WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

drives

Reaction score
Here we go.

Seems im thinking of buying a new boat. Going from a jet to a outdrive ( 502/ bravo 1) 22ft daytona. I can flat foot my jet and it will hook up and go. Say one does this with a drive. Can a drive be built to handle that?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Stock 502 Mag? Yes.. absolutely

400'ish HP in a light boat like that you won't break a standard Bravo 1. I'm not even remotely gentle with any of the boats I've owned or driven with mild power, and I've never broke one.

Now some 700 HP built 502 dealio.. Going to have to be more gentle, but in a light boat like that I'd still think you'd be able to run the piss out of it without breaking too much stuff.

RD

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score

400'ish HP in a light boat like that you won't break a standard Bravo 1. I'm not even remotely gentle with any of the boats I've owned or driven with mild power, and I've never broke one.

Now some 700 HP built 502 dealio.. Going to have to be more gentle, but in a light boat like that I'd still think you'd be able to run the piss out of it without breaking too much stuff.

RD

Dave you're absolutely right. HP is an important factor but so is boat weight. I know my dad's old Brummett had a 572 with about 750 HP and a stock Bravo (not an XR) and you could hammer that thing from a stand still and we never broke anything.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

RD

Dave you're absolutely right. HP is an important factor but so is boat weight. I know my dad's old Brummett had a 572 with about 750 HP and a stock Bravo (not an XR) and you could hammer that thing from a stand still and we never broke anything.

???? I'm a little wobbly still from the weekend but I thought I just said that? LOL

RD

Reaction score

RD
Now say one was going to toss a procharger or a whipple at the same bravo 1 / 502. Would it stand normal driving and the every now and then hammer on it?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Now say one was going to toss a procharger or a whipple at the same bravo 1 / 502. Would it stand normal driving and the every now and then hammer on it?

When you say "hammer" what exactly do you mean? You can run hard with an I/O and even accellerate hard.. but just "stab" it? I'd think you would want some kinda roll into it motion?

It shouldn't matter anyways, when you get outta that Jet you won't be so apt to "stab" the throttle trying to get outta your own way all the time..

RD

Reaction score
When you say "hammer" what exactly do you mean? You can run hard with an I/O and even accellerate hard.. but just "stab" it? I'd think you would want some kinda roll into it motion?

It shouldn't matter anyways, when you get outta that Jet you won't be so apt to "stab" the throttle trying to get outta your own way all the time..

RD
Roll yes. Should have said it like that.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Roll yes. Should have said it like that.

If you get a good XR drive I don't think you will have too many problems, if any..

My opinion is that it isn't so much the acceleration that kills drives, it's when you fly the boat.. The drive comes out of the water or slips a bit, the motor picks up RPM, Cats come down in the water and fill the tunnels, and there's a shitload of drag.. It loads up the drive and "snap."

If your looking for serious performance though, and no worries.. I'd look into a V-drive 21 Daytona, or a Cougar.. Then you got no fuck around neck snapping accelleration, smooth ride etc.. I can't think of a downside to one other then less interior room and there a little harder to setup at first.

RD

Reaction score
If you get a good XR drive I don't think you will have too many problems, if any..

My opinion is that it isn't so much the acceleration that kills drives, it's when you fly the boat.. The drive comes out of the water or slips a bit, the motor picks up RPM, Cats come down in the water and fill the tunnels, and there's a shitload of drag.. It loads up the drive and "snap."

If your looking for serious performance though, and no worries.. I'd look into a V-drive 21 Daytona, or a Cougar.. Then you got no fuck around neck snapping accelleration, smooth ride etc.. I can't think of a downside to one other then less interior room and there a little harder to setup at first.

RD
Kind of the same with a jet. U fly it and unload the pump re enter to the water and it loads and breaks shit. I get it now. Just trying to learn up and a hole new set up here.

Im hoping the deal works out. Its a killer boat and it runs good. 82 with a 26 on it right now. Not looking to break any records. In all honesty im tired of getting my ass kicked trying to go boating. The wife loves the jet, at 7 am when the water is good. I want something she can feel safe in.

WACAT

Banned
Reaction score
In all honesty im tired of getting my ass kicked trying to go boating. The wife loves the jet, at 7 am when the water is good. I want something she can feel safe in.

Go for the cat. Having recently made the switch I can tell you how happy we are. Especially at speed :D

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
first the gay little dog and now an outdrive?!?!? :fingers:

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Go for the cat. Having recently made the switch I can tell you how happy we are. Especially at speed :D

personally i like getting the crap beat out of me in the griz sometimes. you usually don't have to floss at night after a rough day of boating. :D :D

Last edited:

sean

Reaction score
tyro if your going to do this give me a call and ill fill ya in:thumbsup

cruzer

Reaction score
Tyro,

Let me know if you and/or Shannon want to go for a ride in mine. You don't have to change drives to the ride that a tunnel offers. Ask Keith.

