WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Drive or fly?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Looks like I’m headed to San Jose next week for work. They know I live in so cal and they are leaving it up to me to pick. Drive myself or fly.

It would be a one day trip either way. No hotel stay, fly I’ll need a rental car but likely could fly out of John Wayne which is a bonus.

What say the posse

Your ad here

Reaction score
Fly. One hiccup on the drive and it turns into a 2 day event. Plus when you are driving back and get into Santa Clarita it's still 2.5 hours to South OC.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I hate flying commercial and now being retired, I never have to. Plus, I love to drive and see things on the road. That said, I don't see how you can drive to San Jose, take care of business, then drive home again in one day without it being a very looooong day. I'd fly.

Mikes56

Reaction score
Definately drive. It’s a pain in the ass to drive to the airport, pay thru the ass for parking, get there at least an hour early, wait for your flight, and pay thru the ass for food and drink at the airport. Then you’ll have no car when you land. Then the reverse when you fly home. F that.
Can you tell I just took a trip that required flying? I‘m not doing that again for a long time.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Fly. That drive will be a nightmare on both ends.

What time do you need to arrive in SJ and departure time from SJ?

hallett21

Reaction score
Fly. 6 hour drive each way. Drink on the flight home.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
If it's a 6 hour drive or less, I prefer to drive. That particular route, I would fly because there are too many opportunities for traffic to turn it into an 8+ hour drive.

Last edited:

alohajeff

Reaction score
Fly.

Get work done for an hour on the plane. Veg out and relax. Chat with a stranger next to you. All of those are more enjoyable than making the drive to San Jose from the OC.

750 less miles on your personal vehicle. 10 hours less travel time.

The company should be paying for airport parking so that's no biggie. And if you do have to rent a car you'll be able to drive the FASTEST CAR IN THE WORLD which is always fun. If it's not too far from SJC Uber / LYFT might be an option. Turn those receipts into the employer.

And even with all the modern security BS / hassle I still think flying is fun. Not sure if you have TSA PreCheck or not... if you don't I'd highly recommend getting it. With TSA PreCheck clearing security is almost like it was before 9/11.

Aloha

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Drive...so that way you can keep your punch with you in the bay area.
(In case there is some urgent paperwork)

In all seriousness, it depends on the person. I love to drive, and normally don't have to be anywhere the next day. It also depends on family and such, young kids or family dynamics.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
OC to San Jose is 5 hours + even if you drive 10nover with zero stops. I'm not doing 10+ hours driving in a day plus whatever work is required in the middle.
Fly or a two day trip no question.

cofooter

Reaction score
Drive if it were me, too much BS flying these days, if it's a short trip and 200 percent of the he time or less, all in, I will drive. All in being getting to the airport early enough, the flight, getting a car, dealing with delays, and the same thing on the way back. Do the math on an 8hr drive vs flight, it's not that much more time

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
Can you pocket any $ if you drive?

DB / HAV

Reaction score
I fly to San Jose often. Super easy, San Jose is a nice airport and you can Uber if your appt is close or the rental cars are right there. Southwest

Reddy Too

Reaction score
Driving is $.65/mile reimbursement. Do not know if that is part of your analysis.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I would fly without a doubt. Nice easy flight.. I'm surprised your company wouldn't put you up for a night in San Jose after flying and working. That's when I would have dinner at Original Joe's in San Jose, Martini's at the bar and some amazing Italian food. Then fly home in the morning...

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I would fly without a doubt. Nice easy flight.. I'm surprised your company wouldn't put you up for a night in San Jose after flying and working. That's when I would have dinner at Original Joe's in San Jose, Martini's at the bar and some amazing Italian food. Then fly home in the morning...
they think because its still in CA they can do that. IDK lol

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Not staying over night, I would fly. I take it that you are a salary employee.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Tough call your schedule will require you to probably spend the night in San Jose the night before your meeting if you drive. If you fly the earliest flight is 6:45 with actual take off at 7 out of sna and gets you to San Jose at 8:15. Add in deboard time and car rental you might make it into the office at 9 if there are no delays. Your best option for flight out is probably 4:30 or 5:55 getting you home and back in your car at 6:30 or 7:45.

