WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dual Electric Hatch Ram Help

jbird

Reaction score
Having an issue with my duel hatch ram set up. Every time I go to raise and hit the toggle switch i just hear a click coming from the engine compartment. If I toggle the switch to close then open again, sometime just a click again or one ram will start to raise. Basically it take a couple to several toggles of the switch to get the rams to sync and go up together. Never an issue when closing, just on opening of the hatch.

Boat is a 2007 Howard Sport Deck

Any thoughts on where to start diagnosing?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_4854.jpg

fmo24

Reaction score
Sometimes low voltage will cause this. Check all the connections or one could be ready to croke.

havasu5150

Reaction score
As fmo24 stated. Check all of your connections and batteries. I have an identical set up on my Conquest and I thought I had a bad ram. Changed batteries....good to go.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Not sure if you have a relay installed inline with the hatch rams or not, but it fixed the low voltage issue on my boats hatch ram. Mine works like a charm.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
If you have those black rocker switches it might be the switch, I had to replace mine.

jbird

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! I did check connections and all seems good.

BBH-I looked for a relay but did not see one.

Maybe use an volt meter to check voltage at the motors?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You need to install a relay back by the rams themselves. Right now all the power to lift the rams is going up to the dash, through that little switch and back to them. As things get older you will have to toggle the switch a couple of times to get them to work.

If you install a relay back there then it will just send a small signal to the switch that will go back to the relay to open / close the relay and send power to the rams. This has been going on forever, and on most boats if you have electric rams you are going to deal with it at some point or another.

I myself am still "toggling" the switch on my Schiada.. LOL But at some point I'm going to have to fix it.

RD

rush1

Reaction score
Mine did that all of the time I installed two relays one for up and one for down works perfectly every time now. I down loaded the wiring schematic from Offshore only.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I would do the relay thing and also replace the switch. Given you are having issues with it, the life expectancy is probably near.

jbird

Reaction score
Mine did that all of the time I installed two relays one for up and one for down works perfectly every time now. I down loaded the wiring schematic from Offshore only.

Here is what I found on OSO. Is this what you did?

"you will need 2 bosch 40 amp relay's follow this wireing exactly the way i give it to you and you wont end up with smoke..

turn the relay up side down and you will see numbers next to the spades coming off of them..

relay 1 # 85 & 87 loop the spades and tie them together,this wire will go to the + fused side of the battery..
# 87 a center spade will go to - or ground....
# 86 will go to your up or down switch
# 30 will go to one of the wires on the accuator..

Relay # 2 follow the same diagram,you can loop all the 85's and 87's together(power),,,you can do the same with the 87a's(ground)..

thease relays will reverse power and ground at the accuator..

disconnect the the ground wire going to the switch and everything will work fine.."

And the relays look something like this??

Relays.JPG

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score

"you will need 2 bosch 40 amp relay's follow this wireing exactly the way i give it to you and you wont end up with smoke..

turn the relay up side down and you will see numbers next to the spades coming off of them..

relay 1 # 85 & 87 loop the spades and tie them together,this wire will go to the + fused side of the battery..

Relay # 2 follow the same diagram,you can loop all the 85's and 87's together(power),,,you can do the same with the 87a's(ground)..

disconnect the the ground wire going to the switch and everything will work fine.."

View attachment 675326

Check out this thread by an awesome inmate....
https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/hatch-ram-wiring.146086/

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Your welcome. You need fast hatch rams to show off that bitchin motor!

70sangersean

Reaction score
You could also get one of these to simplify the job. Cost more then a couple relays but makes for an easier and cleaner install
15348211922141172196821111183447.jpg
15348212138846048092734096278916.jpg
15348212381409195272561262110901.jpg

rush1

Reaction score

View attachment 675326
Yep that's it
safe hatch wiring.jpg

this is the schematic I use , if you have two rams just do the same for each ram