Reaction score
Tyro,

Let me know if you and/or Shannon want to go for a ride in mine. You don't have to change drives to the ride that a tunnel offers. Ask Keith.
I drove keiths and i was hooked. The ride was like no other. Going from mine to that was like night and day. If the oppturnity is given im taking it:D

cruzer

Reaction score
I drove keiths and i was hooked. The ride was like no other. Going from mine to that was like night and day. If the oppturnity is given im taking it:D

When you gonna be out again?

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
Well, well, well... what have we here. The times they are a changing... :skull :D

Reaction score
Well, well, well... what have we here. The times they are a changing... :skull :D
They are man.

Now that seals and fish arent dieing everytime i go out, its no fun

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
They are man.

Now that seals and fish arent dieing everytime i go out, its no fun

Guess you gonna have to change your driving technique huh? Sitting on the opposite side of the boat to drive you'll have to hold your JBB dog with the other hand now. :D

So what ya getting, one of them Daytonas like you used to talk about? :thumbsup

Reaction score
Guess you gonna have to change your driving technique huh? Sitting on the opposite side of the boat to drive you'll have to hold your JBB dog with the other hand now. :D

So what ya getting, one of them Daytonas like you used to talk about? :thumbsup
Nope. Still a left hand drive like the kachina:D Yea one of those daytonas like i have always wanted. Hopefully it works out

And the small dog doesnt come to the lake. You think im a fool. To many chances to have pics taken.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Nope. Still a left hand drive like the kachina:D Yea one of those daytonas like i have always wanted. Hopefully it works out

And the small dog doesnt come to the lake. You think im a fool. To many chances to have pics taken.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeasy. i think i can dig up a pic from bartlett. :D

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score

How much power can a stock bravo handle?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
How much power can a stock bravo handle?

when they 1st came out Merc rated them for 600 HP.. That rating has gone down over the years.

It really depends on the application, and I'm not sure there is one "definite" right answer.

Short answer would be "a lot" in a light boat..

Shit mark halyaks stoker makes 1250 HP with a pretty much stock XR drive, and it's never broken it once.

RD

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
when they 1st came out Merc rated them for 600 HP.. That rating has gone down over the years.

It really depends on the application, and I'm not sure there is one "definite" right answer.

Short answer would be "a lot" in a light boat..

Shit mark halyaks stoker makes 1250 HP with a pretty much stock XR drive, and it's never broken it once.

RD

Thanks RD,

At what point do you think a boat is too heavy to run a stock XR with say 900hp?

sean

Reaction score
if you drive it correctly it wont be an issue. if you drive like a pissed off teenager well, its going to cost you

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
if you drive it correctly it wont be an issue. if you drive like a pissed off teenager well, its going to cost you

Not ver familiar with an outdrive, Ive always owned jets. What would be driving it correctly, not mashing the gas from dead stop?

NAFLASH

Reaction score
Turning sharp and mashing the gas. Mashing the gas from a dead stop. Running full kill in choppy water and unloading the prop.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Turning sharp and mashing the gas. Mashing the gas from a dead stop. Running full kill in choppy water and unloading the prop.

Thanks. Can they stay together at wide open throttle at speeds over 100mph for a long time or would I be asking for trouble?

sean

Reaction score
slow n easy and they live.... drive'em hard they break...

Last edited:

Hammer

Reaction score
this an old post but my old mans 1990 hallett 240 has had 3 blower motors in it current 1 being a blown 540. STOCK Bravo 1 except for a nose cone. He's never broken it because he eases into the throttle from halfway to 3/4 then hammers down (hand throttle BTW) ! I use to own a 22' eliminator Daytona with a bravo 1, GREAT boat to put some power to ! Stock it ran 76ish.... takes some seat time to get used to but i had a lot of fun and took it everywhere.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
this an old post but my old mans 1990 hallett 240 has had 3 blower motors in it current 1 being a blown 540. STOCK Bravo 1 except for a nose cone. He's never broken it because he eases into the throttle from halfway to 3/4 then hammers down (hand throttle BTW) ! I use to own a 22' eliminator Daytona with a bravo 1, GREAT boat to put some power to ! Stock it ran 76ish.... takes some seat time to get used to but i had a lot of fun and took it everywhere.

Your my Hero Hammer, thanks for reviving this.

And 460 your death threats are no longer valid...freakin drive dreamer. :D:D:D

HULLSHOT

Reaction score

Attachments

• 55[1].jpg
    55[1].jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 124[1].jpg
    124[1].jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 201

HULLSHOT

Reaction score
Also look at the Avi?? only went out one time that I did not go deep into the triple digits... Oh and it a stoker too.