WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dslr cameras

badluck

Reaction score
Ok, my 10 yr old son has been on a rampage about a dslr camera. He wants one that takes video. I’m not buying Him a new one as he’s 10 and I want to see how much he uses it. I will say he has an eye and takes some really cool shots with an iPhone. I know 0 about them. Recommendations? What’s a fair price for used and what add ons are key? Thanks

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Ok, my 10 yr old son has been on a rampage about a dslr camera. He wants one that takes video. I’m not buying Him a new one as he’s 10 and I want to see how much he uses it. I will say he has an eye and takes some really cool shots with an iPhone. I know 0 about them. Recommendations? What’s a fair price for used and what add ons are key? Thanks
I paid 186.00 for a refurb canon with 50mm lens. @pronstar posted up a link to deals through Canon. I should have bought two.

outboard_256

Reaction score

The lenes will cost you more than the body in the long run so I would pick a brand that you want to stick with and then just look for something used that will fit the bill. Usually any kit lens (lenses that come with the camera's as a package) can be found pretty cheap used and you can get a good range. Also several aftermarket companies make lenses so make sure they make them for your brand and you can have more options.

What is your buget? Add on's I would get a tripod, flash, wireless remote, camera bag, uv filters for the lenes, spare battery, 50mm prime lens, and a few kit zoom lenes of different ranges. That will give him a good base to start with and you can add on from there depending what type of photography he gets into.

badluck

Reaction score
I’m thinking a few hundred. Not sure what that will get me but if he’s that into it and stays with it I’d definitely be into helping him get more equipment

Wheeler

Reaction score
I paid 186.00 for a refurb canon with 50mm lens. @pronstar posted up a link to deals through Canon. I should have bought two.
This photo was shot with the canon I bought along with a 25 year old non image stabilized lens that I had laying about from a 35mm camera. Not the cleanest photo but it'll do for internet posts

IMG_9716 - Edited.jpg

Wheeler

Reaction score
Here's a video from the same camera.

flip a coin and pick between Nikon and Canon. He'll figure it out as he goes.

Wheeler

Reaction score
I’m thinking a few hundred. Not sure what that will get me but if he’s that into it and stays with it I’d definitely be into helping him get more equipment

Drew

Banned
Reaction score
I have the rebel with three different lenses . Love it. Only problem I ever had was with the zoom on one lense. But other than that it’s as good as it gets for sure. I bought it about 5 years ago so I paid a lot. Between the camera an the other lenses and remote flash and reflective umbrella shit my wife said we had to have I’m in about $3800.00. But you don’t need all that shit

77charger

Reaction score
Pick up and older 60d or equivalent be cheap to buy and do good enough.

Lenses make the dslr and user skills. I still have a 60d with a 70-200 which I’ve shot 1000s of Motorsports pics. These days I rarely use it but I’m sure I will get a better pic than a regular person who buys canons latest and only used “auto mode”.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Pick up and older 60d or equivalent be cheap to buy and do good enough.

Lenses make the dslr and user skills. I still have a 60d with a 70-200 which I’ve shot 1000s of Motorsports pics. These days I rarely use it but I’m sure I will get a better pic than a regular person who buys canons latest and only used “auto mode”.
The 70- 200 2.8 L is the bench mark for all.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Is that the aircraft laid up on the Springs beach?
It was flying out of Topock when I shot the video. I haven't seen it in quite some time then again I don't get out as much as I used to.

DLC

Reaction score
if you have NOTHING

look at

canon
nikon
sony - they bought Minolta

in San Diego if you buy a camera ( body ) from George‘s camera shop they will give a free lesson and teach you how to use it- we did this 15 years ago it was cool wife really liked it
look for a local shop close to home that has good customer service

there are a ton of 2nd hand equipment, lenses add you fast stick with one that will take to you professional if he decides to to that route.

