WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Driving the coast- tips, tricks recommendations

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
I'm starting to plan a drive up or down the coast along Highway 1. This is what I want to do for my 40th, just me, my wife and my '91 Carrera. I'm looking for tips/recommendations and some answers to some questions please!

I grew up in SoCal- Newport. I've been up the coast but not on a drive stopping in cool places and enjoying the scenery and driving. Part of the want is having my car and enjoying the drive. We no longer live in California, so I will be shipping the car there and back. Flying in and out.

-What is recommended, driving north or south? Does it really make a difference?

-Best time of the year? keeping in mind we're in a '91 Carrera- A/C was an after thought, heat is so so. My wife will complain... She's already said "were will my luggage go? You don't have a stereo in that car?" Me: Hunny, I'll put a stereo back in it, pack light.

-We'll start or end in south OC. How far north would you go? In my mind we could start or end in Napa (would make the wife happy and could have friends meet us there)

-Some stops I want to make; Malibu, Santa Barbara, Pismo, Santa Maria, Morro Bay, Big Sur, Monterey, Carmel, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay, Golden Gate, Napa and then?

-Thinking about spreading this out over one week. Thoughts on that? Most places we would only stay a night. Big Sur we might want two nights, same with Napa.

-Any solid Porsche shops in san fran or Napa Valley area? Will need a place to either deliver to or have the car picked up from.

Whats the peanut gallery think?

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Traveling North on Hwy 1, late summer-early fall is probably the best time of year. FYI - When the NE’ly Santa Ana winds are at their strongest in SoCal, the weather in Central Cal is usually very good.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
id spend days of this trip in monterey carmel. Its my favorite place on earth. 17 mile drive is beyond amazing. Carmel is such an awesome lil city. the houses dont have addresess, they have names. Santa Cruz is cool for a minute or two but like i said 17 mile drive will take your breath away. I highly recommend dinner at Roys at Spanish bay. Get there before sunset when the fire pits are lit and the bagpiper is playing. With a couple glasses of wine in hand nothing better.

DWC

Reaction score
id spend days of this trip in monterey carmel. Its my favorite place on earth. 17 mile drive is beyond amazing. Carmel is such an awesome lil city. the houses dont have addresess, they have names. Santa Cruz is cool for a minute or two but like i said 17 mile drive will take your breath away. I highly recommend dinner at Roys at Spanish bay. Get there before sunset when the fire pits are lit and the bagpiper is playing. With a couple glasses of wine in hand nothing better.
Spot on @Dirtbag. Head to Goleta/Santa Barbara for the first night. Plenty of places to hang out. Morro bay, Hearst Castle, Carmel and end in Pebble/Spanish. Late lunch at tap room, drinks overlooking 18 and dinner at Roy’s. Cruise up the coast and then head over to wine country for the day or two. Hit Yosemite on the way back. Hotel in the park is very nice Couple right outside are very cool.

great_escape

Reaction score
Old Porsches thrive on that drive. Does your wife get car sick? If she doesn't and you don't mind being in the middle of nowhere I can put a few day drives on paper for you. Ventura to Monterey between HWY1 and I5 can be a lot of fun. North of the Bay Area offers some amazing roads and scenery.
IMG_5109.jpeg

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Fuck all that. Head to the peninsula 2nd week of August. Drive up from LA a few days early.

Taboma

Reaction score

I agree the Carmel drive is beautiful, loved a weekend we'd spent in Monterey years ago.
But gotta be honest, lost me with the bagpiper --- that or Mariachis and I'm out. 😖 ;)

Magic Mike

Reaction score
Stop at Malibu seafood on the way, great little place. Zuma beach, Leo Carrillo, Neptune’s net. Carpinteria cool little town. Santa Barbara zoo. Pismo beach. Hearst castle was awesome at night! 17 mile drive as mentioned absolutely beautiful...
It is a great trip!!

