WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Drive wedge?

nrbr

Reaction score
I was told today that I could benefit by putting a drive wedge on our 20 spectra. I cannot find said wedge in my Google adventures. Anybody know where to look? Also does anyone have any experience with the wedges?

nrbr

Reaction score
What problem are you having?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because transom has so little angle it's difficult to get enough "down" or trim in. I installed trim tabs from marine industries west to counteract last year, but think we can gain more by installing this wedge. It fits between the outdrive and the transom creating more angle.

nrbr

Reaction score
Looks like I've found it! Dont know why I dont just call Bob everytime, he always has what I'm after for this boat...
Screenshot_20190327-184816_Samsung Internet.jpg

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Stupid question, but I'm assuming you've already tried moving the celery stick to the front side of the rear trim ram pin?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I wouldn’t do it.. that said it is a way..

If you want help, help is available.

Tell us what you have setup etc and we can go from there

lbhsbz

Reaction score
The only benefit I can see from this is out of the hole performance if your transom angle is such that the drive is effectively always "trimmed up" too much.

I modified an outboard bracket because I couldn't get enough trim before I got into the low pressure tilt cylinder and ended up needing to trim down another few degrees at low speeds to kill a porpoise while towing skiers, and a set of wedges did that, but I can't see it on an outdrive boat.

spectras only

Reaction score
Did you disconnect the trim cylinders at the rear to see if the white plastic spacer in the drive placed to the rear or front of the ram pin? Granted, the 20 Spectra has a small vertical transom angle, but I just can't see how it has an issue, since these hulls plane out quite easily, jet or stern drive with neutral trim.

Last edited:

nrbr

Reaction score
Did you disconnect the trim cylinders at the rear to see if the white plastic spacer in the drive placed to the rear or front of the ram pin? Granted, the 20 Spectra has a small vertical transom angle, but I just can't see how it has an issue, since these hulls plane out quite easily, jet or stern drive with neutral trim.
Yes I'm going to check that for sure

old rigger

Reaction score
The only benefit I can see from this is out of the hole performance if your transom angle is such that the drive is effectively always "trimmed up" too much.

I modified an outboard bracket because I couldn't get enough trim before I got into the low pressure tilt cylinder and ended up needing to trim down another few degrees at low speeds to kill a porpoise while towing skiers, and a set of wedges did that, but I can't see it on an outdrive boat.

Actually it's just the opposite, you end up with lots of down trim and less up. We use to install them on all the old Classic 20 I/Os at advantage back in the day, I didn't like installing them but I wasn't the owner.

nrbr, You’ll have to redo your engine mounts if you install and possibly your engine cover too.

Where did you set your X when you did the jet to I/O conversion?

We have a 20 Spectra I/O now with a very tired, never been rebuilt 1977 SBC in it, and our boat jumps on plane. Don't think the 20 needs one.

Last edited:

Cdog

Reaction score
Looks like I've found it! Dont know why I dont just call Bob everytime, he always has what I'm after for this boat... View attachment 739867

Are you getting bow slap when on plane? What prop are you running?

I believe we have similar hulls.

I have the Howard 21 RC I/o and went to a bravo 1 prop over the 3 blade the boat came with. Way more out of the hole and easy to plane.

But had terrible bow slap without running a lot of tab. Since then I went to a revolution 4 prop. Lost 5mph on the top end but the boat has much more transom lift and smoother ride.

I also bought a drive plate/fin from max machine but haven’t had a chance to try it yet.

old rigger

Reaction score
Just remember we also had washers made up to bolt the gimble in place after the wedge is installed. One side flat the other with a 5 degree face. The studs that are on the gimble won’t be at 90 degrees to the inside of the transom’s face, they’ll be 85 or 95 depending on how you measure.

guest hs

Reaction score
I have seen these on several 20.5 Carrera Elites over the years. If you do have the celery stick you have to be carful putting it in the opposite location because the gimbal ring ubolt nuts and what is sticking out past will hit the top bearing cap on the drive or if you have a drive shower with a hood it will hit it and bend it.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I have seen these on several 20.5 Carrera Elites over the years. If you do have the celery stick you have to be carful putting it in the opposite location because the gimbal ring ubolt nuts and what is sticking out past will hit the top bearing cap on the drive or if you have a drive shower with a hood it will hit it and bend it.