Camera bodies can come and go but the lenses stay a long time! So pick a brand and jump in!

in high school I was a year book photographer took 1,000’s of pics for the book, you get to go to all kinds of games. And meet people like girls!! Hello

im 53 and still like it, wife and I go on photo safari’s just drive around and look for a quick snap…. Something if interest… Wild flowers, boats, off road, people who knows what will catch his eye…

badluck

Reaction score
There are several 60d’s on marketplace. I might head that direction

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Good old Andre Agassi. You’re dating yourself. 😂
Luckily he’s a lot older than me but the EOS rebel ads he did made a lot of People (women) go buy cameras I know that’s why my older cousin got hers!

ssc

Reaction score
Assuming he wants to take stills and mostly video, then the questions get greater than what DSLR. I am a canon shooter. I have over $30,000 in quality canon lens. However, I don't use my DSLR's for video. I am also a member on the Fred Miranda site. You might want to do some reading and they have a great section for buy/sale used equipment. As mentioned, canon has refurbished gear with a warranty, but you pay shipping and tax. I have bought great gear off FM.

In the canon world, everyone seems to be going mirrorless. There is Nikon and sony, but I don't know anything about them. If I was interested in a new camera body today, I would get the canon R6. From what I read, they are great at both still and video. As a matter of fact, I may still do it. I bought the adaptor for my lens. However, I am getting lazy. I prefer to take pictures and video with my iphone. It is much easier to carry that than 30 LB's of camera gear. I wish I knew which of the canon models shoot good video. I know the 5dm4 has a good rep and is better than the 5dm3. I am unaware of the video characteristics of the 6D. Once again, I am reading your post to say your son wants a dslr mainly for video. If it was only stills than there are many less expensive cameras from canon in the rebel line, but have no clue on video.

Good luck, Steve

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Canon a t4i or above will have auto focus for video. But you’ll need a usm lens or you’ll hear the servo motor in your mic on the base or even an external. The normal lenses are pretty noisy. The base doesn’t really make a huge difference unless you’re going pro. It’s all in the lens.

I do some pretty good stuff with even my t2i and a good lens. He really needs to take a basic camera course to learn the basics around apterature etc.

They’re fun!
AF304CA5-EC39-489F-87B0-4C9E455D1AB5.jpeg

5FE8F5DB-A26D-4236-A1B0-62510B316387.jpeg

Last edited:

AzMandella

Reaction score
Like it has been said above a good refurb Rebel is the way to go . They are a little smaller than the D series bodies and will fit his hands much better . If video is his main interest get one with a usm zoom lens . If pictures are his main interest than I highly recomend a prime lens like a 35mm or 50mm. It will force him to use his feet to compose his shots rather than just zooming in or out . Really will help develop composition in framing his shots .

My first DSLR was the Canon 20D about 18yrs ago . Since then I have had a 5D , 1Ds MkII , and now shoot with a 5D MkIII . And my 50mm 1:2L prime lens is still my favorite to use indoors and close outdoors .

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I haven't bought a new piece of camera equipment in probably 15 years . . . there's so many good deals on craigslist.
Photography technology has skyrocketed in the las 15-20 years it's crazy . . . there's a ton of 'photo-geeks' that just HAVE to have the latest and greatest, regardless if they need it or not. This has created a large used equipment market which is great.
I switched to Sony a few years back . . . but to be honest, I'd recommend going Canon for a young dude just getting into it. IMO they have a much more robust 'build', and the chances are probably greater your son may bang it around a bit more.
All the 6D 7D 60D (full frame) models etc. along with the Rebel line had really developed well, prior to the movement over to mirrorless . . . so you can't go wrong with any of those . . . . . BTW . . . I have no experience with Nikon, but have 2 friends who will only shoot them . . . they are built excellent perhaps even better than Canon.
Cool to hear a youngster getting into shooting !

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
BH camera is a huge internet based shop

BH is such a great company, their customer service is great!

I also agree with others about the Canon Rebel, it's a great little camera and you can get one new with a lens for the same price as a GoPro. This will get him in the game.

