5136FCBE1B0F.png

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Mike Shetler (Idaho) was running with that guy over thanksgiving In glamis, I met dude but couldn’t tell you a name or much info. Maybe reach out Shetler and get input. From what I seen it runs pretty hard.
that thing will blow the doors off a SXS for sure

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
a friends friend has one in our riding group when we go to ocotillo wells. Its almost identical to this one and he runs it hard and changes the chain once a year. He mention that there is a 4wd one coming or is already out not sure.

View attachment 1188213

Drakart does have a 4wd version now.. I was looking at the one in havasu for 42k.. very similar to this one.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
They had one at kartek in corona that was badass and 4wd I was drooling over right after we bought our turbo S if I had know that’s what I would’ve bought!

Mototrig

Reaction score
Anyone have one? What’s the story on these things? Good / bad??

There is one for sale in Havasu for 42k.. other than it being 2WD the thing looks pretty legit?

View attachment 1188190 View attachment 1188191 View attachment 1188192 View attachment 1188193 View attachment 1188194 View attachment 1188195 View attachment 1188196 View attachment 1188197 View attachment 1188198
I spoke to the owner for about 30 minutes at the sand show 1 or 2 years ago. Very nice guy, had an accent. It appeared to have a lot of quality in the build. One thing I remember is he was very proud of the gearbox. Iirc it's his design, has reverse and has most of the reduction in ratio built into it. He said he did this to eliminate the use of a high speed chain to the rear axle. Which I guess makes sense if you think about the chain speed on the other busa of powered cars. I believe it still has a primary drive chain from the motor to the gearbox but don't quote me on that. I'm also biased though because I'm a big fan of busa powered short cars, and mainly Glamis dwelling. Whatever I drive through the dunes I stay in 2wd because I like the maneuverability and enjoy the challenge I get bored easily 😂😂.

Having said that I'd rather have 4x4 for the Havasu style terrain.

Edit: At the time I spoke to him he only had the 2wd model available......

Last edited:

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
Drakart does have a 4wd version now.. I was looking at the one in havasu for 42k.. very similar to this one.
Gotcha i wasnt sure if the 4wd was out yet. Just getting the info out there for any others considering a new one. I had seen the havasu one for sale posted almost a year ago and then it disappeared..
Seeing these in person a few years ago kinda made me wonder what the speed car initial hype was all about besides 4wd.
I am considering a x4 in my future as well btw. Let us know what you find out 👍🏽

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Never understood guys running SxS’s in 2wd? I swear that’s half the reason for chatter in the washes. If you need to be in 2wd to ge the rear loose you’re not going fast enough. 🤪

This. :) 4wd is nice when cruising, and typically you’ll get better mileage.

DaBank

Reaction score
@RiverDave

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I was never quite sure about this operation. Back before the pandemic, I tried (phone messages, texts and emails) for months to get in touch with Drakart to seee if they'd want to be an exhibitor at my Sand-Water-RV Expo in Havasu. Crickets. Then about a week before the Expo I get a phone call from the owner (Alan Fricker, definitely French) wanting a spot. I found them some space and they showed up with two cars, both good looking. At the time they were headquartered in Hesperia and a second desert location. Hard to pin down but buildiing some very nice product.

rrrr

Reaction score

I don't know anything about sand cars and UTVs. Looking over the photos of this vehicle, it appears to be well sorted. It must be smokin' fast with the 'busa engine, but I was surprised by the chain drive, thinking it would be a maintenance headache.

Then I slapped myself, realizing that chains have been driving motorcycles used and abused as desert and sand bikes for decades.

🤪

The electric power steering is a pretty cool feature. Is that common on Bombardier, Polaris, and similar vehicles?

Again, I don't know dick about these type of vehicles and what stresses they experience when being run hard. Based on my experience racing sprints and midgets (which see similar abuse), I did notice a couple of chassis fabrication issues that I would like to be educated about.

