WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Drive replacement choices?

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Ok,,, blew up the BRAVO XR ITS. Upper and the case is toast.So what to do.
The drive has newer Max machine worx upgrades in it, but unknow condition at this time, I do know all 3 upper gears are toast. I see my choices as this.
#1. Buy a new XR case, have the shop salvage what they can out of the blown upper, and build the new drive. I think this would be my least expensive option, but I’m just back to where I was?, does it break again in 13 hours? Or do I win on the new gears, and they last 10 years like it did before the rebuild? If merc makes shit gears these days, and it blows again, I’ll be on rebuild #3 and could have just bought the SCX the first time.(but is the SCX any better?) if bigger is better, it would seem it is?
#2. IMCO SC. It looks like this is a direct replacement, no new helmet needed, but it just has merc XR gears in it, I don’t know if it’s really any better than the max worx XR rebuild,$8100 for the SC.
#3 Teague Platinum, seems to be a IMCO SC drive in teague clothing, same merc XR gears, about the same price as the SC.
#4 IMCO SCX, true upgrade with 40% larger gearset, but helmet change required and $13000 price tag, and loss in speed, but I don’t care about that loss if it doesn’t break.
My IMCO 2” shorty is fine I’m sure, but it will have to be cleaned out.
If I take the $13k hit on the SCX, I have to keep this boat forever, and ask for a Viking burial in it, as I will be into this boat over $130k.
P.S. I do have limited funds.
What have some of you old sea dogs done?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
V-drive, FTW.

The drive has newer Max machine worx upgrades in it, but unknow condition at this time, I do know all 3 upper gears are toast. I see my choices as this.
#1. Buy a new XR case, have the shop salvage what they can out of the blown upper, and build the new drive. I think this would be my least expensive option, but I’m just back to where I was?, does it break again in 13 hours? Or do I win on the new gears, and they last 10 years like it did before the rebuild? If merc makes shit gears these days, and it blows again, I’ll be on rebuild #3 and could have just bought the SCX the first time.(but is the SCX any better?) if bigger is better, it would seem it is?
#2. IMCO SC. It looks like this is a direct replacement, no new helmet needed, but it just has merc XR gears in it, I don’t know if it’s really any better than the max worx XR rebuild,$8100 for the SC.
#3 Teague Platinum, seems to be a IMCO SC drive in teague clothing, same merc XR gears, about the same price as the SC.
#4 IMCO SCX, true upgrade with 40% larger gearset, but helmet change required and $13000 price tag, and loss in speed, but I don’t care about that loss if it doesn’t break.
If I take the $13k hit on the SCX, I have to keep this boat forever, and ask for a Viking burial in it, as I will be into this boat over $130k.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
This is why I have never added up receipts on any toy, ever. I just have a rough idea. You cant put a price on the fun.

Performance Boating isn't for the faint of heart, or wallet.

Brian

adam909

Reaction score
how much to rebuild? maybe something didn't mesh correctly when rebuilt?.. try another builder to rebuild..

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I would go back to Max Machine Worx. I'm sure they will be able to determine why it failed and get you back out on the water with a quality drive.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
how much to rebuild? maybe something didn't mesh correctly when rebuilt?.. try another builder to rebuild..
Max Machine Worx is known for good honest work.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Also 2 oil changes on 13 hours, came out golden, think it was ok, it was parts failure,”I think”.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I will be calling Aaron tomorrow.
By everything I read, and the short relationship I have with Aaron, I feel confident in the quality of work, Max produces, I also pretty much know what happened, im over on oso also, and talked to members that have sent photos showing my exact failure. I know there are a multitude of ways these things break, but a common one is gear failure, and in the upper if a tooth breaks off, those things are very hard and there’s is no room for them to go anyware, they push against eachouther,so eather the top one blowes out the top , followed but a fountain of oil, or the pinion blowes out the front, the XR has a very heavy finned top cap, and I have arp studs, the pinion is held in by a clip and seal and threaded plate but only the thin snout that goes in against your bellows and helmet. You now the rule, least path of resistance. I think one of the brand new merc gears lost a tooth, then bam, grinde boom, it’s time to spend more money. After watching daves video of Arron explaining drives, maybe I want a standard bravo case with XR guts?
I was only going 45 when it happened, if any of you were headed to pirates around 9am Saturday, I was the only boat headed south, you might remember seeing me. I think I still know how to drive, my last engine was a 540 with 12lbs of boost on av gas, the oem original 2003 gears lasted till 2014, and even then, only replaces the drive gear due to 3 tiny pits. I have Heard its luck of the draw on what they produce now.

Luck of the draw is right... Frustrating for you I bet.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score

I want to be clear on this post, the upper gears in my drive looked good at time of rebuild, and at the high cost of these gears, I made the decision to have them re-installed.poor choice on my part.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
No, Max has thier shit together, it was my choice to reuse the upper gearset, that’s what let go.

Water rod

Reaction score
What boat and power are you running? The Bravos and IMCO sc are only rated to 600 hp. If your running bigger power you will continue to break the drive.

instagator

Reaction score
I have run Max Machine drives for years, best out there for bravo style drives !