He be trying to move it down, not up

guest hs

Reaction score
Its just a warning because he may not know which way to go.

spectras only

Reaction score
As shlybintro already said it, the celery stick:D needs to be in front of the ram pin to get the lowest position for the drive. It's funny, some people always mention Spectras have a hook in the bottom that should help getting on plane, but none of mine had it, all three of them had a straight bottom.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
As shlybintro already said it, the celery stick:D needs to be in front of the ram pin to get the lowest position for the drive. It's funny, some people always mention Spectras have a hook in the bottom that should help getting on plane, but none of mine had it, all three of them had a straight bottom.

Even your 24?

spectras only

Reaction score
Yes my 24. It was a 1972. maybe some years were built different?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My grandpa's 20 definitely had a hook. The faster you'd go the further forward the wake would be coming off the hull. I e. More hull was being pulled down into the water with more force against it. No tabs or adjustable plates, just static cav plates that were only a couple inches long.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

nrbr

Reaction score
Mine had a massive hook being a jet I'd imagine. Pulled that out and widened the strakes when it was upside down. The tabs helped a ton with getting on plane. The idea with the wedge (I thought) was I wouldnt have to run so much tab and possibly go faster is all. It appears I may have been mistaken with this idea. Have a new 5 blade coming from chad hill. I'll try that and the wishbone idea you guys gave me and go from there. Thanks for taking the time to respond

Maestro

Reaction score
I have a aluminum plate with couple degrees built inito it.n my 28 cat. Helps to tuck the drive and plane easier. So I'm told.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Mine had a massive hook being a jet I'd imagine. Pulled that out and widened the strakes when it was upside down. The tabs helped a ton with getting on plane. The idea with the wedge (I thought) was I wouldnt have to run so much tab and possibly go faster is all. It appears I may have been mistaken with this idea. Have a new 5 blade coming from chad hill. I'll try that and the wishbone idea you guys gave me and go from there. Thanks for taking the time to respond

I've never been in a Spectra 20 that had any trouble coming on plane, and I've been in and driven a ton of them. Even Stacy's old one with the Merc 260 would rip on plane.

What is in your boat?

RD

nrbr

Reaction score
I've never been in a Spectra 20 that had any trouble coming on plane, and I've been in and driven a ton of them. Even Stacy's old one with the Merc 260 would rip on plane.

What is in your boat?

RD
Once the tabs went on it was fine to plane. Boat has a stock mercury 496ho. My issue is at speed I'm forced to run tabs down a bit which is fine when tricking the family around , but im sure its scrubbing speed when I open it up a bit. I'm gonna try playing with some props first and put wedge idea on backburner .

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Once the tabs went on it was fine to plane. Boat has a stock mercury 496ho. My issue is at speed I'm forced to run tabs down a bit which is fine when tricking the family around , but im sure its scrubbing speed when I open it up a bit. I'm gonna try playing with some props first and put wedge idea on backburner .

Is this the all white one?

The wedge idea is horrible. I wouldn’t waste your time with it. The tabs should be running even with the bottom of the boat or just below.

Spectra like to run flat, they don’t like to sit on the tail. You would be surprised there isn’t much speed to be gained on those by running them on the tail it just makes them ride terrible. The bow has a big entry and a long flat keel, and you should take advantage of that.

nrbr

Reaction score
Is this the all white one?

The wedge idea is horrible. I wouldn’t waste your time with it. The tabs should be running even with the bottom of the boat or just below.

Spectra like to run flat, they don’t like to sit on the tail. You would be surprised there isn’t much speed to be gained on those by running them on the tail it just makes them ride terrible. The bow has a big entry and a long flat keel, and you should take advantage of that.
No that one is nice though! Ours is white and blue. Theres a build thread in spectra section . Yes all things point to wedge being a bad idea... first time I've ever had one of those