WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Drones.... skool me

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I want to get a drone. I have been looking at the DJ mavic pro. Is this a good drone? Are there better for less money. What do you have and like about them?

I need help, point me in the right direction

rvrrun

Reaction score
My buddy has the mavic and loves it. He just bought another but it’s smaller (mavic jr?). The best thing about this smaller size is no need for FAA license. It’s also cheaper and has about the same flight time and features. We took it up a few days ago in some decent wind and it did well, not as good as the larger Mavic though.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
I have the Mavic Pro and its great. Very easy to get the basics down and fly around, which reminds me I need to take mine out and play with it.. The Mavic.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I have the Mavic Pro and its great. Very easy to get the basics down and fly around, which reminds me I need to take mine out and play with it.. The Mavic.

Same here. It is easy out of the box but I do not fly it enough.

PlanB

Reaction score
Take a look at the Skydio 2. I was set to buy a Mavic Pro, but this new American made drone is pretty cool. It has much better sensors that the DJI's, and is extremely easy to use with it's home beacon.

sintax

Reaction score
Mavic Pro is a great drone, but its way over kill for the casual user. They just released a Mavic mini that is ideal for someone who just wants to play around and get good footage. The pro has better specs, but it comes at a cost.

Reactions: TPC

rvrrun

Reaction score
Mavic Pro is a great drone, but its way over kill for the casual user. They just released a Mavic mini that is ideal for someone who just wants to play around and get good footage. The pro has better specs, but it comes at a cost.
That’s the one! The mini is nice if you’re not flying in high winds.

sintax

Reaction score
That’s the one! The mini is nice if you’re not flying in high winds.

yea, just gotta kind understand the limits. But if you are a DCB guy, then just get the pro and dont f'around

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at the Mavic Air. Does 4K video and some pretty cool flight modes to get some good shots without having to be a pro flier. I see lightly used ones listed for $500-600

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I want to get a drone. I have been looking at the DJ mavic pro. Is this a good drone? Are there better for less money. What do you have and like about them?

I need help, point me in the right direction
I got the mini , crashed a P4 and a mini :(

Meaney77

Reaction score
My 2 cents- Buy something cheap!

I was super pumped to get a drone because I thought I was going to film all kinds of cool stuff and take pics, etc..and my wife got me one for Christmas a few years ago.

The thing works perfect but I completely lost interest and it sits on a shelf in the garage! Luckily it wasn't super expensive.

EPL

Reaction score
I would say it depends on what your looking for , I have a DJ Spark which is a small drone and has been great for what i want to do !! Takes great pictures , very compact , comes back to home on it's own .

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-05 at 7.44.52 PM.jpeg

Arrived tonight!:D

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I bought the DJI Spark from Sintax here on the boards. I won’t lie I’ve spent less time in the air but been real busy lately and haven’t really left the neighborhood. However it came with two (for 300$ killer deal) but i bought a third battery a wrap and a car charger plug (another 100$) so I’m in it 400$, took about 1/2 hour to get a hang of it now it’s a blast. Few things i still have t figured out but haven’t really tried hard.
I’ve semi contemplated a Mavic but why it’s three times the money and twice as hard to control same camera but does 45 instead of 30mph and in the air 30 is hauling assssssss.
You can find a spark on OfferUp or FB marketplace for similar money all day long or new for 600 with the fly-more package so I’d honestly say go that route. I love mine, may have to fly tomorrow now depending upon weather.
8E4A6D62-89F7-4CBC-AE07-0E12B3044539.jpeg
B4763CF1-3A6F-4DF5-B53B-53DB17266F8F.jpeg

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I need something that can handle some wind. Will be used at powell, havasu and various desert locations as well as some urban environments

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I need something that can handle some wind. Will be used at powell, havasu and various desert locations as well as some urban environments
Get a hexa instead of a quad copter then.
I love my yuneec typhoon h. It wont fit in your pocket like a dji but the quality and flight is unmatched.
Id suggest looking into their mantis line if you want a portable quad.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

I’d still suggest the DJI’s and the Spark. But none will really handle wind over a breeze unless you go commercial grade.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I’d still suggest the DJI’s and the Spark. But none will really handle wind over a breeze unless you go commercial grade.
You dont need to go commercial. You just need to know what youre getting. DJI is the equivalent to an iphone.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a Mavic Air and love it. I got it for the unique photography perspective, but it turns out that it's fun as hell to fly it too.

As a side note, StateFarm offers a super cheap insurance policy that doesn't require that you recover a lost drone (many do). Pretty good deal if you're like me and fly mostly over the river, the ocean, or other places you'f never be able to find your lost drone.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Bought my kids a few cheapy drones off amazon.. Actually pretty legit for the money. Ive tried to fly them a few times.. Holy shit its stressful..or im just uncoordinated as hell. I get it up pretty high and panic and drop it right down.. No more droning for me:D:p

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Many others have it also I think, but the follow feature on the Mavic air is quickly becoming one of my favorite things. These are gifs made by my phone of videos on my phone, so that's why the quality sucks, but you get the idea. Pretty cool to hold a beer and have the thing follow whatever you target it on.
SmartSelect_20200206-075852_Gallery.gif
SmartSelect_20200206-083025_Gallery.gif

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Many others have it also I think, but the follow feature on the Mavic air is quickly becoming one of my favorite things. These are gifs made by my phone of videos on my phone, so that's why the quality sucks, but you get the idea. Pretty cool to hold a beer and have the thing follow whatever you target it on. View attachment 842512 View attachment 842515

That is very cool.