If you drive and wrap at 2 your gonna be hitting LA traffic at 6 which will add an hour of two to the drive home.

I always prefer driving but for this one I might fly.

rrrr

Reaction score
Flying is the better choice.

According to my brother, who lives a few blocks from the SJS campus, a half eaten cheeseburger or a SpongeBob backpack left in plain view will likely result in fewer windows in the vehicle than it started with, so driving your car may result in the ride home being a bit breezy.

He says the huge homeless camps around the 280 and 101 freeways and Coyote Creek have expanded to the airport area, and the East Bay criminals are commuting to more affluent San Jose.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
If it’s for work and they will pay to fly you and get a rental car, it’s a no brainer. You seriously want to spend 10-12 hours in one day driving for work? F that. They should pay for your parking as well. Flying will be SO much easier.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Fly into San Jose, rental car is right across from baggage claim. Super easy.
I flew from Phoenix to San Jose for two years weekly.

Buy Southwest A1-A15 round trip. Uber to airport, so you don’t spend 2 hours parking car.
Chances are the flights you need, to make it same day will be booked. I recommend spending the night, and flying home in the morning.

Last edited:

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I would drive. I would also tell them they need to pay for a hotel room. Too long of a day with driving to not stay over.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I’m in and out of San Jose and John Wayne just about weekly. Both airports are super easy to get in and out whether you have TSA pre-check or not.

This is a no-brainer, fly.

Singleton

Reaction score
Fly + rental car.
Unless you are getting paid travel time, driving turns a normal work day into a very long day.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
If you had a commuter car.. drive and pocket the mileage money.

Truck… just fly.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Uber or LYFT to the airport and Fly. Take a book to read while you wait. Get reimbursed for all of it. Seems easy. No luggage... maybe a backpack or brief case..

gqchris

Reaction score
I used to fly uo to 4 days a week to SJC, Ian. Its a piece of cake. I would leave at the 6am out of LGB, (Back when Jet Blue was in Long Beach, Miss that part now) and be back to tuck the girls in for bed that evening. I used to see the same commuters on those flights and the flight attendants knew me. LOL..

F Driving, that sucks and nothing fun at the end except work!

Bails

Reaction score
I used to fly uo to 4 days a week to SJC, Ian. Its a piece of cake. I would leave at the 6am out of LGB, (Back when Jet Blue was in Long Beach, Miss that part now) and be back to tuck the girls in for bed that evening. I used to see the same commuters on those flights and the flight attendants knew me. LOL..

F Driving, that sucks and nothing fun at the end except work!
Yes, make it really easy and fly out of Long Beach

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Hey, what about that cool California Bullet Train? 😜

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Well I am flying now. Next question is same day flight home lol tbd

gqchris

Reaction score
Well I am flying now. Next question is same day flight home lol tbd
Same day flight makes for a long day, I will admit. But I am a morning person and love being home that night to sleep.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Where are you flying out from?

JetsuiteX does Burbank to Oakland. Super easy, no security check, no line. Show up 15 mins before departure and walk right out to the plane from the private terminal

Cobalt232

Reaction score
JSX is great. My wife and I took it to Phoenix and now I have a hard time getting her to fly regular commercial.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Kidding aside I do a similar trip nearly every month. I could fly but the hassle of the airport on both ends eats up far to much time. With the caveat that both airports are "hubs" so more hassle.

What I often do is leave the evening before and get a hotel room a couple hours from my destination. I get a good night's sleep and easily finish the drive the next morning. My meeting is done mid afternoon and I drive home. Easy peasy

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
Years ago I had a project in San Jose. I drove once. Took a flight out of SNA every time after that.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Latest update.

Flying out of Long Beach and returning to Long Beach same day!! Even better.