The hardpoint brackets and mounts welded to the frame that secure the engine, transmission, suspension, and other running gear to the frame are not as robust as I expected. Those parts take a beating, and I would think a heavier gauge material might be more appropriate. Obviously that's not the case, but any comments about what stresses these hardpoints see would be appreciated.

I also noticed the bolts that attach the rear lower suspension link rod ends to the frame appear to an improper grip length, and thus the nylock nut may not provide the proper connection security. The same condition exists on a couple other connections I could see. The connection could possibly loosen under the extreme operating conditions the vehicle sees. I think it would be prudent for owners to inspect similar connections on any vehicle chassis that sees extreme use to confirm the bolts have the proper grip length. Of course it's possible the photo doesn't provide a clear view of the connection, and my observation is incorrect.

Generally speaking, when sourcing, sizing, and applying fastener standards for racing vehicles I have been involved with, I use the information contained in this FAA Advisory Circular that sets out the approved parameters for aircraft repair and maintenance. That makes sense because the fasteners used in IndyCar and on the LSR streamliner I crewed on are all NAS spec.

Regarding the proper bolt grip length on connections that use a fiber or nylon locking insert, the document states the following:

f. Fiber or nylon locknuts are constructed with an unthreaded fiber or nylon locking insert held securely in place. The fiber or nylon insert provides the locking action because it has a smaller diameter than the nut. Fiber or nylon self-locking nuts are not installed in areas where temperatures exceed
250 °F. After the nut has been tightened, make sure the bolt or stud has at least one thread showing past the nut. DO NOT reuse a fiber or nylon locknut, if the nut cannot meet the minimum prevailing torque values. (See table 7-2.)

By the way, it's important to inspect these insert type nuts and confirm they provide the proper resistance and joint integrity when the connection they make up is disassembled for maintenance or repair. The cause of the structural failure on the elevator trim tab of the P-51 Galloping Ghost at the Reno Air Races in 2011 that killed ten spectators was the repeated reuse of the locking insert nuts on the connection of the trim tab to the elevator.

The inserts provided no security at all. Two of the bolted connections came apart, and the stresses on the remaining connections under the extreme flight loads caused the tab to be torn loose from the elevator.

It's not my intention to pick apart the build standards of this particular vehicle. I don't have the chops to criticize someone's work when I have no idea of what's involved in its design, manufacture, and operation. The builder has decades long experience in constructing them, and there's no doubt it is well designed and professionally built.

I would appreciate feedback about my observations from those that build or run this or similar vehicles. What sort of chassis damage occurs when these vehicles experience a rollover or hit an unexpected situation like a big rut or perhaps a concealed rock structure? How is it repaired? Is it common to cut out damaged sections and replace them with new tubing and hardpoints?

62ACDDB4-8397-42BD-B732-566C041A4AC9.png

Last edited:

FCT

Reaction score
I drove a Rhino with a gsxr 1000 engine back in the day and that fucker was like being strapped to a rocket. Way to much fun! I imagine one of those to be about the same.

renodaytona

Reaction score
Drakart units have come a long way since their onset into the market with the single seaters. These new ones look good and the videos of it above show it's definitely capable in the desert.

Taboma

Reaction score
The only thing I know about Hayabusa engines is they were famous for powering Suzuki motorcycles that were really fast and rev to the moon.

Only HP specs I can easily find show a top of about 187 hp @ 9700 RPM and 110.64 ftlbs @ 7,000. So unless these engines are being modified for a lot more, that doesn't seem like a "Wow" number for today's SxS horsepower wars.
I've read about doing mods and putting these in Jet Skis, yet that's far behind any HP leaders in that game as well.

Obviously I'm missing something here that's getting so many so worked up 🤔

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
@RiverDave

I have seen them but have never been in one or had any real world experience with them.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Thing looks cool!

I may be outa the loop here… but what is it about havasu terrain that makes you need 4WD? It’s pretty similar to ocotillo wells, Lucerne, and Barstow in which case 4WD was almost never needed? Unless you are trying to find rocks to crawl over or some gnarly hill to climb 🤷‍♂️

Seems like a cool car to blast around those type of deserts and can definitely rip that thing through the dunes as well.