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
driving north on the 1 sucks if you want to stop for pics
people going south make it hard to pull over
crossing traffic is HARRY

so for PCH pics plan going back home south
and just rally going north
stop at the Elephant seals before Hurts Castle

RodnJen

Reaction score
One of our favorite trips. Like was said above, going south is better for pics if that is a priority. Cambria is also a favorite stop of ours. There a plenty of small places to stop for wine tasting if you are interested. You are going to miss a lot doing it just one way, but that's ok it gives you a reason to do it again.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
You have to cross the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco. There is a park called the presidio there. It was an old military fort going back to the 1850’s. It’s under the bridge and to the west for the views. You want to check out the bluffs and views of the ocean and bay at the gate. Plan on pulling off right before the bridge then take a walking tour and check out the scenery. There is an old fort under the south side of the bridge. There are also some old ruins, lighthouses and forts north of the bridge in the Marin Highlands

In Half Moon Bay there are some snack meal stops in Pillar Point harbor. You can hike to Mavericks from there. So check out the harbor.

People mentioned Carmel, Monterey, Aptos and Santa Cruz. Spend the night there. Santa Cruz can be shady at times so stay in Monterey.

Going north the road to Bolinas sux. Just slow. Most of it is private there. They were working on Highway 1 north of that so check the road conditions.

Last edited:

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I used to head out many weekends, when I lived in Pasadena.
Run out the 10 freeway to the end, then off at Lincoln, right , then left on Colorado and down to Ocean.
Head north then drop onto PCH at the California Incline. Tons of movies and TV shows had scenes here.
Zuma is probably worth getting out and walking down to. So many TV shows and movies filmed there as well.
Then just head north and have fun.
Malibu Road. Malibu Colony, Malibu Lagoon.
Buzz through Santa Barbara, but heading up to Los Olivos as alternative is great for wine tasting.
There are a ton of tasting rooms in town. (Not sure if they are open)...

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Wana make the wife extra happy.... Plan on spending a night at a B&B in Paso or Cambria and do a little wine tasting in the afternoon/evening. The drive to a lot of the smaller wineries on Paso's west side are breathtaking. Honestly will rival PCH in many areas.

Halvecto

Reaction score
I'm not a Porsche guy, but I do appreciate wrench skills and people who can put a cool twist on a classic and make it go better. If you like the classic 911 with some modern tuning and tweaks, try to find a way to see Magnus Walker's collection. He puts out restorations meant to be driven. There is quite a few videos about his work.

The other shop that I have seen and read about in LA is the Singer Vehicle Design. I think its in some warehouse area in Sun Valley. They did Leno's 911.

Last edited:

beerrun

Reaction score
Just an offer if you wanted to ship the car to my house in Ramona then fly into San Diego we could pick you up and bring you to your car and send you on your way car car can stay in my garage till you leave

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Last time we did Hearst Castle we booked the last tour of the day. Our tour guide said she had no place to go, the castle was our's because we were the only group left. A memorable experience for sure. Nearby Moonstone Beach had a number of nice places to stay. Wife enjoyed the old stores in Cambria. I lived in Morro Bay in the early 70s. Back then it was a small town made up of hard working fishermen, a few cowboys and workers at the Diablo Canyon Nuclear plant. Good people, nice town.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I prefer highway 1 north of the bay area. Way less traffic and incredibly beautiful. I'd hammer up the 101 to Leggett and pickup hwy 1 there. That about 20 miles stretch to the coast in a 911 will have you grinning like a fool for miles after.

A bunch of little towns along the way but Ft. Bragg and of course, Mendocino are mandatory stops. Head south to SF and cross the Golden Gate. SF is fun but no way would I leave a Porsche parked in the city.

Others have covered the route south from there. Napa is nice but further inland.

I'd skip Santa Barbara and Malibu. Nice but not really much to see there, especially after driving the whole coast.

Like others have mentioned, going south keeps you on the ocean side of the road. You should be keeping your eyes on the road but your wife will get a nice unobstructed view.

Hopefully, covid shit won't fuck up your trip.

thmterry

Reaction score
I have talked about doing this for years but life always seem to get in the way. Have fun!!!

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I have talked about doing this for years but life always seem to get in the way. Have fun!!!

The coast will always be there.
But you won't!
Make it a priority. You won't regret it!

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
Go during spring or early summer. Guaranteed to be fires in the fall.

zbudman

Coors Light Strong
Reaction score
I’m in Santa Maria. We do this trip often to Monterey. Hearst Castle is closed because of Covid. In my opinion, Hwy 1 is the best from Morro Bay to Monterey.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Ride a bicycle. Its faster. Get behind a prius and do 15 mph for 3 hours. Hate that drive