WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Drive Fluid, Merc Bravo 1

ROBINSON

Reaction score
What fluid do I use for the drive? I have a merc bravo 1. It is weird that it is even low because I had the boat serviced in September and used it once in October since then it has been parked. The fluid is a dark green color. Thanks for the help

sdpm

Reaction score
Mercury Hi Perf Gear Lube.

Depending on how the drive was filled it and how long it sat before they gave it back to you, the lube in the resivoir will drop a little so don't be to concerned. Now if it keeps dropping either just setting or being used, then something is up and should be addressed.

ROBINSON

Reaction score
Ya I will pay close attention after I top it off and use it to see if it drops anymore, I'm hoping it just went down from an air bubble or something after servicing it. I don't see any signs of a leak anywhere. Thanks for the insight

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
My boat needs a top off every couple trips. Have had the drive apart and everything checks out. No visible leaked either.

Wetanddirty

Reaction score
I know that Mercury recommends the Mercury High Performance + gear oil for the Bravo 1 but is there any better option? I ask because the nearest boat shop to me has gone out of business. Also, is there any difference between the Mercury High Performance + Gear Lube (black bottle with red label) and the Mercury Quicksilver High Performance Gear Lube (silver bottles)? I'd love to be able to use I high quality gear lube in my Bravo 1 that's available at a local auto parts store. I'm running a Clay Smith 496 with Bravo 1 is that helps.

sdpm

Reaction score
I know that Mercury recommends the Mercury High Performance + gear oil for the Bravo 1 but is there any better option? I ask because the nearest boat shop to me has gone out of business. Also, is there any difference between the Mercury High Performance + Gear Lube (black bottle with red label) and the Mercury Quicksilver High Performance Gear Lube (silver bottles)? I'd love to be able to use I high quality gear lube in my Bravo 1 that's available at a local auto parts store. I'm running a Clay Smith 496 with Bravo 1 is that helps.

Is there any thing better? That I don't know. I have been working with Mercury/Mercruiser products for over 25 years. I have "NEVER" seen a engine or drive failure due to running their products. As far as Mercury or Quicksilver product, it is the exact same. I compare it to like "Chevrolet or GMC". Same same.

The only thing I would suggest is to not mix lubes if possible.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will chime in and say otherwise. ;)

Wetanddirty

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification on the Mercury/Quicksilver branding. I thought as much but just wanted to be sure. I was told many years ago that Quicksilver was the Outboard stuff and that Mercury/Mercruiser was the I/O and Inboard stuff. Don't know why they would waste money branding the same this twice. Now that I know for sure, I just found Quicksilver High Performance Gear Lube at my local Walmart for $11.49 a qt. Sounds like a steal.