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
The only thing I know about Hayabusa engines is they were famous for powering Suzuki motorcycles that were really fast and rev to the moon.

Only HP specs I can easily find show a top of about 187 hp @ 9700 RPM and 110.64 ftlbs @ 7,000. So unless these engines are being modified for a lot more, that doesn't seem like a "Wow" number for today's SxS horsepower wars.
I've read about doing mods and putting these in Jet Skis, yet that's far behind any HP leaders in that game as well.

Obviously I'm missing something here that's getting so many so worked up 🤔
I have seen they are using the kawi zx1400 motor also as an option. In stock form i agree the stock horsepower is low in todays sxs wars i think they are just at 200hp now without a turbo but rev like the dickens! Who knows how that characteristics compare from cvt trans and the gearbox/reduction chain drive. Pro r rom limiter at 8650 vs zx/ busa over 11k.
I do know that shnitz racing makes a turbo kit for the zx motors that can get you right below 500hp lol
Pretty sure drivetrain would grenade with that power if put into a drakart. Either way would love to drive one and see what its about

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
Thing looks cool!

I may be outa the loop here… but what is it about havasu terrain that makes you need 4WD? It’s pretty similar to ocotillo wells, Lucerne, and Barstow in which case 4WD was almost never needed? Unless you are trying to find rocks to crawl over or some gnarly hill to climb 🤷‍♂️

Seems like a cool car to blast around those type of deserts and can definitely rip that thing through the dunes as well.
Was thinking the same thing! Guys survive baja in 2wd classes 🤷🏽‍♂️

Taboma

Reaction score
I have seen they are using the kawi zx1400 motor also as an option. In stock form i agree the stock horsepower is low in todays sxs wars i think they are just at 200hp now without a turbo but rev like the dickens! Who knows how that characteristics compare from cvt trans and the gearbox/reduction chain drive. Pro r rom limiter at 8650 vs zx/ busa over 11k.
I do know that shnitz racing makes a turbo kit for the zx motors that can get you right below 500hp lol
Pretty sure drivetrain would grenade with that power if put into a drakart. Either way would love to drive one and see what its about
Thanks 👍 Since I've got a "Real" RG SxS, the made in Minnesota USA one ;) and coming from as Rzr, it took me awhile to adjust to the high-revving Yamaha engine as initially I kept thinking I had it stuck in low-range.
Obviously the Hayabusa is designed to rev to the moon just to get into the powerband, which would really seem strange at first.

WildWilly

Reaction score
Caall them up, they will set up a test drive for you out in apple valley. I spoke with tthem about building one for me because they'll do anything custom during the build, like set the rider seat to size. I was going to basically build a 4 seater into an extended 2 seater with some extra storage. they are pretty badass, and they have different power levels, 6 speed trans and even some options for a low speed mode that negates the need for extra clutch work at low speeds.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Thing looks cool!

You don’t need it, but there is a lot of medium speed more technical stuff in Havasu. A 2wd SXS with more than 150 hp is all over the place unless you are cruising. If you are trying to keep up with your buddies in 4wd on anything but a straight trail, they will leave you.

Also at 82” it is too wide.

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
d. One thing I remember is he was very proud of the gearbox. Iirc it's his design, has reverse and has most of the reduction in ratio built into it. He said he did this to eliminate the use of a high speed chain to the rear axle.
Interesting.
We saw a guy at Coral Pink in 2006 running a Tom Pro car witha Busa engine and a Trans very similar to this setup.
The car was a rocket, turbo deal.

We watched him rip around for a while then overheat.
While his buddy went to camp for coolant we talked with the driver a while.
Was about a 350hp tune. Claims when they built it was closer to 450 but just couldn’t control it so they dialed it back.

Trans deal had forward and reverse, and the setup was almost identical with the short drive chain between engine case and the trans.
I wonder if it’s the same mfg?
It seemed to hold up to the power just fine.

counterpart7

Reaction score
Thing looks cool!

