WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dropped exhaust valve

Dalton

Reaction score
Is there no chance of the short block being good?

IMG_0166.JPG

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Is there no chance of the short block being good?

There is always a chance. Depends on the rpm it dropped, how long it ran after, if you tried to restart it before you gave up.

Piston has little chance of being any good, but your rods and block could be. Hopefully the head is.

Got to take the head off and see sir. Don't be scared, it is too late to be worried, the damage is done now.

Brian

Dalton

Reaction score
There is always a chance. Depends on the rpm it dropped, how long it ran after, did you try and restart it before you gave up.

Piston has little chance of being any good, but your rods and block could be.

Got to take the head off. Don't be scared, it is too late to be worried, the damage is done now.

Brian

It still ran ok, just less power and more vibration, i probably ran it 20 minutes after I noticed it just to get back to the launch ramp. Taking the head off now.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
It still ran ok, just less power and more vibration, i probably ran it 20 minutes after I noticed it just to get back to the launch ramp. Taking the head off now.

Oh my.

You made your bed at that point.

Less power and more vibration. Noted.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Taking the head off now.

Those are the pictures that matter.

Bring the affected cylinder all the way down in the bore and get a good look all around the bore.

You are local to Socal right?

Brian

Dalton

Reaction score
Those are the pictures that matter.

Bring the affected cylinder all the way down in the bore and get a good look all around the bore.

You are local to Socal right?

Brian

I'm in havasu, for a bit

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I would gather if you ran it under power, with no ungodly noises, then the valve either broke into a million pieces and went out the exhaust port, or more likely, it is embedded in the piston top.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
20 minutes lol

I've caught them within seconds. Some easy and some bad. Never gone 20 minutes though so I'm intrigued with this one.

Need to find out why that one let loose and whether or not the others haven't. Hopefully you can find the broken end and it didn't find itself elsewhere.

Keep us posted...

Dalton

Reaction score
On the other sides exhaust flapper the rubber is missing, was thinking this sides rubber was missing also maybe causing reversion? But this side has all the rubber. Here's a good valve from the same side. I'll prob have the head off tomorrow.

IMG_0165.JPG

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Plan on replacing all the valves regardless of what you find.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
That's not actually a "dropped valve", it's broken. If there was no water problem on this side of the engine (which could definitely cause breakage due to thermal shock), it may be from exhaust temperature in that cylinder, or perhaps even fatigue from age or something.

It will be interesting to see, if the head is hammered I possibly may have a single one down in Parker, depends what you have.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have a set of heads that just need a valve job if you need.

RaceTec

Reaction score
Depending on what you find and Barry can help you out with the head, if you just need a single piston we can help you out...
We can even match weight so that there is no balance issues... Just have Barry get me all of the details.

Dalton

Reaction score
Wow thanks guys, I messaged Barry a while back before I took anything apart and he actually predicted a broken valve with very few details. I stayed at BJ's a little too long last night but will get this cylinder head off today.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
That's not actually a "dropped valve", it's broken. If there was no water problem on this side of the engine (which could definitely cause breakage due to thermal shock), it may be from exhaust temperature in that cylinder, or perhaps even fatigue from age or something.

It will be interesting to see, if the head is hammered I possibly may have a single one down in Parker, depends what you have.

It may have dropped, before it got tagged. :) Just sayin

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Valve colors look decent. #2 looks a little hot to me. Bore looks like a nice ding and pushed in at 7 oclock or so in the picture, Near the bolt hole. Deck looks damaged at 8 oclock. Is that just an optical conclusion?

Head looks beat up but savable from the pictures. I would definitely have it mag checked.

Id get a real good look at the bore if I were you when you tear it down the rest of the way.

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Wipe the bore with a paper towel or rag and retake the picture.

Dalton

Reaction score
Where is the valve head?

That's a great question. Could it of gone flying out the exhaust? Haven't snooped in the exhaust manifold too hard yet. The bore has what I would call slight damage, I can feel it with my finger nail though. So I'm guessing that is too much.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
That's a great question. Could it of gone flying out the exhaust? Haven't snooped in the exhaust manifold too hard yet. The bore has what I would call slight damage, I can feel it with my finger nail though. So I'm guessing that is too much.

Yes sir, certainly possible, that is why I am asking. That is probably why the whole thing didn't grenade when you ran it for so long afterword.

Block is probably junk if it has any marks in it. If it is standard, and assuming you can bore it .06, that is only .03 to bore out, per side.

Bore looks "pushed in" to me, near the threaded bolt hole at 8 oclock.

Dalton

Reaction score
Yes sir, certainly possible, that is why I am asking.

Block is probably junk if it has any marks in it. If it is standard, and assuming you can bore it .06, that is only .03 to bore out, per side.

Bore looks "pushed in" to me, near the threaded bolt hole at 8 oclock.

Haha damn yeah it's a 468

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Haha damn yeah it's a 468

I don't know the bore size of a 468, but it would be needed to be looked at to see if it is any good. Id look up Barry(Obnoxious) here on the boards and see what he has to say, he is out in AZ.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Just looked them up, not crazy expensive actually

Yep, by the time you locate a new or used OE, and have it mag checked.....

Bucks ahead.

Take your block and head to a shop first, you never know until you try.

Look around on here, might be able to find something too.

BUSTI

Reaction score
Just looked them up, not crazy expensive actually

Not crazy at all. I've been quoted by two reputable builders in so cal to refresh my 460 BBC and after doing all the numbers I'm just going to start new with an aftermarket block. Everything pan to heads.

If you would like any help i can shoot you my list as a starting point.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
The block can be saved, a good shop can install a "step sleeve" if that cylinder has too much damage to clean up, or more importantly if it's cracked. People tend to shy away from sleeved blocks, but think about it, aluminum blocks are all sleeved.

That being said, first step is to have the block carefully inspected, then make a decision.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Looking at the photo of the cylinder head and it's valves with the 'lost one', I suggest you get in touch with a professional, before you put this back together .

The fact that this motor was 'driven for a number of minutes AFTER a known failure', and now we are all inspecting 'questionable readings', I am going to pass on an opinion .

Get this thing to Barry, and pay for the knowledge he has gained over 35 plus years of doing this stuff .

Don't bother robbing a 7-11, you will most likely need more like 'El Torito', or 'Chilli's' kind of gross cash to fix this thing correctly ................ HA HA

Dalton

Reaction score
The block can be saved, a good shop can install a "step sleeve" if that cylinder has too much damage to clean up, or more importantly if it's cracked. People tend to shy away from sleeved blocks, but think about it, aluminum blocks are all sleeved.

That being said, first step is to have the block carefully inspected, then make a decision.

Hey Barry, what's your phone number?

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
I ran a 468 for 10+ years with four sleeves in one side of the block. Turned 6k every time it was out never skipped a beat...

Now as far as the block im going to say you are very lucky. I had a SBC once that had a 1/4 inch stud fall in the carb. When the guy started it the stud hit the top of the piston. It split the piston like a piece of firewood. It broke the block all the way to the crank boss on the underside....NFG!!!!

Oilman

Reaction score
IMG_6353.jpg
We saved ours after breaking a valve but we shut it down after it went. There is always someone that will give you a tow.
1 new piston, 1 valve and new springs cleaned up the cylinder and valve seat.
We got lucky the valve hung at high RPM and kissed the piston before it broke.