Reactions: DLC

AzMandella

Reaction score
BH is such a great company, their customer service is great!

I also agree with others about the Canon Rebel, it's a great little camera and you can get one new with a lens for the same price as a GoPro. This will get him in the game.
B&H is great . I have actually been in their store in NY,NY. absolutely huge store with everything .

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
B&H is great . I have actually been in their store in NY,NY. absolutely huge store with everything .
That's awesome. B&H is where a lot of my money goes these days, I use their "Payboo" credit card that instantly gives you your tax back. Pretty nice on big ticket items that don't get discounted very much. And B&H price matches too...

77charger

Reaction score
There are several 60d’s on marketplace. I might head that direction
I know I mentioned a 60d as a start but dint think they are auto focus on video something to consider I remembered this after seeing a t4i Suggested too.

But basically don’t overlook some older cameras ssc makes strong recommendations

AzMandella

Reaction score
That's awesome. B&H is where a lot of my money goes these days, I use their "Payboo" credit card that instantly gives you your tax back. Pretty nice on big ticket items that don't get discounted very much. And B&H price matches too...
Tell me about it . It can be real addictive .
I have
5D mkIII body
Lenses
70-200 2.8L II
24-70 2.8L II
16-35 2.8L Original
50 1.2 L II
4- 600 EX and EXII flashes
Lots of pocket Wizards
an the list of umbrellas and softboxes would take to long to list .
I think B&H has a big chunk of my retirement fund .

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Another Canon fan here.

This is a great site for learning...

badluck

Reaction score
I know I mentioned a 60d as a start but dint think they are auto focus on video something to consider I remembered this after seeing a t4i Suggested too.

But basically don’t overlook some older cameras ssc makes strong recommendations
Which one has an auto focus for video?

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Which one has an auto focus for video?

the t4i and beyond (5i, 6i, etc) also the 50D mark II and higher

if you're doing video you want continuous video autofocus. if you're filming a podcast or doing a video game stream etc where your subjects arent moving around and everything is static you can get away without it and go with a cheaper camera. but anything moving... AF is a must.

if you go with a higher end base, you'll gain some features here and there but nothing like "WOW OMG!" the biggest difference is going to be the sensor and the amount of pixels. with video thats going to give you more ability to post process zoom and stabilize. but files will be larger. editing 4k aint easy, nor is storing it.

on that note... youll want a large FAST storage card, or cards, and a spare battery. video and the continuous autofocus will hog a battery and sd card pretty quickly. the default shoulder strap is nice, but can create noise in a video flopping around or get in the way, so most will remove it in favor of like a handstrap so you dont drop it, or a rig with handle(s).

Last edited:

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
I got into cameras a few years ago and mainly do video with mine. Everyone likes cannon but I've always had sony. Some might say I'm wrong but Sony's video abilities are better than cannon. Definitely go mirrorless over DSLR. Mirrorless is where the industry is going. If he wants to get into video I would start with sony, their image stabilization and auto focus is unbelievable. He's pretty young so I'm sure HD or 4k video won't make a big difference. If you want a really good 4k entry level camera i would look at the sony A6400. That was my first sony camera and it can get some amazing shots. It works awesome for both photo and video. You can pick them up used for around $500 or so. Depending on what he is trying to film i would get a basic telephoto lens 18-70mm. it would be a great overall package for someone starting out

Last edited:

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
Some good youtubers to watch are

Potato Jet

Matti Haapoja

Peter Lindgren

They all mainly do filming and do alot of explaining about how to film, set up shots, and set up the cameras. There is way more too it than some might think

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
My wife’s first was a Canon Rebel 5 bundle. And it’s still her go to even tho it’s by far her cheapest. Two lenses the body battery’s etc for 400$

Check the sales on the Rebel from Canon.

AzMandella

Reaction score
Another Canon fan here.

This is a great site for learning...