My thoughts too. I’ve never ran any of my stuff in 4wd unless I was climbing a steep hill, then shut it off when I get to the top. Never used it in Lucern, Barstow, JV or Havasu 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sounds like if you need 4wd in Havasu, you might want to look into driving lessons or get a Jeep…

Bobby_329

Reaction score
I have a tom pro car with a zx 14, reverse box and no turbo and it rips in the sand if i hit the right roller and stand on it it will pick the front tires up. In the dirt the sxs is probably better and definitely easier to drive i think my car would just fry the tires everywhere. Maintenance wise i just change the oil and keep the chain adjusted works great no problems.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have a tom pro car with a zx 14, reverse box and no turbo and it rips in the sand if i hit the right roller and stand on it it will pick the front tires up. In the dirt the sxs is probably better and definitely easier to drive i think my car would just fry the tires everywhere. Maintenance wise i just change the oil and keep the chain adjusted works great no problems.

According to other members, you just need driving lessons. 🤣

These seem like they would be awesome in the right environment. Happy you are enjoying it.

Do you have CV maintenance on these? I saw that many use Porsche style CVs.

Ladsm

Reaction score
I would run a 2WD in Glamis all day long but in the hills of Havasu I would hold up for a 4WD. Back in the days before the RZR was born the 2WD Weller R1 Rhinos used to go out with us in the hills around Silver Wood, CA and on some of the smallest hills they would have to get back and make a Bonzai run. They stopped going after the first couple trips.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Looks like a cool deal. Get the 4WD, add a Rekluse clutch and a turbo and you're all set!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I believe the parasitic loses for a CVT are quite a bit higher than a multi-speed trans with a chain drive as well.

I wonder if Recluse makes a clutch for a 'Bussa?

Badchoices03

Reaction score
This. :) 4wd is nice when cruising, and typically you’ll get better mileage.

On our recent outing, went for a ride with about 6 other sxs's, and we were stopped talking at some point and I had mentioned that I always had it in 4 wheel drive....and everyone looked at me like I was weird or crazy or something...

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Interesting.
We saw a guy at Coral Pink in 2006 running a Tom Pro car witha Busa engine and a Trans very similar to this setup.
The car was a rocket, turbo deal.

We watched him rip around for a while then overheat.
While his buddy went to camp for coolant we talked with the driver a while.
Was about a 350hp tune. Claims when they built it was closer to 450 but just couldn’t control it so they dialed it back.

Trans deal had forward and reverse, and the setup was almost identical with the short drive chain between engine case and the trans.
I wonder if it’s the same mfg?
It seemed to hold up to the power just fine.

My buddy has a Tom Pro car with a 500hp(when turned up) turbo 'busa, built in 2019. The thing works well and very little issues. It's a cool car imo

image000000.jpg
image000000(1).jpg
image000000(2).jpg

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
My buddy has a Tom Pro car with a 500hp(when turned up) turbo 'busa, built in 2019. The thing works well and very little issues. It's a cool car imo

View attachment 1188344 View attachment 1188345 View attachment 1188346

Who was it that had the Rhino with the street bike deal years back that launched it at Marysville track and put it on the tail gate? Sonny? His dad? I can't recall, but it was right when Rhinos first came out, and he went full stupid on it.

Bobby_329

Reaction score
According to other members, you just need driving lessons. 🤣

These seem like they would be awesome in the right environment. Happy you are enjoying it.

Do you have CV maintenance on these? I saw that many use Porsche style CVs.
Its just a different animal 12k rpm with a clutch vs torquey automatic with 4wd.

Its awesome in the sand fast enough to be a blast but not big power breaking shit every trip.

I clean and re grease them but haven't ever broken anything yet.

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
I believe the parasitic loses for a CVT are quite a bit higher than a multi-speed trans with a chain drive as well.

I wonder if Recluse makes a clutch for a 'Bussa?
Well sum bitch looks like in Rekluse website they do make the radius x auto clutch kit for the busa engines!