WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Drive by wire intercooler hats and 5th axis manual notching

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Not really "machining" more of carpentry, joinery, pattern work, very little actual measuring going on here, just some intersectional notching done by eye and pen line. The tilting rotary table makes this pretty nice for the tubing intersections.

These are to convert the standard Gentry style throttles to modern drive by wire.

Height wasn't a huge issue here, but these are maybe only 2.5" taller than the normal setup.

Typically in the past i haven't done very much sheet metal work, but i picked up a big box brake last year and this is the first time really using it. Definitely some art to accounting for the stretch etc.

Start with kind of a basic shape concept in card stock to see what it will look like in the real world
00 - Copy.jpg

Moving on to more advanced shapes
01 - Copy.jpg

02 - Copy.jpg

First metal
03 - Copy.jpg

Trimmed up
04 - Copy.jpg

05 - Copy.jpg

06 - Copy.jpg

More Patterns

07 - Copy.jpg

08 - Copy.jpg

09 - Copy.jpg

10 - Copy.jpg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Big old tilting rotary table and chuck in the mill, nothing is indexed here, just kinda eyeball aligned, this isn't "precision" work that has to match any number, it's just a good method of holding these tubes to cut all the features.

11 - Copy.jpg

12 - Copy.jpg

13 - Copy.jpg

14 - Copy.jpg

Keep chipping away till we are happy
15 - Copy.jpg

16 - Copy.jpg

17 - Copy.jpg

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Beautiful work. Why would the intake plenum be different on drive by wire ? I had a Richard Lee / GT set up, why would drive by wire change the intake ? Just curious, your work is awesome as always.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Wow...

The machine works is super cool. But who did those beautiful welds??

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That looks really good!

How did you pattern the notch for the plenum tube? I usually roll cardstock into a tube, and attack it a razor...trial and error...mostly error. I've seen a couple guys use offsets on sharpies, and trace the mating surface to the tube.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
That looks really good!

How did you pattern the notch for the plenum tube? I usually roll cardstock into a tube, and attack it a razor...trial and error...mostly error. I've seen a couple guys use offsets on sharpies, and trace the mating surface to the tube.

I've always used a profile guage/shape finder.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
That looks really good!

Measure, offset, witness mark with a sharpie and then connect the two points with a piece of masking tape. These notches are relatively simple so no need to overcomplicate it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've always used a profile guage/shape finder.
What's kind of sad, I honestly never knew what you would use those for. I had always seen them, but hadn't a clue of their uses. I never wanted to sound stupid asking either :oops: There are probably a lot of things I do the hard way because it's the only way I could figure out how to do it.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
18 - Copy.jpg

Not bad for a first version here. Was somewhat limited in positioning here due to the fact the blow-off valves were already in the compressor housings and needed to remain. Throttles mounts are o-ring grooved, no gaskets.

19 - Copy.jpg