DPR is a great site for info on gear . But all the gear in the world won't do much good if you don't know how to use it and understand lighting . A strobe , umbrella , stand , and radio trigger can really help understanding lighting . All can be had on the cheap or way up in price .
Here is a great page for Strobing . https://strobist.blogspot.com/

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
DPR is a great site for info on gear . But all the gear in the world won't do much good if you don't know how to use it and understand lighting . A strobe , umbrella , stand , and radio trigger can really help understanding lighting . All can be had on the cheap or way up in price .
Here is a great page for Strobing . https://strobist.blogspot.com/

Absolutely. There are lots of great books out there on Photography. It's 100% about lighting. 👍

lantz

Reaction score
The comment made about wanting to know how much he'll use it is dead on!

I'd feel out the extended family and friends to see if someone you know has something that they bought a while ago and is sitting on a shelf. Ask to borrow it and maybe offer to have it cleaned and serviced when done if it's something that can be cleaned and serviced.

Let him experiment with what you borrow and see where that goes.

Once it's a thing, then you can start to figure out the Nikon, Cannon, Sony thing and which lenses you want to get. Then you can decide on classes. editing software, mono/tripods, external lighting equipment, etc.

Encourage it, but keep it simple. It is easy to get sucked into the rabbit hole too quickly, and you are stuck with a lot of sorta good equipment with no resale value.

badluck

Reaction score
The comment made about wanting to know how much he'll use it is dead on!

I'd feel out the extended family and friends to see if someone you know has something that they bought a while ago and is sitting on a shelf. Ask to borrow it and maybe offer to have it cleaned and serviced when done if it's something that can be cleaned and serviced.

Let him experiment with what you borrow and see where that goes.

Once it's a thing, then you can start to figure out the Nikon, Cannon, Sony thing and which lenses you want to get. Then you can decide on classes. editing software, mono/tripods, external lighting equipment, etc.

Encourage it, but keep it simple. It is easy to get sucked into the rabbit hole too quickly, and you are stuck with a lot of sorta good equipment with no resale value.
That’s exactly what we did. Friend of ours let him borrow 1 that doesn’t take videos and he does seem to use it a fair amount

Spudsbud

Reaction score
New gear
BHPhoto.com Prices and cust serv are 2nd to none.
NOT used gear.
Great starter camera ? Nikon D300. $200.00 or so. Millions on Ebay.
Get him a camera and you'll never scratch your head for birthdays or Christmas......

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I missed this thread earlier. There’s a ton of good info in this thread. I agree with the notion that choosing a platform and sticking with it is a good idea. However, at 10 years old I feel like the most important thing for the future is going to be stoking his creative fire. When it comes to producing good images and compelling video shots, understanding composition, light, and how to tell a visual story will take you much further than the tech in your hand. You may want to consider a mirrorless micro 4/3 camera like the LUMIX G95 or similar. The smaller footprint will be easier for him to handle and they pack a lot of capabilities in a small package that won’t break the bank. It isn’t the platform he’ll stay on his whole life, but he has plenty of time to figure that out as he grows into the capabilities of this camera.
Other than that encourage him to shoot everything he sees. The more you shoot the faster you learn. You’ll see pretty quick if his interest is going to stick or not. Right now all that matters is how excited he is to create something.

badluck

Reaction score
He says the canon 60d is what he’s most interested in. What’s a fair price for a used one? Looking on marketplace

boatpi

Reaction score
I am a Nikon fan, but I use the made in Japan lenses, the best. Bot Cannon and Nikon have advantages, nothing like the unlimited settings on DLSR's. I generally set mine at f11 at 1000 ISO for the best all around point and shoot uses.

ssc

Reaction score
I saw your post. I am not aware there is a minimum number of posts needed to PM. The PM button is at the bottom of his post. Sometimes folks are reluctant to deal with new people. I will try to get some info. You could try to post, "I'll take it. Please send me payment info."

Cheers, Steve