I am curious though. If I launched one of these drones from the boat, rather than land, would your hands get chopped to shit when you retrieved it? Or do you have to land it on something solid rather than catching it?

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is very cool.

I am curious though. If I launched one of these drones from the boat, rather than land, would your hands get chopped to shit when you retrieved it? Or do you have to land it on something solid rather than catching it?

Takes some balls and finesse to learn to catch it. It will absolutely slice the shit out of you if the props hit you. Because of the obstacle avoidance, if you reach up under it too slowly you'll forever be trying to grab it as it moves up and away from you. You have to be like a fukkin ninja and confidently reach under it and grab it as it then tries to take off with you attached to it. You can power down using the controller or flip it over to power it down. I can't hold and use the controller with one hand, so I opt to flip it. I've read that it can put a strain on the motors to do that, so whenever possible I try to plan to have somewhere to land.

Mikes56

Reaction score
Get the Mavic Pro you'll love it. All kinds of instructional videos on You Tube

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I hope so.
I have the first Mavic pro and it's too fussy a set-up for casual use. So fussy it seems to get between us and having fun. I understand the later version is more user friendly and even it's own controller avail making straight up use easier than getting one's iPhone to jive with it all.
I like plug an play.
I'll check out the new mini.

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
If your willing to spend the money go with the DJI Mavic Pro 2 zoom. I have it and its badass. watch the youtube tutorials and you'll figure it out quickly. The obstacle avoidance is way better than the original Mavic Pro and I'm not sure why people are saying they can't handle wind. I have flown mine in 45mph wind no problem, the technology in them is incredible and it can hover in the wind all on its own. It does take getting used to but if you really want to use a drone and make cool videos that it the way to go. The Zoom was the best option for boating and offroad, its a better camera when your trying to get shots and not have to fly 5ft off a boat or car

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I have a different take on what drone to buy, I have the Mavic Mini and it's been great. Just the physical size of the drone makes things nice, I pack it in my backpack and travel with it on planes. And since the Mini comes in under 250 grams it's considered a toy and you don't have to deal with registering it with the FAA. The only real drawbacks are it's not 4k but 2.7k (plenty for most), there is no optical avoidance on board and it doesn't have Active track/follow me mode. Active track/follow me mode would be real nice for boating and off-roading. But the next DJI drone up from the mini is the Air. The Air really is a great drone, it has optical avoidance, active track/follow me mode but it's bigger and is double the cost and should be registered with the FAA. But at $500 the Mini is hard to beat and comes with everything you need to fly with extra batteries.

Oh by the way, it flies excellent in strong winds, totally rock solid video all the time. I've flown it a couple miles over the ocean, the thing is very reliable, if you fly it too far and you lose control and video, it simply flies itself back to you or until you gain control of it.

Here's a quick video I threw together last week when I was in Miami.

Last edited:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
That is very cool.

A buddy bought one of the new Mavics apprx 3 years back for I guess around $1300.... it was super slick and sized just right. He got up to speed and asked if I'd take him out in the pacific for some whale/ dolphin vids. He had it up following us through the harbor and right before I hit throttles to open ocean he asked me to wait in idle so he could bring it in for battery swap. I watched him hold controls in one hand while slowly bringing it down to land in his free hand. Big challenge.... apparently these things have a sensor and not sure what happened but that thing turned to the side and angled down really fast hitting side of my boat and sunk like a brick. We were in 20 feet in a pretty busy opening to Newport Harbor ... he chucked the controls in the bow area he was flying from, dove in with 200.00 sunglasses and never found that damn thing. His insurance apparently didn't cover water and not being able to recover it even though the gps records show last signal. Terrible day on the water... I still poor a little beer there as I go out. Good news is his ladyfriend bought him a new one. I have a couple buddies who got these... my advice is buy a used one.... they seem to end up in closets pretty quickly after honeymoon stage. Great videos though for sure.

mbrown2

Reaction score
That is very cool.

We have launched them from boats under sail in BVI...when bringing them they have sensors on the front and would see the boat or you hand and not want to land. Just turn them reverse and back into your hand and that works. The sensors don't are not on the back of the Mavic or Spark. I back them right into my hand...once you have a grip just hit land button.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
We have launched them from boats under sail in BVI...when bringing them they have sensors on the front and would see the boat or you hand and not want to land. Just turn them reverse and back into your hand and that works. The sensors don't are not on the back of the Mavic or Spark. I back them right into my hand...once you have a grip just hit land button.
I know one guy who would've benefited from knowing that ha!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
These drones are pretty cool and that lil Mavic would haul ass disappearing fast into the blue sky with a 4 mile radius hitting 45 knots in sports mode I heard. The video technology is leading edge. When we have our winter swells at Newport Beaches/ Wedge with 20-25 footers the drone dudes come from everywhere. I saw huge numbers laying on blankets in every size and shape on our last big storm from New Zealand. Check out YouTube if curious... most post there.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
So I picked up a refurbished DJI mavic pro for 450$ Can’t wait to fly it

Reactions: DWC